1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy: Rockets 6th Man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

So the Blazers are definitely shopping Rudy Fernandez with the signing of Wesley Matthews. They have also mentioned asking for a future pick for him. IMO, Rudy has the potential of being our Manu Ginobili type of player off the bench.

The question: Would you give up a future 1st round pick for him?

By the way, Rudy can also play PG. Like what he did in the Euro League. So he could be our main SG/Scorer/6th man off the bench and possibly our 3rd PG if need be. He also plays with the same intensity and passion as Scola which we all adore. Not to mention he's lethal from deep, a good off the ball player and a slasher. He would thrive in Adelman's system.

2. Moahst

Moahst Member

My only question is why did he fail so miserably in Portland? I know they were just using him as a spot up shooter but why didn't his time on court bring any other aspects of his game to the coaches attention?

3. Roxs-Redemption

i personally dont know but
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-qVdYIQ5Bnc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-qVdYIQ5Bnc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

4. opticon

opticon Member

Sure I would like to have him but this asking price would be to high. I dont think the Blazers are going to let him stay out west they are either going to send him east or let him go back to Europe.

I think Morey should approach this situation the same way he did with Scola. Make a decent offer and let them think about. If they get desperate maybe they do the deal. But I would not hold my breath.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

WHy would we want a guy who can't crack the rotation on a team that is worse than ours to be our 6th man? no thanks

6. opticon

opticon Member

Hey made a play for the ball. Brandon Roy was the one being a Baby.

7. PeppermintCandy

Don't watch a lot of Blazers games but from what I've seen, I'm not sold on Fernandez. Definitely highly skilled but he doesn't seem to have the "killer instinct" to be a Ginobili type off the bench. I've noticed him looking lost out there at times especially on the defensive end.

But as it's been frequently noted on this board, Daryl Morey's pretty high on him.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

good ft shooter, good from beyond the arc, would make a decent backup to martin when we need perimeter shooting, or for more minutes at the 2 when martin is out.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

As much as I dislike everything about Ariza, he did nothing wrong on that play

10. ThaShark316_28

I think rudy needs to be in an offense where he can not only hit the 3, but get those easy buckets. Not that Portland can't get easy baskets, but they are predominantly a jump shooting team.

Wonder if with Houston, or hell, a team like Utah, he'll have a better time on the offensive end.

11. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Oh I thought this was a thread about that Gay guy

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What an awful defender Rudy Fernandez is... I wish Daryl Morey could snag us someone that could play some defense at the SG spot...

13. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

He's tailor made for RA's system. Knock-down shooter, plays off the ball well, and a very good and agressive cutter. He struggled with Nate Mcmillans system and he had inconsistent playing minutes. He would definitely be a fan favorite in Houston, no doubt.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

I absolutely love Rudy's game. He really wasnt used right in Nate McMillan's team(not a good offensive coach). He was reduced to just being a 3 point shooter, when he is really a great off the ball guy.

I imagine Adelman must be salivating at the thought of having rudy on the rockets. Just another step into becoming more like the sacramento kings.

15. Big Daddy Roy

Big Daddy Roy New Member

rudy would be a great pickup to come off the bench. 2nd unit would be stacked and highly competitive. great shooter who has good dribblling skills and a good passer. one first rounder and whatever reasonably completes the trade.

16. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

And the ostrich looks on at the 7:00 min mark.

1 person likes this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love Rudy but he won't come here to be a 6th man.

He wants to be a starter.

18. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

+1
    Young Bobby Jackson 2.0!

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with wanting RF, but he wants to be a starter, and here he would be sandwiched between Kevin and Chase; and when Adelman goes small AB, and when Adelman goes big Ariza. I'm afraid Rudy might find the minutes here not to his liking either.

20. raining threes

I'm a big Rudy fan.

Getting him would solve alot of problems. Depends on what Portland wants for him. He would be a perfect fit in Adelmans offense and be the 3rd pg this team is lacking.

Would you give up Bud or Battier for him ? That's likely the cost of making a trade.