1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gay on the trading block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Jun 4, 2012.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Charlotte loses in that deal badly (because it's top 5 protected), because the Cavs are continually improving. That pick will be in the lower top 10 or draft pick in the teens. That pick will not nearly as good as Rudy Gay.

Portland could strike a better deal than Cleveland...I've seen this suggested. Wesley Matthews (or Nicolas Batum), #6 pick, and possibly another pick for player for #2 pick.

Charlotte still gets a fairly high draft pick in a deep draft, or they can trade down for more players and picks. Keep the pick and draft Barnes, Drummond, Sullinger, or Robinson (if he falls) or they can pick up trading partner with a more competitive team, like Milwaukee, Houston, Phoenix, or Dallas. Get another decent player and a lower pick.

True about Gay and his contract is massive, but he would make them a more appealing and even slightly more competitive team.

Most of all, Charlotte needs a ROSTER overhaul, since their future is apparently bleak (tickets for 2013-14 season are already being giving away to fans who purchase season tickets for 2012-13 season).

2. arjun

arjun Member

This trade will happen..book it.

Memphis trades:
    Rudy Gay

Golden State trade:
    Klay Thompson, Dorrell Wright, Andres Beidrins, 7th pick.

Bogut
    Lee
    Gay
    ?
    Curry

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I thought he was on Durant's level?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Grizzlies owner says there are no plans to trade Rudy Gay

5. what

what Member

The grizzlies AREN'T trading Rudy Gay.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/jun/08/grizzlies-owner-michael-heisley-says-there-are-no/

6. Asian Sensation

That's way too much for Gay. I especially don't see the Warriors trading Klay Thompson. I think popular belief is they shipped off Ellis because of Curry but I think it's because of what they saw in Thompson. Dude's a baller and a long term answer for the 2 position. The Curry/Thompson backcourt stays in tact.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

There are no plans to trade Rudy Gay!

Really, this is about what you expect a team to say. It's basically the same thing the Rockets about Lowry. You never admit to shopping a guy.

#127 Carl Herrera, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I actually really hope Heisley won't trade Gay. Because it will likely result in more funny stuff in Memphis like trying to nickel and dime 1st round picks and trying to squeeze a bunch of minimum guys around its core.

If anything, I'm more afraid of the team if they do manage to gain more cap flexbility by trading Gay away. Gasol/Randolph/Gay/Conley+scrubs doesn't really scare me if the Rockets manage to matter in the near future.

9. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Gay for Durant straight up. They are on the same level.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Lost me on that one partner.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His word actually says it's possible that they trade Rudy Gay.

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I really don't see what the fascination around Gay is all about. He is only an above average NBA SF. PER 17.34 last year. Above average that is it.

You could probably pick him up easily for Parsons and the 16th. But that would solve that huge Memphis salary cap problem and give them room to breath. We would not want to do that would we?

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's no plans to trade him because they aren't going to find much of a market for his $53 million at his current...level.

15. what

what Member

And yet multiple teams have called about him offering picks and players to trade for him.

Does. Not. Compute. Rudy Gay is a VOLUME SCORER. He is Ricky Davis.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who & what? PS, kwame has reminded us already that Cleveland was willign to part with NBA legend Tristan Thompson for him. Anything else?

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I personally do not put any stock in rumors. For the most part they are due to the FO trying to manipulate perceptions and market value.