1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Offered! (UPDATE: Rudy to coach Lakers - News Conference July 10, 3pm Central)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Love it. Doubt it.

2. boiler

boiler Member

3. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

If I were Rudy, I wouldn't do that after the way they disrespected me! Of course, I'm not Rudy. ;)

Rudy loves coaching and he's unlikely to get a higher profile offer than this any time soon. Who knows, he might even be able to convince Kobe and Shaq to stay and get along -- he's that well respected. (And yes, I read what Shaq said in the article.) If so, the Lakers will be a contender again.

If not, well, Rudy must really have enjoyed the rebuilding process in Houston......

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

In any job search, it's natural for a company to have a 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice, etc. If the 1st choice doesn't accept an offer, the company gives it to the 2nd choice. Rudy was the 2nd choice. How is this disrespectful? Unless the Lakers told him that he was their guy, definitively, and then went behind his back with Coach K, I don't see this as any kind of dirty pool. This kind of thing happens all the time with NBA head coaches. (Remember last year's coaching carousel? Almost EVERY coach hired was a 2nd choice, including Van Gundy, after Larry Brown went to Detroit).

I'm no Lakers fan, but I don't see this as a dis.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Man, wouldn't that suck? Assuming both Kobe and Shaq walk, even if Malone comes back the roster would look somethig like this:

Starters:
    Slava Medvedenko
    Karl Malone
    Devean George
    Kareem Rush
    Gary Payton

Bench:
    Luke Walton
    Brian Cook
    Rick Fox
    Horace Grant
    Bryon Russell
    Sasha Vujacic

Yeesh. That's a .500 team if I ever saw one.

7. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

B/C for the most part he comes across as two faced prick. Personally, I think he is a great defensive coach. He seems to be a good teacher but I don't like the way he has two personalities. During the NBA season he is a dick who bashes, criticises & blames his players and acts dry with no carisma. Once the season is over, he comes on the radio and acts all smooth and praises his players and jokes around and seems like the coolest guy in the world. He needs to lighten up and be one person. I guess he is like that to motivate his players but I think he is way too negative during the season. Peace.

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Even if the Lakers lose both Kobe and Shaq they wont be down for long. They'll rebound because they're the lakers. This is a dream job for a coach. I'd take it now w/o hesitation.

9. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

The reason it seems like a diss is because Rudy is more qualified to be a NBA coach, 2 rings and a gold medal, where K has never coached a NBA game. and then they were gonna offer K a lot of money on top of that. If anything rudy needs to demand the same money or more

10. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Maybe, maybe not. If you polled the league's GMs, I'm sure you'd get a lot of votes on both sides. As for me, I'd want Rudy coaching my team. But the fact that the Lakers had someone else as their first choice doesn't strike me as a slap in the face.

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

re: CD ... bad eyes not heart. if I recall correctly, Les had them both in a meeting and informed them the next coach of the Rockets was between them(CD & RT). CD declined(eyes) ... the rest is history.

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I am curious to see how much he gets offered? K was worth 8mill a year, Phil got 4-5 mill, what would Rudy get?

13. artificial

artificial Member

It's sad to see Rudy ending up in an evil empire.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

When I went home for lunch, ESPNews was saying they are seriously talking contract details and to expect an announcement by Thursday.

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well I don't know about this... I know they offered him the job but I really don't know if he'll really take it. I saw still in houston on Monday walking and playing with his dog. I had a nice little talk with him when I went back to houston for the vacation. I hope to get Rudy back coaching us after a year of Van Gundy. I see Gundy going to L.A and building around guards such as kobe and payton.

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Oh I have to say he's a real nice guy... we didn't talk about this but he just built his house in Houston and it's gorgeous. I hope he stays retired for another year. Get these guys a defensive mentality and we can throw in Rudy to head coach again to manage that offence.

17. cpan

cpan Member

Is Rudy still under contract? If yes, maybe we can ask laker take one of our bad contract.

18. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I can't remember very many successful examples of succeeding a legandary coach. Although Rudy is legendary himself, but his legacy is right here with the Rockets. Going into that mess in LA has failure written all over it.

I wish Rudy could coach some other perreniel dormant teams such as the Bulls, Warriors or Raptors, and turn them around like what Hubbie did to the Grizzlies.

LA's job is the most glamourous of all, but facing the possibility of having to be told what to do by Kobe the Punk? Rudy deserves better than that!

19. Agent86

Agent86 Contributing Member

the fact that he has not taken the job yet is a good sign he might not take it at all

20. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

I can hear it now, on the LA boards:

"With Rudy in place, we now have a legitimate shot at landing Yao in 2 years."