1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Royce White: the biggest fail of Morey's career?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Buck Turgidson

As of now, Terrence Williams. White's gaining ground by the tweet though.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Getting rid of Adelman ... although I think that was primarily Les; Morey could have talked Les out of it.

1 person likes this.
  3. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I feel like Dorsey was it. I had high hopes for that kid too. Royce, I never really cared for.

4. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Carroll Dawson drafted V-Span

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I don't see why this is such a big deal. He took a risk on a guy with a lot of potential. Better than a JAP like Zeller.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Different situation, but I do think the rockets brass is letting him blow off steam and will provide the opportunity for him to make amends.

I also remember Morris making waves last year (albeit on a much smaller scale)

Yes, I know it looks bad now. But after the dust settles, I won't be suprised to see him head over the the Vipers, put his work boots on and saddle up. Morey will swoop in and say how Royce's issues are real and that it's a work in progress and all will kiss and make up.

sidenote - I think I got you and Carl Herrera mixed up. Your posting styles are very similar to me and I confuse the two frequently.

7. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

At least he showed up to practice

8. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

u can't blame darryl fer dis

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>My <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23anxiety">#anxiety</a> is fine, besides being disappointed in the communication, and worried about consistency and the effect that has on my health.</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268815289104359424" data-datetime="2012-11-14T20:38:53+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

It's funny... it seems like a lot of people here always wanted Morey to take more risk in the draft and now that he did he gets criticized for doing it.

I liked White going into the draft quite a bit, but I'd probably wouldn't have taken him before #20 or so.
    Then again, there's isn't much of a difference between pick #16 and #20 and as much as I also liked Zeller, he's not going to be any kind of difference maker himself.
    It might turn out to be a wasted draft pick/asset, but big picture you really don't lose a whole lot and looking at the guys that went below White, it doesn't appear that you missed out on anybody special either.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This. Adelman would have been licking his chops with a player like Harden who can both create and play off the ball, not to mention a bunch of passing bigs.

And TWill is probably up there with White depending on which one you believe to have better potential. We lost a first rounder for TWill just like we would lose one if lost White for nothing down this path.

11. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Isn't it a little premature to label it the biggest fail considering we are less than 10 games into his rookie season? :confused: Even if he does become a bust, we aren't going to be taking too hard of a blow anyways considering he wasn't expected to be our franchise player or anything.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's a failure, but not like the 18th pick was going to vault us to glory.

The T-Will trade was a bigger failure, IMO.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't see anyway back from the situation, - the ongoing 36 hour public twitter tirade against the team sort of burned the last few bridges IMO.

14. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Actually, Morey had little to do with this pick. This was former GM current(sorta) coach Mchale pick. He came out and said he fought hard for this pick and that Royces college coach swore by him. Fire Mchale!!!!

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But Adelman wanted more say in personnel decisions right? He wouldn't have wanted to let Dragic go. We keep Dragic, that messes up our payroll flexibility.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No! Vspam is like greek t-mac, greek basketball the best and NBA suck rocket no understand that they is losing the next jordan!:p:p;)

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

It wasn't really Morey's pick at all. McHale was the one who really wanted Royce because of his unique game. But I believe both McHale and Morey didn't expect Royce to start acting so immature. They knew he had his anxiety problems, and were willing to face it. But both of them and the Rockets organization didn't expect to also deal with Royce's immaturity problem.

Right now, I don't believe that Royce's anxiety problem is the cause of all this mess. I really feel like he's being immature about the situation, being rebellious because he isn't in the rotation, angered because he is being sent to the D League, so he used his anxiety issue as an excuse.

As a player, Royce White is a great pick at the 16th pick. Morey drafted Royce as a player, not a person. Right now, Royce isn't handling the issue professionally. He should really understand that as a mid 1st round drafted rookie, he can't force the organization into doing what he wants. It is different if he was a 1st round pick or a star player, but an unproven rookie that's acting out because he isn't in the rotation.

Royce really need to understand that just because he is drafted into the NBA, does not mean that he is safe. He should know that he would be out of this league really quick because he is unproven and no other team want to deal with a headache on a unproven mid 1st round rookie. Look at Twill, who is probably just as talented as Royce White, is out of the league because teams don't feel like babysitting and dealing with a problematic young player that isn't even that good.

Right now, Royce really needs to wake up, and just do what the team ask of him. How is he going to crack the rotation if he doesn't show up for practice, doesn't reply to anyone on the team, and doesn't show up to games. Even if he knows he isn't playing that night, doesn't give him a reason to not show up. He should know that this is a team sport, so even if he isn't playing, they still need his support on the bench. This maturity issue is ridiculous.

Royce shouldn't expect that he will automatically be on an NBA rotation immediately. Sure he's a great player in college but haven't he heard that every single player that first got into the league have to start all over. Every NBA player said that they have to start completely over in the NBA, that they have to work hard and prove to everyone again that they are good enough to crack the rotation and become a starter.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hindsight is 20/20. Not surprised that the OP would now act like he did foresee this.

It's not Morey's failure. It's Royce White's, and nobody else's.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure it's"homework/diligence fail"-- they probably did their homework, know the risks, and took a chance knowing the risks.

20. conquistador#11

lol at the thread. it's the 16th pick in the NBA not NFL.