1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rudy Gay with the gamewinner!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by G-Money, Nov 20, 2010.

Tags:
  1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

great great shot. only great offensive players can get that shot off, and it was against an all-nba defender too

2. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Absolutely...it was the worst trade in Rockets' history.

The amount of hate that Rudy Gay has received from delusional members of this board in their weak attempts to justify the move just shows how much they were brainwashed by the organization's propaganda. People will still come up with excuses and lame justifications to say that it was the "right" thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised if some people still believe that Battier is a better player than Gay too, lol. It's probably the same people that thought and some who still think that the Rockets are going to challenge the Lakers in the WCF this year and those who believe that Lee is better than Ariza. Gay has always been the better player, and it's not even close.

A clutch player who is young, tall, and athletic and who's also averaging 22 ppg on practically 50% shooting, 7 rpg, 3 asp, 1 1/2 spg, and close to 1 bpg? Hmmm...I was thinking we could just trade him for a role player. It doesn't matter that role players are easily available through free agency and minor transactions.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

shane battier for rudy gay will go down as one of the worst trades in basketball history

and rudy isn't even in his prime

1 person likes this.
  4. Shaud

Shaud Member

He broke his nose. He had a mask but he couldn't get it on when he checked in so he threw it lol.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The trade looks bad now because Shane has slowed down.

What's more impressive is the play before it, and how he came back from the mistake to hit the winner.

6. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Gay is to us what Scola is to the Spurs. I still like having Battier and can't say for sure what Rudy Gay would have turned out like if we had him, but it still kinda stings.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I was so happy when Gay dropped down to us, then instantly got the news that we were acquiring Battier for him.
    :mad:

8. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

That's exactly right.

Spurs have been looking for a Power Forward to play with Duncan for years now and it turns out their best option would have been Scola.

The Rockets are looking for somebody who can close out a game, and they had him too. Gay wants to take that last shot.

9. yobod

yobod Member

[​IMG]

Does this picture in conjunction with Rudy Gay, make it worse? :)

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm more disappointed we didn't keep Batum, instead of Gay.

11. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I see you and raise again:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lv4l0KInMNM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lv4l0KInMNM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:grin:

Plus, I saw that game winner against the Lakers in person and was able to rub it in folks' faces for a night so I will always pick that highlight over any Rudy Gay highlight.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Players hit game winners all the time. Steve Novak and Padgett all hit game winners against tough opponents.

Wait until next summer when Marc Gasol's rookie contract is about to be expired and the Grizz realize they don't have any money left because they paid Gay the max.

13. Htown's2kFinest

Worst trade Rockets probably ever made. Rudy Gay will be a superstar for years to come while Battier may be out the league in the next couple of years.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I know i can't believe the trade.

Because we suck, but the Grizzlies 5-9 record is so much better, what a winner he is.

Garbage in, garbage out. In the long run that is all that trade was.

At least Battier's bad contract is about to end. The Grizzlies are stuck overpaying Rudy Gay for years. He is certainly a better player than Battier, but any team with him as a featured player isn't gonna contend.

I wouldn't want Gay if they offered him straight up for Battier. Gay isn't a difference maker, and he's paid like he is one.

15. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

do you really think Marc would stay? he'd play elsewhere for slightly less money.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Rudy Gay, Nic Batum. :(

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

The trade was done 5 years ago, of course now it looks like a bad trade when you consider Gay has been improving each game and Battier has lost a step. And your selective memory is definitely in full effect if you think as a rookie Rudy Gay was better than Battier.

I guess it also doesn't matter that Memphis is paying him the max for his services. Gay is producing at an A.I./Danny Granger level, he doesn't deserve 16M a year.

18. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

As long as you are willing to pay luxury tax, you can always sign your rookie.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well then there goes Memphis' team, then. I just find it funny how people keep lamenting about missing out on Rudy Gay but none of them ever address the whole "being paid the max" issue.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

So the Grizzlies would be paying the luxury tax for a team that has a combined 5-9 record? Let's not forget OJ Mayo and Zach Randolph would want to be paid as well besides Marc Gasol.