1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White would have been our Draymond Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Both of them can dribble and pass, but Draymond is a DPOY candidate and can really shoot the ball. Royce is a negative in both of these areas and never showed the desire to work on these aspects of his game.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This team had a lot of fool's gold in the recent past, very flawed players but only one or two players that was a real fool, flawed brain if you will.

Royce Fraud #BeWell was one of them.

3. zito08

zito08 Member

Josh smith was our draymond green, 4 that dribbles down the floor and finds the open man, ppl dont realize how important he was here having a big man that creates for others was huge he was our other creator besides harden.

4. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I think the point is all those years Morey was drafting those tweener 4's, he was really looking for Draymond Green.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The other way: Can a moron have a mental illness? Absolutely.

It is possible to be BOTH. Its not a "one-or-other" thing. Royce was a moron and narcissist who happened to have a mental illness issue. He is not sympathy-worthy enough where his anxieties masks all his other flaws.

(Royce definitely had anxiety. He didnt fake that. He just didnt have any true basketball passion, or talent, or ethics, past that)

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I got to laugh and it is a sad fact.... I did not call Royce a moron, but he behaved as such the little time he was a RG Viper.

7. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

This X1000
    Josh Smith is the guy who stepped up throughout the playoffs when we needed a lift. In the Dallas Series, he started the unstoppable Dwight P&R, against LAC we all know what happened, and if it wasn't for a freak tumble into Dwight's knee, who knows what could have happened.

I was very disappointed we didn't resign him, but I did understand why we did what we did. Still, you need to reward guys who come through for you like Josh did, and that's still one of the bigger regrets from our offseason.

8. Lovemachine2000

F0ck this political correctness crap, Royce White is a moron and a lazy ******.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well, Royce White was also projected by CF's to be Dennis Rodman (or Kenyon Martin?).

So I guess the real question is which player would you rather have -
    Dennis Rodman
    Draymond Green
    Kenyon Martin?

Royce could have been anything we wanted.

10. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

in an alternate universe royce white is the reigning the 2015 finals mvp

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Right, so you have a problem with narcissism in sports? Draymond Green is not a narcissist? James Harden? Michael Jordan? Tiger Woods?

Come on. Narcisssism is a common trait in sports. We have no issues with it. It's just that coupled with the mental illness it became unbearable to you because there was nothing to show for it.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Didn't he take less than the Rockets offered to go to the Clippers? Am I misremembering that?

13. txtodd

txtodd Member

I think it's cool he scored as many regular season points in the NBA as the rest of us.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nah, Royce White could have been the next Magic, but he's you know ... Crazy.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Neither could Draymond Green when he entered the league.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

...if he didn't suck harder than a drunken cheerleader on prom night.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If a fear of flying was all it was, there would have been no problem. His problems were deeper and more extensive than that

It's hard to tell where his mental illness ends and his dumbassery begins. He handled his relationship with the Rockets, with RGV and everyone else in pro basketball poorly. I can't say how much of it is due to his anxiety, how much from character flaws. I'm not sure if there is really a difference anyway. He is the author of his failure in any case, by his illness or his choices or both.

Josh Smith took less. But, he would have stayed if we had made a more affirmative commitment in our offer to prioritize keeping him over Jones and/or Motie and paying something closer to what he thought he was worth. The the Clippers offer was a bit less is irrelevant. Our offer reflected the priority we put on him, which was low. The Clippers offered as much as they could.

18. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Winner Winner! I feel for those with anxiety. My best friend has dealt with severe anxiety and panic attacks. After treatment and hard work in therapy her life is a highly functioning life. Royce never figured out how to be well and even if he could have the dude couldn't shoot or play D. No he was never going to be our Green.

It might have been worth the gamble at the time but no doubt DM doesn't make that pick ever again.

19. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Royce White did not fail because of his fear of flying. He failed because he had a poor work ethic and felt he deserved minutes right away without earning them. He has failed with other teams too and it wasn't because of flying.......

20. battousai

battousai Member

Regardless of their talents, the mental aspect of it are worlds apart. And, I dont mean the phobia but the fact that in order to stay in NBA and went from nobody to somebody, that's very tough mentally. Green overcame a lot to be where he is at today. White barely got his feet warm at the door and already a quitter. Even without the flying phobia, white wouldnt survive more then 3 yrs in NBA.