1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy Gay on the Trade Block. Houston Possible?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SRR21, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

This. Please.

No to Gay in Houston.

2. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Awful contract. But we could facilitate a 3 team block buster trade.

Houston-Memphis-Minn (Gay, Love)

or

Houston-Sac-Memphis (Cousins, Gay)

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Timing seems a little off. If they did this last year, they could've kept Mayo at half the cost, and get rid of Gay for expirings and at least one cheap player full of potential. Perhaps even an extra pick.

Now, they have to replace Gay's production in any trade, since he's one of their only decent perimeter guys. Tony Allen can't shoot a lick. Conley's not a dead-eye shooter. Their roster simply isn't built for the inside-out game. It's why they suck so bad on offense.

4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

No thank you.

5. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

If only you knew what PER really stands for...

6. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Could work if Parsons and Asik go stand in the carpark.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Agreeing with other posters that due to their cap space and aversion to overpaid players, Houston seems like less of a destination for Rudy Gay and more of a facilitator in a three-way deal. A Gay 3-way.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yup. If they had timed this better, they could have picked up some nice cap relief from Gay's horrendous contract, slid Mayo into the premiere perimeter-scorer's role that he's thriving in so well right now, and maybe could have had a nice draft pick or two in the process. Now, they are going to be looking at replacing Gay's scoring in whatever deal they make, which will make dealing with just one team fairly difficult.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Wow....

I bet Morey cannot wait to pay $55,000,000 to Rudy Gay over the next three years...

Especially for a guy getting 18 points on 17 shots a night!

That .41% fg is another strong selling point!

AMAZING!

Gay >>>>>>>> Durant

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I sense sarcasm in this post. :p

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No, do not want. I I'm content rolling with parsons.

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

14. rocketblood713

I dunno if they go after him but if they did I would think someone like Parsons would dealt with with some other players of course ..

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

can someone tell me at what facet of the game is rudy gay better than parsons? Only thing I see its PPG but thats costing you severely in efficiency. Not taking in consideration parsons is a top defender gay is the opposite of that...

if they made the same money id prefer parson...but 1 mil to 16 mil...this is stupid.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

17. conquistador#11

maury's floppy disk does not compute. error error//0001001110011

(that would be a horrible trade. gross.)

18. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Read the article again. The idea is to assemble a trade package using other players other than Parsons, and then to have Gay and Parsons playing on the same team. You're not picking between those players. You're having Gay as a swingman (giggity), and then Parsons is still slotted as a 3/4, depending on the lineup.

To answer your question: Rudy Gay is a better athlete than Chandler Parsons. He's quicker and more explosive. It would be a challenge to try to extrapolate those added gifts into a statistical difference or even anything that would help the Rockets win if it somehow came down to a choice between the one player and the other (which again, it doesn't). Honestly I think "explosiveness" is a little overrated to begin with. Two points is two points.

Keep in mind you're also comparing a mature, seasoned player in Gay, who has hit his ceiling, to a second year player in Parsons who for all we know will end up as a little bit better than Gay to a LOT better. So it's a weird comparison anyway, since one player isn't even fully fleshed out as a talent yet.

But the idea is that the Rockets can't exactly clone Parsons and have him play two positions at the same time, so enter Rudy Gay. Enter him. (giggity)

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If they pay 2/3 his salary, it might work.