1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Royce, your worst fears will always be confirmed on the internet. Get off of it while you still can...

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

for a long time now i've been wondering whether or not he even wants to be a professional basketball player. I can go along with the first priority being taking care of one's mental health. But if his second priority isn't basketball, he's not gonna make it and Houston made a bad decision. Either the NBA is Royce's life long dream or he's more interested in teaming up with Lenny Kravitz. There's no middle ground here. I'm concerned we drafted a guy, who besides having mental issues, doesn't really love basketball or care if he makes it in the NBA. Obviously i'm just speculating, but i don't get the sense that basketball is his passion.

3. kent335

kent335 Member

So True +1

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nope - he is one of those people. I'm not going to link to his crap, though.

5. Super Lintendo

You're reading too much into it. To say "never planning on making it" is the correct stock answer if you want to sound humble and having your head on straight.

6. tigernet

tigernet Contributing Member

This is a professional sports, and the team has no responsibility to babysitter anyone.

As a player, you would better shut up and work hard to earn your playing time.

7. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

We can say anything we want, but at the end of the day it comes down to what specific events White was referencing as 'inconsistent'. If it's something serious, then the team should shut up and fix that. If it's something moderate then White mishandled the whole thing.

Kind of like the Mchale leave of absense can make you wonder, but it turns out we need to pray for him.

8. Sanity2disChaos

SMH...........he is really the worst of the rookies we have and to this point I really dont see how he fits in with the team....

If he is upset that he is playing with the Vipers then he needs to have a chat with Morris and understand nothing is given.Morris had an issue somewhat the same but eventually got the point.White is not better than Morris and he is actually lucky to be on the team considering he was a known project...IMO

9. Aruba77

yeah i get your point but i'm more talking about how he seems to be more interested in things like making music than playing basketball. at the NBA level you really need to be able to be fully focused on your craft, especially in the early part of your career. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication, and you've really got to be married to it.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Royce is a young guy with a bright mind being challenged with the pressures being asked to fit a square personality into a round hole of dull professionalism.

He will continue to seek the best road for himself and pave a path for those who are challenged and ridiculed by those who have not walked the darker paths.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

How can you be "with" him when he has shown ZERO evidence of the alleged mishandling? Talk about having an agenda, my goodness...

1 person likes this.
  12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

When he openly has admitted that he never planned on making it, I think he answered the question for himself.

Lots of people aren't passionate about what they do, but if its means to an end, then there is justification to use that platform to get to where you want to get in life.

Royce is royally screwing up that platform. If its about being a "humanitarian" or a "philanthropist" he needs to realize something very important... NOBODY would give a crap about John Lennon's push for peace had he not made great music with the Beatles.

NOBODY will care about his work in pushing mental health issues if he is a one year NBA dropout. He might make a million dollars, but in elevating long term awareness for his cause, he just failed miserably, but the Rockets will keep the doors open for business. Look at the overall concensus on just this fansite. Do you really think the overall concensus is siding with Royce right now already?

What's sad to me is that this is a guy who played the character of someone who cared, and could make a difference in the world somehow using the game of basketball. In the end(which might already be now) he squandered that opportunity, and most likely will never get it again.

Maybe he's a great musician and can use that platform... who knows. I can play the game of basketball, but that doesn't mean Im an NBA player. I can make a song using Reason, pro tools, and Abelton on my laptop, but that doesn't mean I can write "Hey Jude".

Royce White has failed and proven himself to be playing a character rather than just being himself. If he truely cared about these issues, he would realize what he really has to do to make a difference.

1 person likes this.
  13. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

He has honestly lost his mind. He's not bringing "awareness" to anything. He's been on twitter all night and he's sounding crazy honestly.

14. Aruba77

i want to be sympathetic, but what about the tweets?

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
    I tweet 2 promote #Honesty and point out #Misinformation... It's important 2 see what ppl think about issues, their ur neighbors. #ItMatters

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
    “@_JuiceMan23: @Highway_30 you out here sounding like a b****. ***** ball up. *****s a die 2 get 2 where you at. �� Comments like ��scare me.

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
    The "just get on the plane" comment is baffling... LOW #publicawareness explains why we're having this issue, education is key. Its scary!

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Maybe in his head he believes to be so much better than the players that are playing for the Rockets...that he feels obligated to be a rotational player...I dont know what was promised to him prior to the draft...but obviously, The Rockets Royce White story will come to an end...I really think the Rockets have been extremely understanding and patient with this kid...but in the end...Royce white really just did this to himself...

17. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

You nailed it.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I am suspecting the same thing...that Royce doesn't want to play BB and is more about wanting Uncle Le$ to fund his "art" endeavors by jump starting his record label.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If White turns into a bust, it was a decision that didn't pan out. It was a high reward high risk pick. I think it was a good decision at the time.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

In his head, he thinks being transparent on the internet will help people better understand his condition. In reality, all it is doing is giving ignorant and jealous people a chance to project their own frustrations with life upon him.

1 person likes this.