1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy T to be elected to Houston Sports HOF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alexcapone, Sep 26, 2019.

1. cebu

cebu Member

They're running out of candidates..

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is the thing Tilman just made up, right? He could have just posted a thread.

3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

This is awesome!! Now when are those ****ers at the HOF going to wake up? He should have been in years ago with all of his accomplishments. I mean he won a GD gold medal for team USA as a coach too, his coaching alone is worthy enough, but then all the other accolades during his bball career including coming back from one of the worst sucker punches in sports (leaking cerebral fluid), back then the medical options were to wait and see. And hope, I mean even now it's very serious but then??? That's typically it.

D-rock and burlesk like this.
  4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's a complete outrage that Rudy isn't in the Hall. Besides his sterling record as an NBA head coach, taking Houston to 2 championships and who's coaching arguably transformed how the game is played in the NBA to this day, Rudy T was a 5 time NBA All Star.
    • NBA Champion head coach (1994, 1995)
    • Head coach of the gold medalist USA men's basketball team at the 2000 Summer Olympics
    • Head coach of the bronze medalist USA men's basketball team at the 1998 FIBA World Championship
    • 5-time All-Star (1974–1977, 1979) (his jersey #45 retired by the Houston Rockets)
    • NCAA All-American (1970)
    • All-time University of Michigan leader in rebounds. Second on U-M all-time list in points per game (his jersey #45 retired by the University)
    • Averaged 17.4 points per game on 50.1% shooting during his NBA career
    • Michigan Sports Hall of Fame
    • Houston Sports Hall of Fame (this year)

D-rock, burlesk, BamBam and 2 others like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The man is a living legend, and deserves to be there but honestly, with his - ruining of sports illustrated having prints ready for nyk, and then basically saying gtfo with that Jordan talk for 94 (not 95, lol, Jordan played), and not giving a **** what non-rockets fans thought, he basically told them to stick it.

I loved how he said it on that Clutch City special from a Few years back, basically the Rockets proved it and he doesn't need anyone to validate the what if bs. I mean he came from a hard blue collar city basically within the city of Detroit and became the American Dream - aka making it by work and realizing it really doesn't matter what these other assholes think, in the end his Rockets won.

I actually met him at a Rockets closed basketball practice, he actually took time to talk with me, he was so down to earth. I really liked him - definitely a professional and a players coach. I mean he sure as hell didn't have to talk to me (a 19 y/o kid that managed to get into a closed rockets practice, I even got a picture with him when he was free after practice, he could have easily said - "go away").

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

New York media hated that he denied the Knicks a title
    That Ewing and Starks team was so loved by New York media , it hurt them hard they lost

burlesk and CCity Zero like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The lakers messed over rudy t coaching career after firing him two weeks into a season LOL

8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Seriously, Rudy T should of been the 2nd wave behind #34s. 1st championship in the major sports in Houston. We all get old, but his voice still remains the same

D-rock, burlesk and CCity Zero like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yes!! Exactly, and it was so awesome! Especially that block by Hakeem on that 3 from Starks, game saving play. And then getting to watch Hakeem destroy Ewing. And all of Rudy's reactions, loved it! Haha Rudy was so worried hakeem might foul there but he did it just right (just perfect on Starks 3).

burlesk, don grahamleone and tinman like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, this, all day long. I mean the guy did more than a lot of other guys in the Hall (and as both a player and as a coach), such bs, should have been first ballot.

burlesk, Deckard and don grahamleone like this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

Knicks fans keeping crying over that series
    Everyone in the world knows starks is a streak shooter
    He can go 10 for 10 or 0 for 10
    They got outplayed by the Rockets and Dream firmly established he was superior to Ewing

burlesk and CCity Zero like this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, I was so happy Hakeem got a chance to prove it on the bigger stage and did it over a 7 game series, and then got to thoroughly dismantle Robinson and Shaq in 95.

burlesk and don grahamleone like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Dream is the best 1 on 1 player of all time.

Who in the playoffs or regular season can guard that guy 1x1?

14. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

How Chuck Daly is in the NBA HOF and Rudy isn’t is a travesty. Daly deserves it but so does Rudy, 10 fold. I just don’t get it.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I was his neighbor when he moved into my neighborhood. Absolutely an amazing family. He should be in the hall of fame and it truly is an atrocity that he is not in there. He has earned it. The world knows it and and everyone that watches basketball knows it.

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rudy Tomjanovich needs to be hired as a special advisor Coach for Mike DAntoni and his coaches, scouts, there is a Championship experience that is sorely needed in Coaching right now. At least stay in Houston and be around the team.

burlesk likes this.
  17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Rudy T should have some say in this organization. He is our Red Auerbach. Rudy T was once an innovator that changed basketball. That doesn't go away over night. I am sure he has something up his sleeve that he could teach mike d'antoni.

burlesk likes this.
  18. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Except they didn't fire him, he resigned for health reasons. I always felt like Rudy T coaching the Lakers was really unnatural... He doesn't seem like an LA guy at all.

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Exactly, a lot of people forget about his health issues at that time. I mean he continued to work for their org after. If he were fired/on bad terms he wouldn't have been there still (especially for many years after). I wish he could have rejoined the Rockets in some capacity.

Also iirc, Kobe pushed for Rudy to get hired.

For me it also felt unnatural as a Houston fan. I mean he was w/ the Rockets in some form since SD, and I don't like the Lakers.

#39 CCity Zero, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    burlesk likes this.
  20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Rude T went out in a shameful manner after winning two championships!