1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Tomjanovich to resign from Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rikesh316, Feb 1, 2005.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can't believe any speculation that this is a Kobe-related thing. First reaction is that the stomach virus wasn't really a stomach virus but a recurrence. Rudy wouldn't skip a game to fake an illness as cover for player issues. There hasn't been a peep about the Lakers not getting along with him, anyway.

Evan

-edit- consider me eating at least a few words from above. pass the salt.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

OK, these are some of the exact words from the Lakers fans on their message, and two of them came after knowing this is a health issue. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Most of them are civilized and some are sympathetic, after all, Lakers fans or not, we are all humanbeings with families and feelings as well. However, can you imagine any person, just ANY person say this kinds of things about someone after knowing he might have cancer?

Die, Lakers, die!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

4. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Be careful of your wish. I think that Kobe is stronger than you are and before you have a chance to beat the s**t out of him, you will be raped like there is no tomorrow.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Are you sure? All I'm finding is he had a stomach virus.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It was all a ploy to begin with. Rudy T goes in and gives Kobe Huge minutes to wear him out and to show the world he can't carry a team on his own. Kobe goes down and Rudy comes back to us in the front office and lures Odom to Houston after building a good rapport with the guy. :)

Hey I can dream can't I?

Get healthy rudy :(

8. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

NOW, praise the Lord! Rudy's cancer free!!!!!!

9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

no all of them are bashing him... just some loser, yahoos

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I hope Rudy T will be ok and its not anything serious.

Forget the lakers and their "fans" they have always been some of the classless people around.

Hopefully Rudy T comes back to the rockets in some sort of position, he truly deserves it.

I hope this will stop any Yao to LA threads because of Rudy.

11. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1981564

Rudy Tomjanovich will step down as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers after tonight's game against the Portland Trail Blazers, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

His health, although not a relapse of bladder cancer, and dissatisfaction with the way the Lakers are playing contributed to the decision, sources told Bucher.

Tomjanovich missed Sunday's game because of a stomach virus, and did not attend practice on Monday.

Assistant coach Frank Hamblen will become the interim coach.

The Lakers hired Tomjanovich on July 10, replacing Phil Jackson. They are 23-19, in seventh place in the Western Conference.

Tomjanovich left the coaching ranks over a year earlier to fight bladder cancer. He previously coached the Houston Rockets for 12 seasons, winning NBA championships in 1994 and 1995.

"It's just excitement, nothing but excitement," Tomjanovich said about his return. "It's a positive. I've been like a young school boy since this has happened. At times I haven't gotten to sleep, but it's not anxiety. It's excitement."

After losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, the Lakers ended their successful partnership with Jackson and traded Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That is great to hear.... atleast I hope that's not the case for real rather than them just choosing not to reveal it. It has to be serious though for him to resign in his first season.

I went to a Lakers board and the vast majority were very respectful and didn't want it to be because of a cancer relapse. I don't think the reaction there would be any different than here if Van Gundy quit because of legitimate health reasons. There would be a couple celebrating, but the vast majority of those who want him let go would not want any health problems for him.

13. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Good thing it's not too serious (health wise that is).

14. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

ESPN.com news services

Rudy Tomjanovich will step down as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers after tonight's game against the Portland Trail Blazers, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

His health, although not a relapse of bladder cancer, and dissatisfaction with the way the Lakers are playing contributed to the decision, sources told Bucher.

Tomjanovich missed Sunday's game because of a stomach virus, and did not attend practice on Monday.

Assistant coach Frank Hamblen will become the interim coach.

The Lakers hired Tomjanovich on July 10, replacing Phil Jackson. They are 23-19, in seventh place in the Western Conference.

Tomjanovich left the coaching ranks over a year earlier to fight bladder cancer. He previously coached the Houston Rockets for 12 seasons, winning NBA championships in 1994 and 1995.

"It's just excitement, nothing but excitement," Tomjanovich said about his return. "It's a positive. I've been like a young school boy since this has happened. At times I haven't gotten to sleep, but it's not anxiety. It's excitement."

After losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, the Lakers ended their successful partnership with Jackson and traded Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

15. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I bet it was Kobe...

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Kobe Bryant's now driven 2 Hall of Fame coaches out of LA. Nice.

17. patlabor1

patlabor1 Member

There goes one of the reasons How the Lakers could get Ming.

I wonder if Van Gundy stinks it up this year or early next there might be an opening for Rudy T. to come back maybe (if his health recovers in the first place).

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Now people can stop using the Rudy T excuse for Yao wanting to go to LA

I hope he gets better

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

WTF!!!! Can't be all that bad, or maybe it can be...Not sure if its health related, but if not, this sux arse...

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

WOW. I`ll be curious to hear what the true reason was for stepping down. Not sure I buy into the fact that he was unhappy with the way the Lakers were playing as a reason to quit. If its his health I can understand that, but something doesnt seem to jive. I cant see him quitting just because the lakers were playing poorly