1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rudy: An Examination Of Coaching Decisions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacBeth, May 12, 2003.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

With all the rumours in the air about Rudy, and the possibility of a new coach being sought for the first time in quite a while around here, I thought a discussion about pro basketball coaching would be topical and interesting.

There are several ways to look at coaching, but the way I have chosen is to examine not the results of the decisions a coach makes, but the way he goes about making them, and separate the decisions into levels or types. This is based on the premise that results are not a clear indication of coaching ability, except when the responsibility is isolated, and only in the long run. For example, let's examine a coach's decision; Rudy decides to not play Eddie Griffin for a game. Ok, now what are the factors leading to that decision? Is Eddie hurting? Has the GM told Rudy that Mo T needs to be showcased pending a trade? Has Eddie been partying too much behind the scenes? There are dozens of potential reasons affecting each decision a coach makes to which the general public is not privy at the time.

And results...another blind alley of fallous thinking. If Mo T goes out that night and has a good night, does that make the decision a correct one? If he has a bad night, does that make it a poor decision? If he scores 20...would Eddie have scored 30? Or 5? Weighing the merits of a coaching decision are, while common, usually at best a last logical resort.

Okay, so other than long term 'success' rates of coaching decisions, I suggest that the best way to evaluate a coach are in his grasp of different decision processes, his tendancies with same, and the overall effect of those two factors on the team as a whole.

Organizational Level Decisions

These are decisions about what type of ship the coach/gm will run. Will it be tolerant of alternative personalities as long as the on court results are successfull, or does it prioritize 'character' players? Does it feel that players have to take an active part in selling the team to the public, or merely do their jobs on the court and in the press room? To what degree does the coaching staff interact with the GM? Are they a significant part of the decision making process re: trades, draft, etc., or do they merely take what they are given and try to win with it? What sort of assistants does the team employ, and what are their duties?Does the team commit to youth, or try to maintain a decent output when rebuilding?

Many of these questions are often generally attributed to the GM, but there is significant overlap, and in some cases the coach is at least as responsible for these types of decisions as the GM. The 'results' of these types of decisions are a little insubstantial, and are often seen more with regarding things like whether free agents want to come to a team, how many of the team's players get into off court trouble, what the relationship between the GM and coach is like, how often the organization has to rebuild and how it goes about it, and how often the team chooses to change coaches. Another telltale sign is whether the coach adapts the system to the players, or the players to the system.

While Rudy has a few weaknesses in this area, in my opinion ( specifically relating to his reluctance to give younger players enough time/touches considering external factors) I would say that this is an extreme strength, and we would be hard pressed to find a replacement who is more successfull when it comes to organizational decisions. We have tread a pretty narrow path between beeing permissive, and thus remaining a popular place to play, and strict, as we have had very few significant PR problems...a couple of drug related incidents is pretty low on the trouble chart. There has been fairly extreme long term cohesion between Rudy and CD, and this usually makes for a much better organization, although 'groupthink' can set in, and probably has with regards to decisions like getting Rice.

Players have been very happy, in general, to take part in PR operations, although Tim would know more about that, and Houston has become a top choice for potential free agents. The assistant coaching situation is a bit more vague...certainly there has been a lot of criticism aimed in this direction of late, and probably at least some of it is merited. All told, though, I would suggest that in this area Rudy ranks among the better coaches in the league, along with others like Jackson, Saunders, Sloane, the departed Wilkens, Brown, and Riley.

Team Level Decisions

These kinds of decisions are team wide, such as what type of offensive system to apply and how to get the players to apply it, what kinds of practices to run, how much time is devoted to film, how much to on-court drills, etc...what priority conditioning is imposed or left to the individual, what defensive sheme is run, whether the team adapts it's plan to opponents, or runs it's system and expects opponents to react...To what degree the team has flat, set rules, or differing or flexible rules depending on the status of the player in question.

In this area, I feel that Rudy has started to slip, or at least the personel is such that it is either exposing weaknesses previously covered up with talent/veteran leadership, or the players have tuned him out. For whatever reason, the Rockets have had offensive sets the past couple fo seasons often notable for their seemingly spontaneous and/or disorganized nature...and usually ineffective.'Selfish' play and stagnant half court sets has been the result of Rudy's iso system, whatever it's intent. Even if you decide that the players are the ones not executing, it is a coach's responsibility to see that his system is run...if it's not, it's merely a different type of coaching failure. Defensive cohesion improved last year, but that was moslt due to the simultaneous introduction of a consistent inside defensive deterrent and the revitilization of an old one. Stilll, credit is due in that area.

On the whole, Rudy falls well below the best in this area, with men like Rivers, Brown, Poppovich, Sloane, Jackson, Adleman, Nelson, and Carlisle suceeding where he has failed.

Player Level Decisions

This is the area that many usually think of when the term 'coaching' comes to mind...Decisions such as how to get the best out of a certain player, what position a player should play, what role a player should have, who should be the focus of the offense, whether Player A is best handled with kid gloves, or should he be bullied, whether The Kid has reached the time where he deserves the minutes over The Vet, etc. A strong factor here is getting players to commit to playing all out for you. A lot of the 'teaching' aspect of coaching goes into these types of decisions, and different coaches delegate different amounts of this responsibility to their assistants. Ultimately, though, the development, or lack thereof, of players is the coaches sole responsibility.

In this area, Rudy has a really mixed grade, mostly leaning to the negative. When forced to, Rudy has seemed to have some younger players, like Francis, Cat and Yao, initially exceed expectations...on the other hand, he has also seen many of those who initially showed such promise plateau, or even decline, at a time when players usually show improvement. I have often been puzzled by his decsions in this regard...his handling of Eddie Griffin has caused me a lot of brow furrowing, and I know that Clutch has been amazed at the Boki situation. Yao's first season, while ultimately a success, was at least as noteworthy for a series of seemingly counter productive decisions about his pt, touches, and role. On the other hand Cat started to play defense, and Cato played like a man in a contract year when he wasn't. I'm not sure that any coach could get Moochie to play as if he were a human being.

There was a time when this was an extreme strength of Rudy's...late draft picks, CBA pick ups and retread vets would blossom under his guiding hand...but it's been quite a while now. All told, I think that you have to chalk this up to a fail in Rudy's notebook. Certainly other coaches like Don Nelson, Adleman, Poppovich, Scott, Brown, Riley, Johnson, Cheeks, and Carlisle have surpassed him in this regard.

Game Level Decisions

These are immediate decisions, and somewhat harder to evaluate...What player to play in a certain game, what matchups to exploit, what ones to try and account for...What play to run coming out of a timeout...who to sit, and who to ride when hot...whether a certain player can handle 3 fouls in the 2nd quarter, or needs to be pulled...What play the other defense has yet to handle...what adjustments to make at halftime...Who should the ball go to with 6.3 seconds left in a 1 point game...whether to go for the 2 for a tie or 3 for a win...

These are the decisions most evident to fans, open to criticism, and to me hardest to actually pick apart. As mentioned earlier, may of these decisions are made with factors to which we are largely ignorant in mind...and again, just because a move doesn't work doesn't mean it was the wrong move, and vice versa. That said, I feel that, long term, Rudy has failed to show any significant positive in game adjustments in the last couple of years. Often players would get hot only to be then ignored...other players seemed to have free reignt to shoot an endless amount of iceballs...Disciplinary adjustments seemed non-existant, except seemingly inexplicably severe adjustments to a few youngsters...Pre-game decisions, ie matchups and sets are not evident either, although that is usually more of a result of a filing in the previous decision group.

Coaches who excell in this area are lead by Larry Brown, Nelson, Collins, Saunders, O'Brien, and Riley.

Ok...it would seem that this is a Rudy bashing thread, but that is hardly the case. The 1st level of decision making is an important one, and Rudy is as good as they come in that regard. I am not in favour of ousting Rudy short of a superior candidate...and this method of evaluating coaching decisions would be a handy way of comparing potential replacements. All things being even, the pro coach I would most like to have is Larry Brown. He is, I feel, the best at making superior decisions across the board. Others, like Saunders, Rivers, and Poppovich are also well rounded, and there are a couple of vets like Riley and Nelson who emphasize a particular area, but have the know-how to make that work. If I had superior individual talent which was underachieving due to ego conflict, the best ego wrangler in the business is Phil Jackson. But as thse guys are not available, to my knowledge, it would take someone better in a few areas to justify replacing Rudy, short of health deciding the matter for us. He remains a valuable commodity on the organizational level, and that kind of value ought not be thrown away lightly.

#1 MacBeth, May 12, 2003
    Last edited: May 12, 2003
  2. SLA

SLA Member

Well...very nice post..too much to read.

First...GAME TIME DECISIONS. Oh Rudy is horrible at that. But what can you expect? It is very difficult to watch a game from his seat....well actually he stands all the time......and it's difficult to analyze and make adjustments with his crappy, incompetent assistants. I think everything he does is set. He always tries to start the same lineup. Moochie ALWAYS starts the 2nd quarter.....even when we are down by 20. He lets a certain player get abused by one player. The only changes is when he sees Steve Francis is playing Dikembe Mutombo....then he will know to get the ball to Steve. But every game.......the matchup between Yao and the other center is a mismatch.....

Our players do not look very motivated.
    Eddie.......well KOOKOO....high.
    Moochie....partying all night....he does listen to coach...but he just plain sucks.
    Yao and Bostjan are young and talented.....and have potential......but are too nice..they don't speak their opinions. They just sit and listen and obey like good kids.
    Francis and Mobley.....well they get to play as long as they want.

And offensive system! UGH! Man....horrible. We don't have one. Mainly ISO one-on-one.....see who can score. Just pass it to Yao...or Mo....same exact thing every time....until they stop scoring....then Mobley does his little jab step and throws his arm at the guy and drives and lays it up with no foul call.

And I do not think Rudy has utilized all the players' strengths and weaknesses.............

I hope he changes all this once he is healthY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Rockets.

3. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

1) Lol...so are you saying you didn't read it all, or that you regret reading it all?

2) I don't think it's fair to say that he had no system...I think that would be to assume the absolute worst. I think what is clear is that what system he had either didn't work, or the players didn't run it.

4. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

MacBeth - nice post. I like the attempt at breaking up Rudy's skills.

So - going with your analysis, is Rudy's ideal position upon retirement (whether it's this summer or later) going to be in the front office as GM or VP of Basketball Operations?

Your comment about not getting much out of lesser known players recently - I totally agree. Instead of having CBA pickups who play substantial minutes, the Rockets have overpaid backups... but that's based on the signing decisions over the past couple of years.

And, of course, picking up guys from the developmental leagues in the US is no longer in vogue, right? Now you go abroad and hope to find the next Nowitzki / Stojakovic / etc...

I thought Hawkins would have been a good energy guy 8-9th man, not end of the bench guy.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think Rudy's biggest fault is stubborness. That stubborness is what leads to the lack of spontaneous moves during the game or adjustments. I've watched alot of games via league pass, and to me Rudy is the slowest to make game time adjustments. I mean , your team comes out kind of lethargic and instead of pushing the tempo by applying some pressure, he just sits back and wait,and waits. Before long , the team look up and is down by 20pts and have to battle back. That stubborness is also the reason why the Rockets offense is so pathetic. How come it takes other players on other teams days or weeks to get into the offense, but it takes the rockets new players at least a season or season and a half to learn to dump the ball in and stand around?

I'm with you MacBeth, Rudy has faults just like any other coach. The only coach who has mirrored his faults is the one who's team has won the title. Personally, Rudy is a good guy, but he's been a very avg coach since 98. I still can't see how that Rocket team took so many double digit losses with Pippen,Barkley and Hakeem on the same team. True, they had a rookie backcourt, but both those guys ,Dickerson and Cat , played pretty good. I know every coach has selfish attributes that they think will help the team win, but he has to be flexible enough to the betterment of the team. Why has Carisle resorted to using Prince so much lately? He poses matchup problem for the 76ers to which they couldn't counter. When McGrady was lighting up Corliss or Barry, he had to try something different , so he went to prince, the rookie. When the Rockets were going through those shooting slumps, what did Rudy do? He stuck with the same rotation that he had been useing. What was wrong with playing Morris or Nachbar? What was wrong with adding some wrinkles in which Ming could get some baskets closer to the hoop?

I'm not into really firing Rudy, but all options needs to be explored for this underacheiving team.

6. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

When has Houston become a top choice for potential free agents? In the past few years, besides Mo Taylor when was the last time the Rockets attracted a major free agent (either outright or through a a sign and trade)?

I guess you can say that the Barkley and Pippen acquisitions can be somewhat related to Houston's attractiveness as a free agent destination but that was at a time when Rudy was still a respectable coach in the league and had not yet gone r****ded.

I like your post but to save bandwidth and time, you could have said the whole thing in two words: "Rudy blows."

7. Sane

Sane Member

Free Agents:

Wink wink deals: Shandon Anderson, Mo Taylor
    Others: Scottie Pippen, Charles Barkley, Steve Francis
    Want(ed) to be here: Lamar Odom, Chris Webber, Rashard Lewis, James Posey, Nick Van Exel, Robert Horry, SAR, Damon Stoudamire (back in the day), Cuttino Mobley (less money), Team Yao, Elton Brand.......

Players love Houston, and players LOVE Rudy T. It's one of the BEST offseason training spots in the league and the organization has 2 championships. Aside from this, we have the best young C in the league, and we also have one of the best young PG's in the league, we rarely have losing seasons, and now have LOTS of media focused on us thanks to Yao Ming.

We have 2 All Stars and have a good shot of hosting the All Star Weekend in 2 seasons. A brand new STATE OF THE ART Arena doesn't hurt the cause either.

So, yes, once we get into the playoffs and show everything off, we will be, without a doubt, one of the top choices for Free Agents.

8. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

A few thoughts:

Are we a top choice for free agents because we are willing to pay high dollar for guys who will ride the bench for the next seven years?

I also thought Hawkins had a lot of potential to be a good bench player but he got burried in the line up. He'll never be a starter but he brings a lot of energy to the floor, which is more than I can say for several of our guys.

Rudy is a loveable, great guy. He however his stubborn refusal to accept that the NBA has changed and his iso ball doesn't work anymore is holding the team back. We have the talent to be a lot better. Maybe a new bunch of assistants would help but I doubt Rudy would stand for it.

We need to see Yao and Steve shoot more, Mobley needs to learn how to pass and griffen.. well Griffen could stand to spend his summer at one of those Boot Camp's for wayward children.

9. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Alex English two decades ago..... :eek:

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Pretty much. If Mo Taylor and Shandon Anderson are considered top free agent acquisitions, then even as an evaluator of talent, Rudy's gone into the tank.

Back to MacBeth's other points, his post summed up why I'd like to see the Rockets move on and hire a different coach. Rudy's deficiencies are the kind that have been around his entire career and aren't going to magically disappear next season.

He'll still be terrible at making adjustments during games. He'll still insist on running an ISO offense, despite the presence of zones. He'll still do a pisspoor job of developing the younger players. And he still won't have the sack to discipline guys who ignore his instructions.

In the end, this team may increase its win total by a few games. But 45 wins and a possible 8th seed are not what I would consider a successful year in 2003-2004. That's what they should've done at the very least THIS SEASON! Next year, they should be shooting for 50 wins and the 6th seed. But with the recent 4-year playoff drought and expectations for the Rockets being about as low as I've ever seen, that first scenario will probably be enough to satisfy most people which is a shame.

11. moomoo

moomoo Member

Cliff notes, please.

or

Please post summary in space provided below.

Thank you.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Amazing how much shandon anderson seemed better in a motion offense, no?

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

MacBeth,

I think you should clarify that by "results" you mean basketball results as in win-loss, playoffs, championships, etc. Am I right? Otherwise, I don't see how you can evaluate those decision "processes" without looking at the (non-basketball) "results" of the decisions (actually, that's what you did in your post) because none of us knows HOW he comes to make those decisions.

14. Band Geek Mobster

Houston was a top choice for free agents mainly because they were a championship level team. Other reasons players liked coming to Houston involves the lack of a state income tax, the decent year round weather, and the player friendly coach.

Teams in nice weather locations that win are what attract top level free agents. Houston no longer wins, so they no longer attract the great players...

15. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

Yeah, Shandon is a good example of how much better our players could be in a different offense. We've had so many solid players come with lots of promise only to be wasted in our system and sent off to contribute in major ways on other teams.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Houton has nice weather? :confused: :D

17. SLA

SLA Member

Better than Canada!! USA!

I love Canada. But 6 feet of snow is not fun.

Anyways......some people might still want to come to Houston. Hmm.....NOBODY. :(

No one wants to come to Houston.

18. HakeemdaDream

HakeemdaDream Member

What was the question again?

19. Band Geek Mobster

Well in the months that an NBA player actually has to live in the city (October - May/June), our weather is pretty nice compared to most cities in the NBA. Our summers are horrible, but the players can retreat to their summer homes elsewhere to avoid Houston...

20. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

And yet they come to Houston for summer games, and there is a decent number of players who live here... right?

I don't think Houston is as bad as people make it out to be. Of course, I'm a native Houstonian, so I obviously have a bias.