1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gay's about to show the world he's on Durant's level

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

........So now Gay is now superior because he CAN'T carry a team by himself? Jesus, you're acting like Durant is AI or something and he'll freak out if he isn't the main guy. It's clear that he's not like that at all, or Westbrook would be a corpse about three weeks ago, and one of the complaints about Durant is that he can't iso.

I mean, it's funny to me that Miami is a "team" when everyone knows that they're basically three superstars and a bunch of scrubs, while OKC isn't for some reason.

2. delishman

delishman Member

Yikes...

Purely for aesthetics, you need to come up with a better title than "hero ball".

Moving past that iso plays are what win championships, if the player is good enough. Team ball is swell and nice and is important in producing regular season wins but if you want championships.. there is a reason the Kobe and Jordans of the world have so many rings.

Rudy Gay is a nice Joe Johnson type.

3. what

what Member

At least I can tell you understand what I am saying. okc, I admit, has a dispersal of players,(harden, westbrook and durant.) A little more team focus than the bulls are.

ironically, the most team oriented team won it last year: dallas. [Referring to your point about miami not being a team.]

my point about gay is not that he is better than durrant (that's stupid), but that he has durant abilities that aren't always shown because the grizzlies (hollins) focus and game plan is to dump the ball inside so much. HOWEVER, at the end of games, more times than not last year, it was Rudy who got the final play call.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

"Hero" ball? Do you even watch OKC much? Iso iso iso? KD isn't like Wade, LeBron and Kobe. He doesn't dominate the ball nearly as much. KD gets a lot of points off screens and cutting to the basket. It's rare to see a player score that much without being a huge ballhog.

But your mind is already made up that Rudy plays a superior style (or whatever). Let's see what happens.

If you haven't seen KD or Rose grab a key rebound late in games, it's because you don't watch often enough. It's wild you would say that.

You should have seen KD frustrate David West last year in one of the games against the Hornets. He even blocked him one time.

5. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Spoilered for language.
    [​IMG]

6. Trackball

Trackball Member

We drafted this man.

Hindsight's a b****, ain't it?

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not really--he's not that special.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is Rudy Gay the Black Vince Young?

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rudy Gay is pretty bad

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

please change moniker to lolwhat

EDIT: sorry, lolwut

11. Nook

Nook Member

repped

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ironically, Dallas had a guy playing what you called hero ball. You thing Gay is on Dirk's level too?

13. what

what Member

I get your point about KD isn't a ball hog, and I am not trying to paint him as one. My only point about that is to try to explain why Rudy doesn't average as many points as KD is because the system they are in requires each player to do things differently.

Of course you want KD to put up shots. The guy is unarguable.

Shifting focus to a more philosophical discussion. I think in general that the average superstar or at least what the qualifications of a superstar has shifted a bit. Most of the superstars todat play on one end of the court. They are like Charles Barkley, was. MJ, however, took over on both sides of the court.

That is my main grip with what they do with Rose in Chicago. They fool you into thinking he is MJ incarnate, cause he iso's and makes shots at the end of the game.

To be a superstar in my book you play both sides of the court.

Now back to coach Hollins. One thing about him is that to be on the court you HAVE to play defense. That is his main gripe. There was a recent story that came out that said hollins keeps a picture on his ipad of grevis leaving Harden open for a 3, in that triple overtime game. The dude still hasn't forgotten that ONE play.

Is it a surprise that greivis got shipped off? If you take that through, you can see that Rudy has improved his defensive focus year after year. This is the way the grizzlies play basketball. The old school way.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I posted a comment in the Grevis trade thread about Hollins not forgiving him. Hollins mentioned the play in an interview the same day the trade was made.

Rose's defense has improved tremendously since Thibs took over and it will continue to do so. But until the Bulls lighten his load on offense, he can't give 100% effort every time on defense. Last night, Rose played 44 hard minutes and it was the first of a 4 games in 5 days stretch. The Bulls have to figure a way to generate points without Rose always having to create for himself or someone else.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You mildly underrate Granger. He had a 25.8 ppg outburst in his allstar season.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, how is this working out for you?

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

puff puff pass granny

18. gah

gah Member

what, are you as defensive as a lot of clutchfans who don't want to give up the lotto-protected pick this year? If so, Rudy Gay has been helping you keep it, and since we won't be the beneficiaries anyway, we too will make our best.

19. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Rudy Gay is not on a Durant level, but the guy is a PLAYER.

I don't understand all the bashing on this guy. He could be a legitimate #2 on a championship team.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

The bashing probably has to do with quotes like this from the OP while averaging 16.3 on 16.8 shots for the season. "Rudy can do everything durant can but unlike durant he was not the main focus of the team. People gonna find out. Or like the hero ball d.rose plays all the time."