1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Bro, did you just do an "A called and want B back" joke? Seriously?:grin:

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Listening to mr alexander, I think Royce is a goner...

I have anxiety myself, but Royce is handling this wrong. Sounds to me like believes the rockets should bend over to accommodate him because of his anxiety. That's beyond anxiety. That's immature.

They've already made exceptions for him that they haven't made exceptions for him. He's on a team. A team. This isn't some individual sport...you can't keep making super special exceptions for a guy that's not even proved he can play in this league.

Royce is living in a fantasy world. I completely understand what anxiety does to you (trust me), but Royce has some maturity problems as well.

My guess is that Royce never plays a minute of real basketball for us (unless someone he's close to can talk some sense into him). Right now his future looks bleak at best.

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Does the illness also cause him to call out the organization via twitter instead of deal with it privately like a reasonable person?

4. derelic

derelic Member

The Kings let T-Rob in....White thought he may get elbowed and ran away from the computer

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Honestly, I don't think this is about an anxiety disorder anymore. It feels more like it's that in ADDITION to an overdeveloped sense of entitlement that isn't uncommon for very young and pre-maturely successful/famous people.

The reality is that he chose to be in a profession that requires him to confront his anxiety disorder. He could chose to do something else where his actual job function doesn't require such a conflict.

I once counseled a guy that performed for a renowned symphony and struggled deeply with an anxiety disorder. He learned to recover from the disorder because his profession required him to perform despite it. The conductor, though sympathetic to his condition, was under no obligation to accommodate his disorder. I think the bottom line was that if he came to performance ready, they'd work with him.

Again I think we're mixing two issues: 1) an anxiety disorder and 2) youthful sense of entitlement. I think the 1st and peoples adjustment to it can easily enable and encourage the 2nd. Sticky situation....

6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Going on @<a href="https://twitter.com/csnhouston">csnhouston</a> at 10pm to discuss the Royce White situation. See u there...</p>&mdash; Matt Bullard (@bull50) <a href="https://twitter.com/bull50/status/268563410457878529" data-datetime="2012-11-14T03:58:01+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Anyone who has the channel wanna watch and let us know if he says anything interesting?

7. raining threes

P.S.

I already got paid

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

damnit, he hasnt tweeted in 15 minutes!

9. Arthurprescott2

it's not wrongful termination if he doesn't show up for work right? employment law is not my area of expertise though.

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Good point. I want to sympathize but him going public like that, bad mouthing the organization really makes it hard. There's no way else to see it; he's in the wrong.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I love this Comcast Sportsnet channel!

12. rolyat93

Will do.:)

13. Arthurprescott2

THIS. This is the main failure in all this right? Dude does have mental illness and has to take care of it. Fine. but take care of it in private. have private negotiations. i do not like how he's using social media to create leverage in this situation.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh wow.

Just read White's "full statement".

Get lost jerk!

I mean, obviously the team has more ability to impact public perception than a rookie player. But SURELY if you enter the NBA draft it kind of signals that you have every intention of competing in the NBA. His decision to declare for the draft meant that he wanted to play in a league where you travel cross county in those aeroplane things. This is part of the business and you happen to earn very big bucks for it.
    It seems to me as if the team has tried to help him, hasn't called him out, and now he complains that they aren't being "Royce White focussed enough"???

I guess the best we can now hope for is that he plays really really well in the D-League for the rest of the season. Hopefully things will get quiet on the 'where is Royce' front, and some other team is willing to take a chance on him later in the season and flips us a pick of some kind.

15. rolyat93

Bull says Royce's tweets show he does have a mental illness because they don't match up with reality.

16. mic

mic Contributing Member

SNAP!

17. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Lol nice one

18. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Rockets firing back?

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

wow that's cold