1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rudy should hire Lon Kruger as an assistant head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdastros, Jan 28, 2003.

1. cdastros

cdastros Member

For those who dont know Lon Kruger is former atlanta hawks head coach. He also help Rudy coach the world championship team of cba players to a bronze medal. The Nba players coulden't even medal so that shows something. Rudy also said that coaching with Lon was one of the best coaching experince he has ever had. What do you guys think.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i think lon looks funny when he smiles. so he would be a bad coach.

3. dwmyers

dwmyers Contributing Member

Lon had real problems handling the Atlanta squad. I think he has issues with motivating professional athletes. I don't question his knowledge of the game, but I question his ability to assemble and manage a squad of winning pros.

Dave

4. HonestAbe

HonestAbe Contributing Member

Perhaps head of team marketing!;)

5. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

and that wouldn't complement Rudy's shortcomings very well. The inmates would still run the asylum. What we need is a kick-your-butt type assistant to play bad cop to Rudy's good cop.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need a coaching enema....what is Bill Fitch doing these days?

DD

7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Where is Scott Brooks? and isn't he coaching at a basketball camp or something?

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Pull a Memphis Grizzlies and hire an old coach. Anyone like Dr.Jack Ramsey as an assistant coach? :D

All seriousness aside they need to hire Terry Tate Office linebacker :D

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the head coach is a Eunich, all other assistants lose their manhood too.

If they don't listen to Rudy, then what makes you think they would listen to his assistants?

DD

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

As a Illini fan, I've never like the guy where he was our coach. But I hate Lou more:mad:

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is this Dallas? Are the Rox looking to add one or ten more coaches?

Either add someone for a specific reason -- a Larry Brown clone for the backcourt. A Yao personal tutor.

Or a new head coach? Why doesn't someone just suggest that?

12. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Here's something that I found interesting -- I had a party for the Lakers/Rockets game. Some of the attendees were high-school basketball coaches -- one of them was an up and coming, young Assistant coach. We were talking about the coaching staff, and he was of the opinion that the Rockets' biggest problem is that the assistant coaches are not very good. Now, I can't speak to the validity of his claims, but his argument is that virtually none of them are basketball guys -- most were guys who did other things in the organization, and moved up into coaching. His assertion was that when Bill Berry left, we lost a lot because he was such a good assistant. I wonder if he's got a point -- perhaps we need to hire some better assitant coaches. I would *LOVE* to see John Lucas come back as our assistant coach (although I doubt he would take a "demotion" like that), as he worked with a lot of our players at Westside during the off-season. He's a very good basketball mind, and oh yeah, he's a former Rocket!

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Coaches, like players, have to fit in. Would Luke fit in with the braintrust? Would Kruger fit in with the talent?

Me? I'd like to see Red Holtzman, reincarnate, take over the reins. He'd be Heaven sent.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is a good post! Go on Rockets.com and check the bio's of the 3 assistant coaches. One former player with no other coaching experience and 2 former video coordinators! Could it be that they are on the staff because they are "yes men"? Is that why Bill Berry left?