1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Coaches aren't responsible for draft picks. He supposedly impressed the Rockets front office with his interview.

2. split41

split41 Member

I know, but McHale was strongly pushed to draft White.
    In the draft day video, McHale was the one that stuck his head out for White.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BRUS6QBiViQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

This isn't some poor assembly line worker who has serious problems but still forces himself to work because his livelihood depends on it.

This is an utterly undeserved millionaire who has never achieved anything through hard work in his life, yet portrays himself as a frickin' martyr.

It's beyond ridiculous.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Y U so mad? The world is ending tomorrow, no need to go out angry at Royce White. :)

Seriously though, just settle down because it's Morey's pick and Les' cash. And to them, a 16th pick and ~$4mil guaranteed money is not a big deal in terms of investment.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jason Friedman said that this is not true at all. He was in the war room on draft day, and attested that everyone was very excited to get Royce. Maybe Jason is lieing here, but I doubt it. The guy is a pretty straight forward and has great relationships with alot of the guys in the Clutchfans community.

To me- it sounds like the his agent was playing the situation very conservatively to Royce that day. Meaning underpromise, overdeliver. He was obviously getting bad information from other agents and team officials. What was probably making that pick range tricky was the trade that Dallas and Cleveland were trying to pull off.

More than likely the bad information was coming from either of those two teams who were trying to feed bad info out to get the guys they want to land in the spots they needed them to.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He doesn't want to travel around with the team because he'd just sit the bench which for him would be stress for nothing. He doesnt want to go to dleague because that is even more travel and best case is that he'd come back home to travel with the team and sit the bench. He would instead just rather sit home, visit the dr once or twice a week, try and keep his name/fame going through twitter until he's stockpiled enough cash to get his imaginarian work off the ground.

Now he can't very well be that #transparent and tell everyone that because he is smart enough to know that that would cause his whole scheme to come to an end.

I think the Rockets have hit bottom on getting an unstable person. Mad Max < MWP < TWill < #anxietytrooper.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

where do kirk snyder, EG, and 2sandwiches fit in?

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I tend to believe what you are saying, because in the post draft interview (on draft night) Morey sounds most excited about the Royce pick. Morey is at least on board with this pick, and it's very likely he's one of the people pushing for this pick.

9. dobro1229

Morey always talks about taking gambles on guys with red flags. I think this might be the very last personality red flag Morey takes on a young player now that they have a good core moving forward. Or at least now they will go into the Gamble with much more protection. Meaning, Royce should have been a 2nd round pick with a contract that gave the team more power.

Either way they have been burned way too many times now on Morey's watch. They still haven't even paid their dues yet for the T-Will blunder. Its going to sting on draft night when they have to give up a first rounder for a guy who is now playing somewhere in China, and disabled his own Twitter account months ago because it destroyed his career.

Nice guys finish last, and the Rockets are getting burned for being to trust worthy with a player that nobody else trusted. The worst thing about it is Royce really isn't even that good at basketball. He makes some flashy passes, but is far from having an NBA ready game. Royce... Be Well.

10. jocar

jocar Member

So many pages, not sure if this was posted yet.
    (just a rehash of everything, ending with "The truth is, halting his NBA career might, in the end, also set him free."
    )
    http://www.themanitoban.com/2012/11/staying-grounded-the-story-of-nba-rookie-royce-white/12933/

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Like many others here, I had a great deal of sympathy for Royce's problem(s) when we got him, and assumed he would be relatively high maintenance, at least initially, even though he went out of his way pre-draft to talk about how he could deal with his problem(s) and said he showed that in college. So the Rockets pass up on some other serious talent because of White's obvious upside and take a chance on the guy. BIG mistake, obviously. We've all seen what happened as far as the damaging and exasperating and endless "tweets" this guy has been making, where he makes vague accusations against Rockets management without actually saying anything to support those vague allegations, and while doing so, refuses to go practice with the team, refuses to go to D-League, where numerous young Rockets players have gone because the team asked them to, whether or not they wanted to.

Here's a quote from about a month ago:

Current Rockets forwards Patterson and Marcus Morris, both taken with the 14th pick of the draft, said they spoke to the rookies about playing in the D-League.

“When you’re first sent to the D-League, you don’t want to go,” Patterson said. “You want to be in the NBA. You want to be around your teammates. You want to be up here. But the D-League is not a negative. It’s a positive. You get to start. They run plays for you. You’re pretty much the man down there on your team. You get to play when you don’t get to play up here.”

Motiejunas and Machado said they have no issues with the move and look forward to getting the playing time they weren’t getting with the Rockets. Morris was unhappy with the decision last season but endorses it now, a point he made to Machado and Motiejunas.

“I just said, ‘Don’t take it as a demotion. Just go down there and play,’ ” Morris said. “None of us have seen Royce. He didn’t come to the game and missed three or four practices. … I text him all the time, make sure he’s doing fine, but he hasn’t texted back.”

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...ent-to-d-league-team-with-machado-motiejunas/

White seems to have plenty of time to "tweet" to the world, but not enough time to communicate with his teammates. He makes vague accusations against team management, but when repeatly asked what those issues are, replies with more vague accusations. In my opinion, the stress of playing in the NBA appears to be a mountain Royce White simply cannot climb. I understand that he has an illness. So do the Rockets, who are now White's personal punching bag. They've tried to be accommodating, took a tremendous risk drafting him, and are being repaid by White with an endless Twitter campaign of slander without proof, innuendo with substance.

I don't know why White doesn't just own up to what is obvious to me. He's afraid to play in the NBA. It was a mistake on his part to try, and a mistake on the Rockets part to draft him. They should come to a parting of the ways. It's time. Hell, it's past time.

12. just a word

just a word Member

Well, but it could be pointed out too that, with the exception of White, the Rockets (or its core at least) are turning out to be very high-character guys, with no locker-room drama.

I love this fact so much that I'm pretty much against Dwightmare landing in Houston, even if he came over as a free agent, on pennies.

13. dobro1229

^ Couldn't agree more Deckard. If I'm Morey, my thinking is that there is no point in cutting him yet until we need his roster spot. So the "parting of ways" is most likely contingent on what the plans are at the trading deadline, and how soon they will need his roster spot. It would be a shame to have to cut Machado instead of Royce if they needed to make a deal.

If there are even minor deals in the works to trade expiring for expirings to get draft picks, its in Morey's best interest to seek out voiding Royce's contract legally as opposed to just straight waiving him(paying him this year's salary plus next year's as well). For all we know, they might already have litigation in process to do so, but I doubt it. More than likely they are waiting for some sort of deadline to void or waive him.

Im not sure about this so maybe there is an attorney on the board this morning that knows what legally they can do if they waive him, and then seek damages afterwards if that is even possible. That way they can cut him quickly if a deal comes up, and then let the legal process take care of the process of voiding the contract in Les Alexander's favor.

Maybe, they just simply don't care, and will pay him the full 3.2 mil he's owed just to wash their hands of him, but you have to think that there is some pride coming from Les where he is willing to fight it based on principle.

14. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Rockets shoulda left him alone after they heard that story about him stealing lap tops off the college campus.

15. split41

split41 Member

Thanks for the correction, I was primarily going off the video and rumours floating around clutchfans. I agree, Jason is a much more reliable source - my bad. Comment retracted.

16. Grigori

Grigori Member

I keep hearing the word #transparency used by this Royce "Comcast" White person, but I don't think it means what he thinks it means.

17. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Let this thread die already. Dude's getting more annoying by the minute. It's nothing basketball related too so maybe we should just move this to the feedback section. He's and irrelevant nba basketball player that has done nothing in the nba to be talked about.

Seems like an ex college bball player that is attempting blackmail for a get rich quick scheme while doing nothing but getting on twitter to get noticed.

btw, I am not trying to disrespect anyone here with a mental illness and I realize that this can be a touchy/emotional subject to some. Still, Royce White's issue is no longer GARM worthy at this point. Should go to hangout where we can talk about health,sympathy,blackmail, twitter, and fear of flights all in one place.

18. alethios

alethios Member

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rockets rookie forward Royce White says he'll begin working with a member of the team's staff next week at Toyota Center.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/281967833980739585" data-datetime="2012-12-21T03:42:24+00:00">December 21, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Royce White has been away from Rockets since Nov. while 2 sides resolve issues related to his anxiety disorder while playing in the NBA.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/281968342330388480" data-datetime="2012-12-21T03:44:26+00:00">December 21, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Royce White says he is "hopeful" he will be able to play 4 the Rockets again this year. "I want to play for the Rockets more than anything."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/281969106717118464" data-datetime="2012-12-21T03:47:28+00:00">December 21, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. deshen

deshen Member

I am tired of this guy. It is getting old and it is time to tie up for the discipline.
    no show on practice/game in NBDL? no payment.
    it should solve all the issues.