1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White on ESPN Outside the Lines, January 22nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 16, 2013.

1. teebone21

teebone21 Member

I just saw a piece of the interview on NBA gametime, Royce wants his doctor to tell the rockets what games he can play in!!!!!!!! OF COURSE Morey gonna say hell no, he wants to skip games WITH pay

2. hahachui

hahachui Member

CUT THIS KID

3. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Can't stand this clown

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The many philosophical and religious meditations on the merit of arguing with fools... pick one.

If you just feel compelled to engage this guy, do so with reasonable and logical questions. Insults and vile just embolden him. Sure he won't retweet your reason, but civil engagement is far more effective with the tweet reading audience. (That is who you are really communicating to anyway since White's crazy is probably impenetrable.)

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I'll be on Outside the Lines on ESPN at 3pm EST today with @<a href="https://twitter.com/bobleyespn">bobleyespn</a> to talk about Royce White. Check it out.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) <a href="https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/293751823507017728" data-datetime="2013-01-22T16:07:47+00:00">January 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I've been very anti-Royce from the beginning, but I actually don't think the appointed doctor every day is a terrible idea. If it's a Rockets appointed physician, then there's no biased towards Royce getting special treatment. If he's not mentally prepared to play in a game, do we really want him to play in that game?? Have him play in the games that he is ready for.

As I'm typing this I realize that's a HUGE burden on the Rockets, to give such a commitment to a guy who may or may not be able to play on a daily basis. This is a tough situation. Anything would be better than this standoff though.

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not anti-Royce and I hope that the Rockets don't cut him and are ultimately able to utilize his talents, but I see no way he can ever play unless he modifies his stance some. The Rockets have (reportedly) already made some concessions to accommodate his position. And this idea that there are "unsafe working conditions" do not even leave an option for the Rockets. There is nothing they can do to correct this perceived problem. And that is where I don't think White can win this stand-off. The Rockets aren't asking him to do anything more dangerous than any other player. The fact that Royce White's mental condition causes him to perceive the working conditions as unsafe is not something the Rockets can correct. It's not their fault that he perceives life in the NBA (or D-league) as unsafe. He needs to address this issue in the best way he can in order to perform his job or find another occupation.

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Every game missed = no pay problem solved

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Do you remember the Tmac fiasco when he was in and out of games? Same with Yao. Giving Royce that option makes him injury prone. You might as well be dealing with Yao and tmac all over again. You can't plan anything like that from a basketball perspective, especially for the kind of player that he is.

10. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Yao and Tmac were all-stars, not a rookie that hasn't even played one game. I'm just glad this whole situation isn't really affecting the entire team or anything. Its just a GM vs. Player situation.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

side note: i'll bang coleen dominguez

1 person likes this.
  12. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He's been ignoring the Rockets-appointed Dr. from the beginning.

Besides, the dude basically lied in order to get drafted. Gave all sorts of assurances he could handle the anxiety. You can see it in the "open letter from Morey to Royce" thread.

So I'm not inclined to think of Royce White as anything more than a wasted draft pick. Time for Morey to find out how to get out from paying this dude and get him off the salary cap, if possible.

14. HTXcfs

HTXcfs Rookie

Does ESPN pay Royce for this?? If so he should reimburse the Rockets for the "appointed" dr.'s that dont meet his needs.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Royce White, despite being a rookie, isn't a scrub. He'd eventually be a rotation player and a very unique one. Having Royce in and out would definitely affect the team's play and game plan.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it's ironic that if Royce had kept his head down, put in his time in the D-League and practiced hard with the team, he might be in position to carve out a decent role (15-20 minutes) for himself in the rotation. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looks like a fluff interview.

No tough questions for Royce.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Royce White taking it to the national scale with these two interviews, kind of follows what I posted a couple weeks ago.

He certainly is playing his cards. But he doesn't have much bullets left and to me these interviews reek of desperation. I doubt we'll here more from him going forward.

Unless is positive, the Royce White story has been beaten to death, and although he probably doesn't know it yet, these interviews just might have ended it for him.

If I were Royce I would have planned these kind of interviews a little later into the season.

Now every ******* righter has already talked about him and said what needed to be said.

19. the shark

the shark Member

In any relationship, in order for it to work, there has to be trust. Royce White looked the Rockets mgmt in the eyes and lied to them in order to get drafted. Some people say, "didn't you do that when you were young in order to get hired"? That's not the point. Sure people can do this, but just like anything else in life there's consequences for ones choices.

Now Royce White can say he has issues "trusting" the Rockets, but he was the one who lied from the very beginning and the Rockets (like any team in the NBA) would NOT have drafted this guy if he would have told the truth. Royce White KNOWS this and that's why he lied.

Playing in the NBA is a privilege and NOT an entitlement. He has an opportunity that 350-400 people in the world get, and it's not something that's handed to you on a silver platter and guaranteed. Just like in ANY profession, you have to abide by the rules that the employer state AND you have to produce in order to remain employed or they'll find someone else to do the job.

Every professional athlete, actor, musician, engineer as well as any other professional career knows this. The word "professional" (or "Pro"), means you are getting paid for your services. If you don't abide by the rules that every other employee has to abide by you will be terminated. End of story.

Royce White isn't being treated badly or unfairly. You tell me what employee in ANY profession or at ANY company could tell them, "no I don't want to see your doctor" and still be employed?

An NBA team isn't going to pay someone millions of dollars to play when they feel they're up to it. I mean for him to expect this is flat out crazy. IMO, this has NOTHING to do with Royce White's anxiety issues, but rather his entitlement attitude. Again he LIED to get the opportunity to begin with.

No doubt he has MENTAL health issues, because anyone in his shoes (with the opportunity he currently has) would do whatever they have to do to take advantage of the opportunity in front of him. This includes people with mental health issues.

If he (or anyone else for that matter) can't do what the employer is asking him to do:
    *fly with the team
    *see a team appointed dr
    *go to the D league assignment (as TJones & DMO & Morris have done)
    Than the solution is very simple. The employer will cut ties with you and that's it. They'll find someone else who recognizes how blessed they are just to have the opportunity placed before them and those that succeed are those that can handle not just the physical attributes of the profession but the MENTAL aspects of the job as well.

Royce White has done the EXACT opposite of what he's claiming he's wanting to do in so many ways. He doesn't want to play basketball or he would have seen the Rockets drs and gone to the Dleague. He says he wants to be an advocate for others with mental health issues in the work force? All he's done is make employers around the world take notice that you're probably walking into a nightmare on so many fronts if you open up pandoras box and hire someone with these issues. They'll now be asking themselves the question, "do we want to get ourselves into a Royce White situation as the Rockets did"? Most of them will say "NO", because in the big picture it won't be worth it. So this means that you, Royce White, weren't instrumental in advancing the cause for others with mental health issues, but that you played a HUGE role in setting the cause back more than your prima donna+self-entitlement attitude could have EVER envisioned. Yes you brought awareness to the issue but not the awareness that will help advance the cause.

These precious opportunities that only a few potentially are blessed with will dry up for those you claim you're trying to help. Maybe one day Royce someone will teach you the difference between playing checkers and chess. All you see is the move in front of you and you are CLUELESS about the moves down the road. The BIG picture.

Maybe the Rockets would have been willing to work with you more if you didn't LIE to them and were also willing to show them that despite your issues you recognized how precious this opportunity is that they were willing to extend to you and put forth some effort. Fact is EVERY player, in the history of the NBA, every team, has to want it and be willing to fight through adversity because NOTHING is guaranteed.

Unfortunately Royce you (and the advice you're listening to) are CLUELESS!!!!!

Good luck getting people to listen to you once you've been dumped by the Rockets and no other NBA team comes calling with another precious opportunity that you just PISSED on because you have NO clue. You weren't worth the headache.

20. Grigori

Grigori Member

It's like Morey says, Royce has been suspended without pay and we will see whether he actually wants a job or not in the offseason.