1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Whoever monitors social media for the Rockets is having a busy day.... damn.... Is this the worst twitter meltdown of a professional sports player ever?

2. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

Wow! Interesting where this all leads to. What a HUGE distraction for this team.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This can't end well at this point. As we've seen with McGrady's microfracture surgery, Morey doesn't do well with players that buck management. Meanwhile, White is burning all his bridges to stand up for his rights.

From here, I see the best-case scenario to be that the Rockets trade him for pennies on the dollar to another team that will give White the red-carpet treatment. The likely scenario is Morey trades him in a 2-for-1 and White's new team cuts him for lack of roster spots. White tells everyone he's been discriminated against because of his condition, but he loses his lawsuit because he can't prove it.

4. Super Lintendo

The people who send him negative tweets must be either totally ignorant or complete nutjobs if they do it knowing about his condition.

5. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

You may support him sticking up for his cause, and that's fine. This disorder certainly isn't a delicate matter.

But the way he's dealt with this absolutely 100% inexcusable. It's unjustified.

If he really wanted things to work, he'd shut the hell up and continue trying to work it out with the organization under wraps. Instead, he's taken to Twitter and is throwing gasoline on the fire.

Doesn't help that the Rockets now seem to be "digging in" and taking a hard-line stance.

6. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I think he was fooling himself a bit with all the travel arrangements. Think for a second about the logistics of being on the road even to a place like New Orleans. 12 hours on the road (there and back) just to DNP and comeback and practice. The whole time you're not enjoying the comraderie of being with the team, on the bus, on the plane, in shootaround. You're making yourself an outsider and losing valuable time that you should be spending in the gym.

I want to have sympathy for the guy, but short of him getting some therapy that will help him get on a plane, I just don't see how this is going to work. How is he going to develop his game and chemistry with his teamates if he's always seperated from them? He might as well play in Europe where they have high speed trains.

7. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

IS* I mean that it IS a delicate matter.

8. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I have a career in the mental health profession. That being said, this is an absolute soap opera/train wreck with Royce White. Between McHale and his leave of absence and Royce White issues, I'm surprise the Rox are able to have 3 wins at this point. I pray for both of them though.

9. Mr. Space City

should've never drafted this headcase.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Is it really a distraction for the team, though? It seems more of a Morey/Alexander issue. As far as the team is concerned, White has been absent half the time and hasn't played a single regular-season minute. I doubt they're losing much sleep over it.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What team is going to give him a "red carpet treatment." It isn't even like people think this guy can be a franchise player. The Rockets already did more than the majority of teams in the league are going to be willing to do.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This is the tweet that should be getting hammered right now. Granted, Royce deleted it late last night, but he said then that the tweet of the Bull report was "totally inaccurate" and even if it was true, he had his own doctor.

Now, a different story.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Being "in contact" does not mean actually attending a session, and that email is from yesterday at 4:14 PM and doesn't show anything the doctor said. It sounds like he is trying to say the doctor "advising" the session, meant it was optional.

This is just fuel to the fire rather than proof of any kind.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

So I'm not sure what the perceived lack of "support" is all about. Does he really think the team is supposed to keep him happy by giving him playing time over those who are actually earning it by showing up, busting their asses, and not complaining? :confused:

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

did u see greg smith's tweet?

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I can't believe this guy is melting down at this level.

I don't know about the NBA CBA with regards to conduct detrimental. Can the Rockets void his contract?

17. torocan

torocan Member

Two words.

Marbury. Vaseline.

18. Arthurprescott2

Seriously, Morris, PPatt and Smith have all been in the D-League. They are not going to look upon Royce fondly in the locker room.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
    Tweeting is a means of media, just like those who have provided misinformation about the situation... "We're the media now." #TwiiterForGood

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Yeah, not only is he burning bridges with management, hes also burning them down with teammates. Hes already been given special treatment by the team and travels separately from them, but now wants to be given playing time without earning it? I'm starting to believe that he is purposely trying to get fired so he can go off and do whatever he wants to.