1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Offered! (UPDATE: Rudy to coach Lakers - News Conference July 10, 3pm Central)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 6, 2004.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I also hate LA and Jordan to the death

I want Rudy T in Houston and JVG as an assistant coach

for PG i want Van Exel

I want Najera!!!!!!

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

The "Rocket at Heart" was MURDERED by Les Alexander thirteen months ago.

3. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2672429

You and I know Rudy Tomjanovich could coach a team that didn’t have Kobe Bryant and Sha-quille O’Neal and still win.

Yes, he’s that good at putting pieces together. He’s that good at mixing the right parts, making a compatible team out of diverse personalities and winning with simple above-average talent.

He draws the best out of role players and the most out of complementary parts. He doesn’t need O’Neal or Bryant. But this is LA. Simply winning isn’t good enough. Above-average doesn’t cut it.

Winning championships is the standard.

Rudy T knows this. And while the basketball world believed the brief delay before making Tomjanovich’s arrival as Lakers head coach official was about ironing out contract details, the reality was Tomjanovich was making sure he’ll have at least one of the two cornerstone Lakers pieces next season and beyond.

He’ll have Kobe. O’Neal, meanwhile, will be traded to the Miami Heat.

Shaq dealt, Kobe appeased
    Here’s how a high-placed NBA source detailed the final hours of gritty negotiations involving Bryant and O’Neal before Lakers spokesman John Black officially announced Tomjanovich’s hiring Friday.

Bryant spent Thursday afternoon entertaining club officials and offers from the Clippers, Nuggets, Knicks, Spurs and finally the Lakers at a Newport Beach hotel. Every team came with big promises and big money. They promised the world.

But when Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak came in, he promised Bryant the two things he wanted most:

1) The new Lakers coach would be Tomjanovich, whose up-tempo style suits Bryant perfectly. 2) O’Neal, whose relationship with Bryant soured badly in recent years, would be traded to the Heat in exchange for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler, Brian Grant and a 2005 first-round pick.

A calm voice in the storm
    The trade proposal made Bryant tingle at the possibilities as Odom (17.1 points per game in 2004) and Butler (9.2), each just 24, also thrive in an up-tempo style and with Bryant would reignite the Showtime Lakers.

Grant, at 32, offers muscle, rebounding and — best of all — doesn’t demand the ball, although he averaged 11.4 points last season.

Bryant got exactly what he wanted. The Lakers will be his team and his team alone. And he now has a coach who will make sure of it.

Bryant and Lakers fans might have a hunch about what they’re getting with Tomjanovich, but if only they truly knew how good Tomjanovich will be for this often dysfunctional team. He will be the calming voice amid the storm.

He will protect his players publicly, take the fall for them when things are bad and offer a style that suits them, instead of sticking a square peg into a triangle offense.

Tomjanovich will give them everything they have been craving and, in all likelihood, make Bryant even better.

The only thing that worries Tomjanovich and the Lakers today is, strangely enough, Carlos Boozer. He might have nothing to do with the Lakers’ plans, but Boozer’s agent, Rob Pelinka, recently double-crossed the Cavaliers when he convinced that club that Boozer would re-sign with them, only to take a $68 million offer from the Jazz. Pelinka also is Bryant’s agent.

Kupchak has offered Bryant seven years and more than $130 million, the maximum allowed by the league’s collective bargaining agreement. Bryant told Kupchak on Friday, the source said, that he would indeed take it.

We’ll see.

If Pelinka reneges, both deals could collapse and Tomjanovich could be left with neither Bryant or O’Neal. But when Tomjanovich landed in Los Angeles on Friday, his first order of business was speaking with Bryant, reassuring Bryant of his hopes to build a title around him and giving him all the right complementary pieces.

Chalk up Rudy T’s first big win for the Lakers. It was Tomjanovich, in fact, who made Bryant’s signing a reality by providing the impetus for the Shaq trade, including Odom and not Dwyane Wade in the Heat deal.

Throughout the O’Neal trade talks it appeared the deal would not happen and, as a result, Bryant would leave LA. The three main teams in the talks — the Pacers, Mavericks and Heat — refused to give up key pieces. The Pacers didn’t want to part with Jermaine O’Neal, the Mavericks clung to Dirk Nowitzki and the Heat hoped to protect Wade.

But once Tomjanovich became the clear choice as coach, he pushed for Odom instead of Wade.

Already, Rudy T is doing what he does best, soothing personalities, mixing all the right parts, essentially pumping life into the heart of his next champion.

Barring a change of heart by Pelinka or cold feet by the Heat, everyone finally will get what they wanted.

Tomjanovich will have his dream job. Bryant will have his team. And Shaq will have the trade he demanded.

Shaq is gone. But Showtime is back.

What an off season!!!

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so the chronicle is saying the whole lakers fiasco has all been wrapped up nicely in a matter of hours. hopefully there's a thread in NBA Dish or ESPN report to confirm it because damn that was quick.

5. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Does this mean I have to like LA now? Crap. :(

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

even though it's at rudy's expense, FINALLY a quality big goes west to east.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Shaq Will Put up 30 Points 13 Boards a game in the East. When Yao goes up against shaq, it's the battel of the East V West...

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

the van gundy brothers with the monopoly on the big men.

9. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Shaq Paired with Wade, Butler and Eddy jones, forms a hell of a core to build on. especially in the bigman-less east. i expect a Heat, Pacers or Pistons scrap for the Title in the east.

10. HoneyNut Ichiro

HoneyNut Ichiro Contributing Member

Kinda ironic isn't it? At least Yao'll only have to face Shaq twice a year.

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

remember steve after we sent him to the magic "I got to get myself to the east...."

Well damn things are gonna be almost as hard for you..

12. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Damn wrong thread....

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm no expert, but the difference IMO between the Cavs and the Wolves is the Wolves promised Joe Smith money in the future that they did not have for him to sign. The Cavs didn't make any such promises to Boozer.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2672359

---------------------------------------------

July 10, 2004, 1:27AM

Rudy T agrees to coach Lakers
    Career Rocket to receive $30 million deal
    By JEROME SOLOMON
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle
    RESOURCES

LOS ANGELES - Rudy Tomjanovich, the winningest coach in Rockets history, has agreed to take over one of the most storied franchises in basketball history — one that he once sued because one of its players nearly took his life.

On Friday, a Lakers spokesman said Tomjanovich, who has spent the last 34 years with the Rockets, has verbally agreed to a deal and will be formally introduced as the Lakers coach this afternoon.

Two months ago, Tomjanovich said he wasn’t interested in getting into coaching any time soon, though he was pronounced healthy after leaving the Rockets a year ago after being diagnosed with bladder cancer.

He served as a scout for the Rockets this past season.

"I have a little plan to wait a couple years to watch my health," Tomjanovich said in May. "That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t listen. Right now, I’m not looking to do anything. I want to get another year, at least another year, maybe more, of health under my belt.

"I love what I do. I still love being part of the Rockets and probably always will."

That changed with an offer from the Lakers, but it took a while to consummate.

Though Tomjanovich taking the job was considered a virtual certainty after Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski turned down the position on Monday, Tomjanovich did not arrive in town to sign a contract until Friday.

The agreement is believed to be a five-year deal worth $30 million.

Tomjanovich and the Lakers once reached a $3.25 million judgment against the team after being punched by former Laker Kermit Washington.

The near-tragic incident occurred in a game in Houston on Dec. 9, 1977, with Tomjanovich suffering face and skull fractures, a broken nose, a separated jaw, and a cerebral concussion. He also had spinal fluid leak from his brain capsule for several days.

Though never quite the same player, Tomjanovich recovered and played three more seasons.

In all, Tomjanovich played 11 years in the NBA, all with the Rockets, with his rookie season coming in 1970-71, the year before the team moved to Houston from San Diego.

He took over as the Rockets coach a little past midway of the 1990-91 season, replacing Don Chaney. The team went 16-14 the remainder of that season.

Houston averaged 53 wins a year in Tomjanovich’s first five full seasons and won back-to-back NBA championships in 1994 and 1995.

The Rockets renamed Houston "Clutch City" during the first championship run after a newspaper headline dubbed the town "Choke City" when the Rockets blew huge leads in back-to-back home games against the Phoenix Suns in the Western Conference semifinals.

After the second title — which the Rockets won as the first team to ever win four playoff series against opponents with 50 or more wins — Tomjanovich delivered the phrase that has since turned into a mantra for winners in a variety of sports: "Don’t ever underestimate the heart of a champion."

But the Rockets fell on hard times near the end of Tomjanovich’s tenure.

After four consecutive seasons without making the playoffs, Tomjanovich stepped down following the 2002-03 season to deal with the cancer.

He functioned as a scout for the Rockets this past season while undergoing treatment. Now diagnosed as healthy, Tomjanovich, 55, returns to the game with a team that is in turmoil.

Topping the list of troubles is Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant, two of the top players in the league who have had a running feud for years.

Despite their battles, Los Angeles won three consecutive NBA championships before falling to San Antonio in the playoffs a year ago.

In the offseason, the Lakers added Gary Payton and Karl Malone, but Detroit dominated them in the NBA Finals 4-1.

Shortly thereafter, the team announced that coach Phil Jackson would not return. That is the least of its problems.

Each of LA’s four likely Hall-of-Famers has issues that Tomjanovich must deal with:

• O’Neal says he wants to be traded, and all indications are that a deal has been worked out to send the big man to the Miami Heat.

• Bryant is a free agent — and he has met with a handful of teams in the past few days — though sources say he approves of Tomjanovich’s hiring.

• Malone is an free agent and coming off knee surgery after a disappointing playoffs.

• Payton had perhaps his worst season in the NBA.

All of that, and Tomjanovich wasn’t even the team’s first choice to fill the position.

He was the first to interview for the job, but the Lakers openly courted Krzyzewski, hoping to lure the college coach with an $8 million-a-year offer.

The team also spoke with former Lakers coach Pat Riley and North Carolina coach Roy Williams.

Tomjanovich is one of only seven coaches in NBA history to win consecutive championships and one of only 12 to have more than one title.

15. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

How much will it suck if Malone decides to come back this year and play for Rudy?

I mean, I will always want to support Rudy, but if he and Karla are on the same team, I think my head will explode.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Press conference at 3 PM.

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~28541~2263681,00.html"><b>L.A.Daily News: It's Rudy to the rescue</b></a>

<b>It's Rudy to the rescue</b>

Lakers finally seal the deal with former Rockets coach
    By Howard Beck, Staff Writer
    <i>Article Published: Friday, July 9, 2004 - 10:03:40 PM PST</i>

Wedged in the discomfiting space between eras -- one spectacularly colored by parades and feuds, another bathed in uncomfortable shades of gray -- the Lakers reached for stability and a soft touch and at last made Rudy Tomjanovich their coach Friday.

The Houston Rockets icon, and coach of two championship teams in the 1990s, landed at LAX in the early evening and was greeted by a handful of local TV crews at Terminal 6.

He will be introduced today at a 1 p.m. press conference at Staples Center, where the celebration will be tempered by questions over Kobe Bryant's intentions and Shaquille O'Neal's foul mood.

But for one sunny afternoon in El Segundo, a franchise exhaled -- reassured by the presence of an established winner, and hopeful that his championship touch won't be wasted on a rebuilding project.

"We're just excited to be here," Jesse Brown, Tomjanovich's business manager, said by phone Friday evening, as the Tomjanovich delegation -- including the coach's wife, Sophia -- navigated rush-hour traffic.

True to L.A. form, Tomjanovich's arrival was overdue -- by weeks, in fact. He had been tapped as the front-runner for the job soon after Phil Jackson was dismissed June 18. But his coronation was delayed by the Lakers' quixotic pursuit of Mike Krzyzewski and then by protracted negotiations with Tomjanovich's lawyer this week.

Team officials came back to him Monday night, after Krzyzewski -- to no one's surprise -- elected to stay at Duke. Tomjanovich had been in daily contact with the Lakers throughout their dalliances with Krzyzewski, Pat Riley and others, and stood ready to accept the job as soon as it was offered.

The 55-year-old with the raspy voice and easy demeanor finally agreed to terms Friday morning, putting an energetic new face on a worn and weary dynasty.

General manager Mitch Kupchak declined to take calls Friday, preferring to wait 24 hours before fielding questions about the chaos over which he and Tomjanovich now jointly preside.

Tomjanovich inherits a team whose fate is, as ever, beholden to the whims of its volatile superstars, one a free agent, the other a disgruntled employee.

Bryant could choose a new team as soon as 9:01 p.m. Tuesday. O'Neal could be granted his wish of a trade before then.

Welcome to what's left of the Lakers.

By all accounts, Tomjanovich will be well compensated for entering this uniquely treacherous environment. He is expected to sign a contract this morning that will pay him about $30 million over five years -- the same deal given to Jackson five years ago, but less than the $8 million annual salary offered to Krzyzewski last week.

Sources close to the Lakers said trade talk surrounding O'Neal accelerated in the past few days and that the team was eager to strike a deal this weekend -- before Bryant makes his decision.

Multiple league sources confirmed discussions of a deal that would send O'Neal to the Miami Heat in exchange for Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and a third player, probably Malik Allen (Miami's choice) or Caron Butler (the Lakers' preference).

Although O'Neal cannot outright dictate where he will land, sources say he has not yet abandoned hope of playing in Dallas. That won't happen unless the Mavericks agree to deal multitalented Dirk Nowitzki, or unless the Lakers give up on obtaining him.

Eagerly watching every move, and signing off on most of them, is Bryant. He has completed his well-publicized series of meetings with team executives in Newport Beach and is now mulling his options, which are growing thin.

The San Antonio Spurs withdrew from the sweepstakes in order to re-sign Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen, following the Phoenix Suns, who preferred to sign Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson. That leaves the Denver Nuggets, who are believed to be closing in on Kenyon Martin instead.

So it is down to the Lakers and Clippers, as knowledgeable NBA sources had insisted all along.

The NBA's signing period officially opens July 14 at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time, which means West Coast teams can do business Tuesday after 9 p.m. It is conceivable Bryant will make his intentions known by then, or by the end of the month at the latest.

The Clippers must decide whether to match Phoenix's offer to Richardson within 15 days of him signing an offer sheet, and sources say they will make that decision based on whether Bryant is coming. Clippers officials were quietly encouraged after meeting with Bryant and his agent this week.

His own contract not yet signed, Tomjanovich was already reaching out to the Lakers' critical core players Friday. He placed calls to Bryant, O'Neal and free agent Derek Fisher, though it wasn't immediately known if he had reached any of them. He planned to call other players, presumably including Gary Payton and free agent Karl Malone, today.

Nothing will change O'Neal's fate, however. Lakers officials are as determined to trade him now as they were three weeks ago, when O'Neal first made his demand. While O'Neal likes Tomjanovich, he has made it clear he wants no part of the organization anymore.

Placating Bryant has proven difficult. The team let go of Jackson and pursued Krzyzewski at Bryant's behest, but the failure to land his preferred coach was viewed internally as a setback. Tomjanovich could not have been hired without Bryant's implicit consent, but the move doesn't guarantee his return, either. The same sources who have long predicted Bryant's departure continue to believe he will ultimately become a Clipper.

Rather than make run with a reconstituted Fab Four of O'Neal, Bryant, Payton and Malone, Tomjanovich could make his October debut with Grant, Odom, Devean George and Kareem Rush.

The team has scheduled a physical exam for Tomjanovich next week, but officials have already received glowing reports from his Houston-based doctors, including Dr. Richard Goldfarb, who treated the coach for bladder cancer.

Tomjanovich was diagnosed with the disease 16 months ago and was forced to step aside as coach of the Rockets after 12 seasons. He has been cancer-free since October, however, and described by those around him as energetic and eager to work again.

He spent the past season as a personnel consultant, continuing a 34-year association with the Rockets. Drafted by the San Diego Rockets in 1970, Tomjanovich moved with the team to Houston a year later and played for the next 10 seasons, then served as a scout and an assistant before becoming coach in 1992. He led the Rockets, anchored by Hakeem Olajuwon, to championships in 1994 and 1995 and has a career record of 503-397.

Sources say Tomjanovich will carry four assistant coaches. The staff is expected to include Larry Smith, his top assistant in Houston, and former Rockets assistant Mike Wells. Frank Hamblen, who helped draft Tomjanovich in 1970 and spent the past five seasons here under Jackson, also is expected to join the staff.

"I think that Rudy will find a lot of people eager to support him, and he should expect to be very successful," said Jeanie Buss, the Lakers' vice president of business operations.

Owner Jerry Buss is vacationing in Italy, monitoring the most tumultuous offseason in Lakers history from a safe distance. But Jeanie Buss, who spoke with him earlier Friday, said he was pleased with Tomjanovich's arrival.

"I know that was who he really wanted," she said. "So I think he's very happy."

Howard Beck, (818)713-3613 howard.beck@dailynews.com

#97 Sherlock, Jul 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  18. ghost2003

ghost2003 Member

What the heck are you talking about!?! They'll meet at least 6 times!!!
    Think positive, man!!!

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Was the press conference on ESPN news only?

20. ActionJackson

ActionJackson Member

The confrence is on live right now on Fox Sports West.. Rudy T is all class.