1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gay on the trading block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Jun 4, 2012.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think time-machine Keith Van Horn would be an equitable switch. [​IMG]

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

so I heard Durant is half the player Gay is?

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Dream,ewing,robinson,shaq all great centers could generate shots over player . Gasol,nene,bynum,gasol,and yao can't. There is a reason why those 1st set of centers avg 17 shots per game vs 12 or so for the 2nd set. I'm going to let it ride in this thread because every rudy gay thread turns to ish.

Hoops worlds sources,lmao. I guarantee anyone on this board that if they trade rudy gay which isn't even a rumor, they will get a player and a top 8 pick. Jut like people are talking about who will take a contract, loul deng makes the same money and so do iggy. The Bulls might do a straight swap because they need another guy who can create a shot. If nj keeps williams, they could do wallace and morrow for gay and stillhave enough to get howard in the summer. They will get what they want or need if they trade gay, but right now, I haven't heard anything credible about a trade.

4. leebigez

Where have you read they want to cut salary? That's clutchfans speculation. They could keep this team together 2 more yrs before they're facing the lux tax. Say what you will, but heisley has paid his players. Whether it was max for gasol, 9m for conley,near max for his starting frontline.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Deng and Iggy both make significantly less.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/sixers.jsp

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Cleveland offered the #4 for overall pick in the draft for him last year. Too bad the Rockets don't have a single "asset" that could get the team a top 4 pick.

7. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Yeah, I agree. I think they’ll get a mid lotto pick from a team like GSW or Toronto, a useful rotation player, and some cap relief.

8. Carl Herrera

So, Cleveland has the 4th pick again, assuming they did make such an offer as rumored, you think they offer 4th for Gay this year?

9. SamFisher

Protip: When the best thing that you can say about a player is that the Cavaliers preferred him to Tristan Thompson - you aren't really doing yourself any favors.

I'm sure Tristan Thompson could be had! [​IMG]

10. what

what Member

Man, yall BLOW UP every Rudy Gay thread. I don't understand the fascination. Please somebody help me out.

11. SamFisher

Because he's the prototypical all-stats no-star (and his stats arent' even that good) who combines high levels of traditional athletic/potential talent, with a hugemongous contract, but so-so prodution and a high opportunity cost as a result.

He's Billy Beane, the High school all american "Natural" baseball player with all the tools upon pure visual inspection/traditional scouting, vs. Billy Beane, the GM who championed that the former mode of analysis was worthless.

An obvious subject of endless debate and discussion - you could say we are interested in his...level.

12. leebigez

This is why we can never have an accurate conversation about rudy gay. I thought I had my numbers wrong but I didn't. You said significantly less than rudy gay and that's false.

Iggy made 13.5 this yr,14 + next,and 15+ the next
    Rudy made 15+ this yr,16+ next,and 17+ the next.

Point being, memphis could trade gay for iggy straight up without any throw ins. Memphis could trade rudy for deng straight without any throw ins unless the new cba has language I missed. They could trade rudy for g wallace and morrow if they wanted to. 3 yrs left and 54m is a lot of money, but he's a consistent 20ppg 6 reb 45% scorer who is 25 and hsnt been injured often. He's overpayed, but its not like you're not getting returns. They barely made the playoffs 2 yrs ago when he went down, this yr zach and his backup goes down and they're a 4 seed.tell me how they're better when they basicaly outplayed the clipers?

13. what

what Member

For what it is worth I want the grizzlies to get Thomas Robinson at any cost on this team. I'd do a deal to make that happen with washington for Gay for Singleton and the 3rd pick in the draft and a bad contract blatche. But only if Robinson is there with the 3rd pick in draft.

14. SamFisher

Please....you told me that he was a 14 million dollar player. I said he was a 17.5 million dollar player. Divide his remaining 53.5 by 3 and tell me who is closer to the truth.

15. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I disagree heavily with your characterization of Bynum and Yao as being unable to generate their own offense. If you look at the career trajectory of Yao, you see a steady increase in touches under Jeff Van Gundy, culminating in his finest statistical season at 26, when he got a comparable number of shots to the Hall of Famers you list. Then a coaching change to Rick Adelman, whereby the offense is changed to read and react, using Yao as a facilitator rather than a finisher away from the basket, and his shots subsequently decline. After that, injuries really took their toll, but saying that Yao couldn't create a shot is ludicrous.

Bynum this past year averaged 13.3 shots, but that was with Kobe hoisting up 23 per game, and Gasol needing his 14 as well. Considering he's only 24, if he follows a similar career progression to most big men and peaks around 27, he could easily get to 18+ per game as the primary option on offense.

Honestly, that LA situation reminds me a lot of the Yao/Franchise/Cat situation here; ideally the best, most efficient option gets the most shots, but instead lots of empty possessions are swallowed up by the guys tasked with getting the ball to the post...

As for Rudy Gay, if he's truly that expensive, why not just use those trade chips to go and get his younger, cheaper clone in Harrison Barnes? This is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like either guy; I just think they're not clear franchise cornerstones, and yet won't be very good #2s either since they can't affect the game without having the ball in their hands.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mZ7ZpLgkVxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The name Rudy comes with high expectations.

17. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

What do y'all do with z-Bo?

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

leebigez never passes up the chance to detract from Yao Ming in some shape or form. I don't believe he says such things sometimes. Most of all, in the point he was trying to prove. I disagree with him on most of the player who he said could not create their own offense ... Gasol, Nene, Bynum, and Yao. Those have been the better big men these days in creating their offense.

Now, if he would've said Noah, Chandler, Perkins, Camby, or Horford. I would've agreed.

The other players are offensive maestros, especially (Pau) Gasol, Yao Ming, and Andrew Bynum.

I do not know where he gets this stuff from...

19. Carl Herrera

You have your numbers wrong:

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Player</th><th>2012/2013</th><th>2013/2014</th><th>2014/2015</th><th>Total</th><th>Average</th></tr> <tr><td>Rudy Gay</td><td>$16,460,538 </td><td>$17,888,932 </td><td>$19,317,326 </td><td>$53,666,796 </td><td>$17,888,932 </td></tr> <tr><td>Andre Iguodala</td><td>$14,718,250 </td><td>$15,904,750 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$30,623,000 </td><td>$15,311,500 </td></tr> <tr><td>Luol Deng</td><td>$13,365,000 </td><td>$14,275,000 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$27,640,000 </td><td>$13,820,000 </td></tr></table>

Point being, Rudy Gay has $23 million more in guaranteed $ than Iguodala. Rudy Gay has $26 million more in guaranteed $ than Deng. In terms of average salary, Rudy Gay's salary is $2.5 million more per year than Iguodala's and $4 million/year more than Deng's.

Thus, Rudy Gay makes significantly more money than Iguodala and Gay.

The trades you propose would pass the salary check, but the question is whether they'd work in real life.

Gerald Wallace is a free agent. So the 3 sided deal is contingent on (1)Wallace actually wanting to play for Memphis, (2)Memphis and Wallace are able to reach a deal in terms of contract $, and (3) the Nets wanting Rudy Gay instead of cap space/free agent. As for Philly: what exactly does getting Rudy Gay do for them?

#99 Carl Herrera, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  20. what

what Member

Well that's the main problem with the deal. I don't think it is unheard of to keep 3 pf, but ideally I'd like to start Robinson.

The better deal for the grizzlies would be: zbo + 25 pick to washington for blatche + 3rd pick.

I personally feel that this would be a good deal for washington. First of all, washington has already a lot of young talent:

Seraphin, singleton, vesley, crawford and wall. If they add zbo then they can offset a lot of that young talent with two experienced front cout players: zbo and nene.

With that mix of players I could see them being a player in the east. The only problem with this deal is that zbo's contract is not ideal.

However, the prospect of trading a bad contract for a better player COULD entice washington.

I just love the idea of having: Gasol, Robinson front line with Tony and Conley in the back court and with funds to resign OJ.

This team with be a defensive beast with Robinson, since the main problem the grizzlies have is pnr defense.