1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White Traded To Philly

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Jul 5, 2013.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Looking for some clarification regarding the second rounder that we're owed from Philly.

It's protected for picks 31-55, correct?

Which means there's a VERY small chance that this pick actually gets conveyed to us, right? (Despite Philly's current spot at 53)

31-55 = theirs (and they owe us nothing in the future)
    56-60 = ours

Is this all correct?

2. try

try Member

Yes. It had to be included in the Royce White "trade" (which was in fact nothing but a salary dump) because both teams have to give up something in a trade to fit the rules.

3. try

try Member

One addition: I'm pretty sure "Despite Philly's current spot at 53" was a typo in your post, as Philly's current spot is of course 33, not 53.

4. baller4life315

Well, Philly has our (Milwaukee's) second round pick as part of the Dalembert trade. Right?

Which gives Philly two second rounders - one in the 30's and one in the 50's.

5. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

But their "own" 2nd rounder is at 30's. The 50's is ours, which we owe to them.

6. try

try Member

Yes, but the protected pick is the pick that results of the Sixers' season. So the other pick doesn't matter for us, the only way the Rockets would get the pick would be that the Sixers finish with one of the five best records in the NBA, which obviously won't happen.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Essentially what the Rockets did was trade Royce White, Cash to cover his salary, & THEIR OWN 2014 2nd rounder to Philly along with the rights to Furkan Aldemir (probably the best asset in the deal) for the 2nd round pick from Philly (that Houston will probably never get).

The Rockets paid a hefty price to rid themselves of Royce White. That's the one thing to take away from this whole deal, and Hinkie made out like a bandit.

-However, the Rockets will have the Knicks 2014 2nd rounder instead of their own this year which should be a better pick than their own 2014 2nd rounder they are giving up and their own 1st round pick which right now would probably be in the mid 20's (which in this draft could actually be a decent player that slips back).

-Note- some mock drafts have prospects like Aaron Gordon, Dario Saric, and Cauley Stein going around where the Rockets might end up picking. There could be some gems coming with either the Rockets late 1st or the Knicks 2nd rounder.

1 person likes this.
  9. baller4life315

Thanks for the info, guys.

I think what happened was I was so excited to see us flush #BeWell down the toilet that I completely forgot about the mysterious second rounder we got in the deal. ;)

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As others have mentioned, the Rockets' 2014 second rounder was traded to Milwaukee in the Samuel Dalembert trade just prior to the 2012 NBA Draft (in order to move up from #14 to #12). Milwaukee later traded that pick to Philly in a draft night deal during the 2013 NBA Draft. Separate transactions.

baller4life, the others are correct in pointing out where you might be confused. When a team trades a pick, unless there are express details otherwise, it will be that team's OWN pick. The other team cannot just "pick and choose" which pick it gets unless that is an express term of the trade.

The Rockets will NEVER see that 2014 Philly second rounder unless they make a separate trade with Philly to remove those protections.

12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Never say Never Bima, Philly could close out the season with a 41-game win streak while the Spurs, Pacers, Heat go .500 the rest of the way. I'm holding my breath.

13. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Wait you mean royche white isn't on our team anymore?

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

his cursed soul will be hanging over twitter

15. NotChandlerParsons

Or the NBA could add 30 expansion teams.

16. ComeBack

ComeBack Member

Good riddance, one of the most wasted draft pick ever.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am glad he isn't in Houston. I hope he can turn his life around and do something productive with it, if he can't play basketball.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

We drafted someone named White didn't we? Seems fuzzy to me now.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Actually we had a short pleasant time with James Flight White. :)

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I wonder what would happen if the 2 met... Would White go into panic attack seeing White fly?