1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White: the biggest fail of Morey's career?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Nov 14, 2012.

1. David Stern

David Stern Member

1) Offer full 4 years. At the end of the day we signed a lesser player to a contract with one year less. I'd rather lock in the guy you believe in for an additional year than to settle for a guy you cut 4 months earlier. I know the BS explanation but i don't buy it. If lin is nothing more than an average player for 3 years and Dragic is an above average player for the next 4 years I would hope you can see the problem with this logic.

2. Cost us an asset.

3) Disagree

4) Lee could had been re-signed cheap. The market was not there for him. He's a great 6th man and will be for the next 5 years. Dragic, Harden and Lee backcourt would be the BEST Backcourt rotation IN THE NBA.
    5) At the time we needed to surround YAO with quick players on the wing. Brooks and Wafer complemented Yao's game by hitting 3s and slashing to the bucket. An old Tmac and Battier could not do this.

2. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

It was Carroll Dawson that made the trade for Battier, not Morey #doyourhomework

3. David Stern

David Stern Member

Morey was the "GM in training" that trade had Moreyball analytics written all over it. I'm sure JVG was on board.

4. David Stern

David Stern Member

No way CD made the decision to make that trade. CD was all about trading FOR (not away) young upside guys via the draft. See Eddie Griffin or steve Francis trades.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It seems offensive now that just a couple months ago people were comparing Royce White's disposition to Arian Foster's.

6. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

1- yes
    2- yes
    3- No
    4- yes
    5- dont care
    6- Sign mike james
    7- Don trade t mac for Billups and Prince (the biggest mistake)

he makes a lot of good moves too. I think he is a very good GM.
    At least he make a lot of moves.

7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I didn't know much about the guy before he was drafted but, like many fans, I tried to learn what type of player he was in college by watching tape. I was never impressed.

Sure, his passing was great but nothing else about him seemed special enough to get him out on the floor in an NBA game so that he could use that one gift. He is a short PF with average athleticism (at best) and what appears to be a tendency to gain weight. He also lacks the quickness to make up for his physical short comings.

Honestly, he seemed like more of a gimmick player that might be good for 10 minutes a night to throw the opposing defense a completely different look before they caught on to the fact he wasn't a scoring threat.

9. Prince

Prince Member

White is either a bust or star, so volatile. unfortunately, it's headed toward the former.

10. cbb139

cbb139 Member

You think Morris wanted to go to RGV last season? If there is an out for him to not do these things, he probably wouldn't have either. He came to realization that he needs to accept and change. He didn't do that instantly, and that took time. Hopefully white will do the same.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If picking a bust with the 16th pick is the biggest fail of Morey's career, he's a pretty damn good GM. This isn't franchise busting like the Gilbert Arenas/Rashard Lewis max contracts. He didn't draft Kwame, Olowakandi, or Sam Bowie.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not really a 16th pick that just didn't pan out cause the guy wasn't that good, it's a 16th pick that never suited up because he didn't really want to/was not mentally able to be an NBA player - IMO, that's way worse.

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Why not five? Oh wait, they did:

Thats right sports fans, Dragic took a pay cut to go play for the Suns. Less money, less years. It was never about the money, it was about the player option.

Hasn't cost us anything yet.

Disagree all you want. Memphis has been mediocre for the past 8 years. They are irrelevant because they tried to build around Rudy Gay. They had more success with Battier playing in place of Gay. Bottom line is Rudy Gay is an all flash, no substance basketball player.

We didn't have Harden. We were dumping everything to rebuild, as EVERYONE was clamoring for. If it was known that Harden would fall in our laps, I'm sure the offseason would of gone much differently. The Rockets played their cards RIGHT.

Wafer was there for the playoffs the last time Yao played serious basketball. The next year we traded for Martin and Lee.

Your "mistakes" are not mistakes, they were sound basketball decisions.

1 person likes this.
  14. Lakersuk

Lakersuk Member

Yea man - i was gonna bring this up. Morey is ultimately responsible but Mcfale was pushing for this guy cause of his buddy Fred Hoyberg being in his ear about how much potential Royce has

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's just a 16th pick. No matter how bad the situation gets, it isn't very costly.

I'd say biggest failures are:

1. Telling McGrady to stop being a wimp when he said his knee wasn't right.
    2. Not trading Yao/McGrady when he had the chance.
    3. Not blowing up the team after the second round exit.
    4. Or the year after.
    5. Or the year after that.
    6. Letting Chuck Hayes go.
    7. Signing Lin over Dragic.
    8. Trading a 1st rounder for T-Will.
    9. Then maybe Royce White.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Ultimately, many NBA GM's have been fired for much less errors. No doubt Morey and co. are extremely regretting the decision to draft Royce, or prepare better contractually they signed him.

At the end of the day,

-Folks like Hoyberg should have been more honest about Royce
    -McHale could have kept out of the war room and let the guys who have been doing their homework, do their jobs
    -Les could give the Rockets more and more resources to do psyc evaluations
    -Morey could have went with a safer pick
    -or Royce could have decided he was just going to act like a normal F-ing human being

You can blame anyone you want, but you really cant single any one person here for this F-Up. The Rockets made a mistake, and unless Les wants to make Morey the GOAT here, he deserves to keep his job. Still one of the best GM's in the biz.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Oh, forgot:

5.5. Canning Rick Adelman.

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Well to be fair, Morey didn't have the luxury of having a #1 pick, fortunately (or unfortunately...). If he did, who knows... :grin:

And he did give Harden a max contract. I think Beard is worth it. But many others may differ.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You guys act like Royce is gone. They will get it worked out, I guarantee it.

20. David Stern

David Stern Member

I don't recall anyone calling for his job. Listing his mistakes is not exactly calling for his job. I agree he is one of the best in all of sports.