1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gay on the trading block

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Jun 4, 2012.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So why did he want gasol @19m and nene @15?

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

RG'd be a little better on a team that would play him sometimes (but not always) at the 4 (when the matchup dictates).

A beggars-can't-be-choosers type team will go after him.

Actually, our team qualifies, but thank goodness we don't need him. We certainly don't need that salary.

Toronto might bite.

Charlotte, maybe.

Cleveland, if they're not careful with their money, maybe.

He isn't worth the current 1st rounders that Charlotte and Cleveland hold, and most teams will roll the dice on HBarnes or even PJonesIII before they take on such salary; but there's always a gambler out there thinking he's craftier than everyone else.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Because the team:

a) Has no size
    b) Needed a shot in the arm
    c) Sucks hard
    d) All of the above
    e) Hint, it's "d"

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Based on their efficiency, you could argue they'd put up star numbers, if they got more touches and the team was built around them. Can't say the same for Gay.

5. leebigez

So sources told Hoops World the grizz are expected to shop gay? Too funny. The article goes on to say sidelined the yr prior, they advanced, but this yr they lost. C'mon man. There are a lot of reasons to trade any non superstar, but that article is garbage. Plus its from hoopsworld.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Because Gasol is a top 4 big in this league. And in my opinion, I think the fix was in with Marc Gasol. If we had gotten Pau and signed Nene, I think Marc holds out in Memphis and demands a trade and they flip him to us for Nene in December.

7. leebigez

Let me say this again so all can understand. I've said this before with regards to yao ming. You can't relate shot atts to touches. Guards and forwards always get more touches than bigs. Guards and forwards get more shot atts than centers. Why? Because most of the guards and forwards create shots off the dribble. Pau or nene at their aboslute best have never att 16 shots a game. That doesn't mean they're only getting 10 touches,but most big guys like the ball in small spaces. Most guards/forwards can dribble or get passes in their spots.

Rudy in the playoffs avg 19ppg on 16 shots. It was his 1st playoffs,but he att more fts than he normally do. If he doesn't do better nxt post season or he and zach struggles together,then I would entertain breaking them up. Even on that, I always keep younger player over the older player if they're close. They were the 4th seed minus zach, last yr they were an 8th minus rudy. True enough you might will get more for rudy because of his age, I wouldn't make a move right now. Had they not lost zach and aurthur at the same time,they would've been better.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Marc Gasol and Nene are big men. Big men being big men get added value from:

1) Scarcity of good big men
    2) defensive capabilities of big men, which is hard to quantify

For people like Nene and Gasol, they aren't prolific shot blockers but they excel in space-eating defense and bothering shooters, which again is hard to quantify. On his own, 12 and 8 isn't worth the max, but if you add all the 2 factors listed above you can make a case for it.

Gay is a SF, which is the most common position in the NBA. He's also making the max, but is known for being passive at times and for lax defense. This draft alone holds a lot of players who could potentially be better than Gay, why pay the max now when you could get a better player on the cheap?

9. leebigez

19m for a declined basket case right? And you say the fix was in to get marc too right? I guess you missed the part about lakers gettin one of the 6 best players in the entire nba in cp3 right? What about the fact the could've gotten howard at the end of the season? Stay off the crack please.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Gay and westbrook should be on the all-boneheaded team.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why don't the Grizzlies want Rudy @ 17.5 is the question I'm interested in hearing your answer to.

1 person likes this.
  12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If you are Charlotte and maybe Cleveland, you might have to take that chance.

Barnes, even as an unproven NBA player seems like a better fit for the Grizzlies than Rudy Gay. I love his unselfishness and his game compliments Gasol/Randolph more so.

Rudy Gay is a good player, but he doesn't fit into certain offenses very well.

13. what

what Member

Gay, like every player on the grizzlies since the pau trade, has been the speculation of countless trade rumors. Gay was supposed to have been traded for Tayshaun Prince, because there was a "source" that said Heisley wasn't willing to pay Gay the salary he would command. How did that work out?

The same "source" had Gay being traded to Golden State for Monte Ellis.

Then there was that one source that said the grizzlies were pining for Paul Pierce.

What about that trade that the grizzlies were going to trade Gay for iggy. Surely that trade happened, right?

You know how to separate a good trade rumor from pure speculation when there are actual players involved on both sides.

Basically this source is saying all the teams that would show pity on the grizzlies and take Gay off our hands. Thanks source.

14. leebigez

A source to hoops world? Gtfo of here. Fact of the matter is he's not making 17m. He's making 15m. He has 3 yrs at which he will be 28. I wouldn't have gave rudy the money he got. I wouldn't have gave deng,ai,or pau max money either,but that's what the market was bearing at the time. A contract like rudy won't be a bad contract unless he gets hurt. Rashard lewis was terrible because of when he got the contract. He was almost if not 30 yrs old and a shooter.

15. Prince

Prince Member

Martin + Lowry.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

FYI, Rudy Gay gets a raise every year. He doesn't make the same amount in 2013, 2014, and 2015 what he made this past season.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lee,

Check out the actual info: http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/grizzlies.jsp

His salary for the next 3 years are: $16,460,538, $17,888,932 and $19,317,326, respectively.

18. clos4life

clos4life Member

Martin + something else other than Lowry. I'm not giving Memphis an awesome setup PG like Lowry so Zbo/Gasol can go off on us day in and day out.

19. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

Why would they be? Les thought Shane Battier was better on Draft Night.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because they are better than Rudy Gay? And Nene being a free agent means you don't have to trade talent/picks for him.