1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

"If McHale can pull this off Houston's a question mark at 18, the rest of the room is against you .....The rest of the room other than McHale says you too risky.... Ok...?"
    [​IMG]

2. alethios

alethios Member

So, is it safe to say at this point that Royce's main beef is with having a team-appointed doctor as opposed to using his own doctor with his prior course of treatment? That's significant because it means the world to people suffering from a pyschosis to have consistency and establish trust with their therapist or psychiatrist. It's obvious to me he does not like that the Rockets are trying to direct him towards a doctor of their choosing. With that said, He needs to stop tweeting about it.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no..what did he say?

4. Super Lintendo

I think he was trying to be funny on that occasion by emulating Homer Simpson.

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Earned not given</p>&mdash; Gregory Smith (@Ju_Smith4) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ju_Smith4/status/268509118283780096" data-datetime="2012-11-14T00:22:17+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not sure if this tweet was directed at Royce, or if Gregory was just feeling like tweeting something inspirational :cool:

1 person likes this.
  6. BeardlyBeardman

I'm not sure you could call him professional ...

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Essentially, at this point we can say that McHale and Sampson are both old school types of coaches. They go in expecting to see certain things, if they don't see them especially from rookies, they will pull them off the court and go with the next guy or the one they 'trust'. With White, there is no doubt because of the PF heavy roster we have, his RAW skill set as displayed in Summer League/Preseason games plus his hold out early in Training camp, they have him at the bottom of the depth chart. His comments about being treated as a commodity while easy to latch onto Morey could easily be latched onto the old school coaches that expect White to be like every other player they have coached.

Myself and others guessed before the season started that White likely would be this season's Marcus Morris and never see the floor. The coaches probably treated it as such but with White's issues their liberal usage of him is probably throwing him off of developing a routine that can ease his general anxiety. I personally, would have hoped getting sent down to the Vipers would have provided a nice platform for him to build himself to be ready for the NBA level but something must have gone wrong or they didn't explain it to him enough to cause him to go AWOL.

Not saying White is blameless but this coaching staff hasn't really shown themselves to be one that players seem to have the easiest times with.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, he is not. He is polarizing people on the internet. There are some people who support him and believe he's doing the right thing. There are people who think he is using the mental illness as excuses for his immature behavior.

What he has surely done is a demonstration that people with mental illnesses are extremely difficulty to deal with and if you have a business, you'd better stay away from them. And THIS is where he is hurting his cause, if he has a cause.

2 people like this.
  9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm sure Greg and the other rookies are keeping tabs on the situation, considering they played with Royce over the summer and know him a little. But I doubt it has much impact on their preparation. At this point, Royce isn't a part of the team, and he essentially never was. It comes down to Morey/Alexander and how they want to manage him and the whole RGV standoff.

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Like I said earlier, I really think that in his mind, the time he has missed is due to his condition, and because it was due to his condition he should be treated as if he didn't miss any of that time. Which is of course completely unrealistic for any illness or injury, mental or otherwise, and completely dismisses the effort and time the players who were there put in. Royce seems to think that the Rocket's are punishing him for his missed time, when in reality they are just rewarding the players who have proven them selves to this point.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Royce has an anxiety disorder per flying on planes. Well, what if we put loose snakes on the plane...along with Samuel Jackson. Then, he was to worry about the snakes versus the plane. By the time they coral all the snakes, the plane ride will be over and his anxiety disorder will be cured. Problem solved. Or, you could use spiders and John Goodman (or William Shatner if John isn't available).

"These mother****in snakes (or spiders) loose on a plane. I don't have time to be anxious about no plane ride. Get these damn things away from me."

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

His problem right now isn't with coaching...it's with management and potentially ownership.

13. instar

instar Member

he really needs intervention. mom or dad or friends whoever that maybe. how could his agent let this happen? does he have two jobs or something?

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Its a very sad situation...

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Seems like a convenient argument for him to have now at this point. He just tweeted that he's been in contact with the Doc, but hasn't actually gone to see him. If the Rockets are fining him for not seeing his Doc, then it MUST be in writing in their contractual agreement from training camp.

So whether or not he is for or against seeing the Rockets appointed doc really doesn't matter... He signed up for it, and he hasn't been going. Fact.

16. CowboyJeffR

CowboyJeffR Member

I think this is right on. Rep to you.

This is the way that I have felt since the "family doctor" stuff first came out. IMO, His doctor is enabling him to continue to use his disorder as an excuse for not fulfilling his responsibilities and living up to his commitments.

17. HeyBudLetsParty

Let's look at Royce's career so far

Claims that he out preformed people drafted infort of him i college. Cries because every other team passed on him (because he is too risky) and the Rockets took a chance on him.

Skips a week of training camp till the Rockets meet his demands.

Complains for the lack of playing time.

Skips practices, games, and therapy sessions set up by the Rockets at his convince.

This is a guy with ridiculous talent, and by all indications a good person. But his big head is getting in his way. if I had to bet I think he'll be out of the league in 3 years.

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Eh, vague especially since it was tweeted yesterday before White's stuff hit the fan, after a loss and earlier tweets were on living life.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

At one point is 'reasonable accomodation' satisfied?

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

holy crap. now the players are weighing in. that adds a new level to this drama; assuming it's even related

you know, i don't think the rockets always acts as a classy organization (see Rudy T Lakers's scout or trading Dream for details). And i'm sure they screwed somethings up in dealing with Royce ...in fact i know they did (migraines), but it's hard to sympathize with someone who takes to web to spew stream of consciousness diarrhea.