1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

rudy is the man. I love rudy. the rest of you can go jump off a bridge.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chievous minniefield, Dec 28, 2002.

Tags:
  1. SLA

SLA Member

Right...it's his fault...

I was just wondering... How did you get the name Chievious Minniefield?

2. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Yes, as a matter of fact it is Rudy's fault. If they don't follow his game plan, then pull their sorry asses. Isn't he the coach? Should the players listen to him?

If he doesn't have control of the players, then that's a whole new problem all together. And that, would be a bigger problem then the lack of plays and little things that keep going wrong each night.

3. Kiki

Kiki Member

My guess: A combination of 2 very forgettable Rockets,
    Frank Minniefield (sp?)
    Derrick Chievious (sp?)

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Frank Minnifield was a CB for the old Cleveland Browns in the mid 80s wasnt he?

Actually, it was Dirk Minnifield. I remember the Rockets signed him after the suspensions to Lucas, Lloyd and Wiggins wiped out our backcourt in 86 and 87. Dirk wore #10 I believe. :D

5. Kiki

Kiki Member

Hello, Lucky. Meet the NBA. NBA, meet Lucky.
    This is a common problem on ALL teams. Sure, they'll follow the gameplan most of the time, but you just can't expect today's 'American' players to do what you ask all the time. Yao, on the other hand, is a different story. That guy is all about the team, and following the coach's orders. He'd play on his head if Rudy told him to... ;)

Our guys are young. As they mature, they'll start to understand that Rudy knows what he's talking about, and maybe the offense will start to look like something coherent. To me, they seem to have improved 2 fold already from the beginning of the year. And the sky's the limit if we can keep this nucleus....and Rudy.

6. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

if the season ended today, the Rockets would be in the playoffs.

as for my name, it's the name my 2 Dads [Dirk Minniefield and Derrick Chievous] gave me when they donated their seed to Hanna Storm, and I was bred as a genetically-enhanced SuperFan of the 80s Rockets.

when I was 13, I honestly believed with all my heart that Dirk Minniefield was the missing piece who would put Akeem and the Rockets over the top.

7. Kiki

Kiki Member

whoops...see what I mean...forgettable! :)

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is a very very weak argument, imo. Are players listening less and less to coaches these days...sure. But that didn;t stop Jerry West from hiring Hubie Brown (an old fart who those youngins wouldn't ever listen to really..cmon), who has subsequently slowly got a bunch of young American (and foreign) players into shape.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

pg,

You were claiming that not being able to even put up a shot after timeout at crunch time was the Rockets' "trademark" and that it was Rudy's fault. I was just reminding you if it were the Rockets trademark, how come they could make two game tying shots in less than a week. Why they needed a game tying shot was irrelevant to the point we were talking about.

At the end of the Clippers game in LA, Francis did put up a shot in time. It just didn't go in. So again it doesn't fit your claim that the Rockets are always unable even to get a shot off after a crunch time timeout. If a team could make half of those last second shots, they would be considered incredible. The coach's job is to call a play he thinks will maximize the probability, and then hope that his players can execute it and the shot will fall.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've been on Rudy's case for a while, but Rudy is one of the few active coaches who have won a championship and for that, he will get instant respect by his players. Some of you guys want him out, but who will be there to replace him?? The guys with the credentials are locked in big contracts on other teams.

Phil deserves credit for integrating Kobe with the rest of the Lakers and setting Shaq as the Man on the team. Phil also singled out Horry as the X-factor like he did with Horace Grant. Kobe didn't want to play second fiddle. But it was because of Phil's reputation (the 6 rings and coaching MJ) that the two stars wanted to listen. Having the team's attention is very important for a coach. It is also why Harris and Rambis failed were Phil did not.

Phil used to be animated like all the other coaches out there, but it wasn't until Dennis Rodman that he acts the way he is now. He said that whenever he became angry over Rodman's antics, Rodman would feed from that energy. So Phil decided to act calm so Rodman would stay in control.

Winning 4 titles in a row is uncharted territory. Even the Bulls repeating the year after was quesitonable. They were pushed to a game 7 in the Conference finals the year before and with Scottie's back, Rodman not returning, and MJ's bad knees, it might have been forsight for where the Lakers are now.

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

interesting take, IF.

I hate phil jackson, but yours is the most persuasive reasoning I've heard for considering him a good coach and not just a scoundrel carpetbagger.

but I still love Rudy, and he's still the man.

fewer people are calling him an idiot today. he must have eaten his brainfood since friday.

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I love that you posted that statment.

Heh heh...."thought police."

I like that. Things that make you say, "Hmmm..."

13. Kiki

Kiki Member

JayZ, I understand your point about a new coach changing the attitude/work ethic of a team. But I think you are missunderstanding my point. What I was trying to say was that Rudy is doing a good job given the level of attentiveness on the team (probably similar to the new level of attentiveness on the Griz). Sure the Griz have improved, but from worst to below average. The Rox are average, and are trying to improve to above average. A much tougher leap to make than the former. If our young players can just try to follow Rudy's lead a little more each game, I see great things for the 2nd half of the year. Just call me an optimist, I guess....:)

14. nineteen

nineteen Member

Dr.,

Didn't know that you replied. Sorry for the delay. I've never insulted a poster for their views. I respect their opinion. "Blasting" you, that is extreme. Do not let the clever asides rile you. I even complimented you by saying that you MAY have more basketball knowledge than me. I'm logical, not emotional! I've never whined in my life! I've had a unique view of NBA ball all of my life. Your definition of good coaching differs from mine. So be it. Calvin Murphy. He has the Players respect, high basketball IQ and the Rox will play hard. Rox players don't respect Rudy. That is why they do their own thing. A team won't make the Playoff if the General is lost.

15. SLA

SLA Member

Calvin Murphy can't be a coach! Byron Scott did good, though. Byron Scott used to play for Larry Brown? And now they are rivals?!? Wow! That's neat...

I like the title of this topic. It's very long. It's funny.

16. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

I second that!

17. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

"And the worms ate into his brain..."