1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White on ESPN Outside the Lines, January 22nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Exactly. The dr is going to base his final call based on what Royce tells him. In other words, he wants to skip practices, workouts and games whenever he wants...even at the last minute...with no consequences whatsoever.

I think it's pretty obvious that Royce will never play in an NBA ever because I don't see either side coming close to giving in on this.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/04Ya_Ycv7p4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

It seems White is not asking for anything unreasonable, but again his mentality and attitude on twitter and his whole mission make him come off egocentric and fighting just for the sake of it. This is a lot bigger than basketball to him, yet his actions and words besides these occasional interviews where he's genuine and understanding of the Rockets situation contradict this. He would've been a lot better off if he hadn't run his mouth and the Rockets and him worked this out before the season. A big fail from both White and Morey / Rockets organisation.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Out of Bounds would have been more fitting :grin:

5. SRR21

SRR21 Member

"I just can't go this month Doc" "Hey Morey where is my check I am taking a bus ride to Cancun to meet my herbalist"

6. SK34

SK34 Member

Man this guy is pissing me off... can't the nba do anything about this? Its really frustrating to watch this as a basketball fan and even more as a Houston Rockets fan. I really believe Stern should step in and take matters into his own hands for Royce White.

7. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Ben Golliver: Rockets GM Daryl Morey, in letter to White, says White apologized for misleading Rockets about his fear of flying prior to 2012 NBA Draft Twitter @blazersedge

Ben Golliver: HBO feature reveals letter from Rockets GM Daryl Morey to Royce White, dated Nov. 20, in which Morey says Rockets have "bent over backwards" Twitter @blazersedge

Wow, white shows HBO private communications between Morey & him to HBO. This guy is an A$$hole

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets has commented weeks ago that Royces demands are in violation of the CBA. Its understood that this is now between the NBA, NBPA, and Royce White with the Rockets stuck in the middle. The Rockets could side step the CBA to suit Royce's demands, but obviously they aren't willing to take those kind of chances understandably.

This is in Stern and the NBPA's court to approve or deny any requests that Royce and Rockets make moving forward. So yes, Stern is very much in the know of whats going on here.

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I understand Royce's demands - I really do. Problem is, they are not realistically doable in the NBA. Being day to day for the rest of his career for any game or practice, no team can put up with this.

So if that is what Royce needs - he really just has to accept that he is too ill to be in the NBA and walk away.

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

White knew this from the start. So he did what he had to do to get that guaranteed contract by pretending he head his issues under control and misleading the team. Now that he thinks the CBA and ADA promise him money, he's acting fool. Now he'll "accept" a buyout.

He is a well spoken young man. But so are most con artists. He is just making nice for the cameras with his publicity campaign. Next thing that doesn't go his way, he'll be back on a twitter rampage. If he really wants to pioneer, then get to work and win from the inside.

White knows this is an uneven discussion. He can make any claim he wants about the team in the public. The team, on the other hand, cannot speak about the issues because doing so may violate his rights to medical privacy.

11. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://nba.si.com/2013/01/19/rockets-royce-white-mental-health-protocol-hbo/

12. prs325

prs325 Member

This situation has really gotten out of hand. Now that its been revealed exactly White's idea of a medical protocol, I doubt the Rockets or any team for that matter will acquiese to any of his demands for it not only will throw a monkey wrench to the day to day operation of any basketball franchise but will set a precedent for anyone who have some kind mental health issue and take advantage of this loophole.

The NBA is not a big medical facility that allows one to seek treatment in order to be employed by the same company. It would be great if some business operates in that manner, its laughable. Normally, if a player acquired an injury, they would be away from the team, go through rehab and when finally able can participate with the team. The same can be thought of White. He needs to get his medical issues together and when resolved, then he can rehab and join the team.

Indeed the Rockets have bent backwards for this guy and players, agents and people around the league who are aware of this situation must commend the organization in handling for what seems like a PR nightmare. I do believe that the longer Daryl holds on to White, the better the Rockets look.

13. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

this will haunt royce.

14. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

More like Out of his Mind.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2013/01/daryl-moreys-letter-to-royce-white/

Dear Royce,

This seems to be a good time for us to step back and think about some of the issues that we have been dealing with over the past few months. As we have told you repeatedly, our goals are for you to be fully integrated into the Team and to have a healthy and productive season, both on and off the court. We have been committed to these goals from the day we drafted you, and have acted consistently with those goals ever since. We have bent over backwards to accommodate your requests and help you meet these goals. At our meeting yesterday, I spent significant time addressing your frustrations. I would like to take this opportunity to further explain how your actions and the changing nature of your explanations for your actions has frustrated our attempts to help you meet your goals. The bottom line is that we remain willing to work with you on issues that arise from legitimate medical need, but you have to come to games, practice and everything else that you are able to do, just like any other player.

To revisit from the beginning, before we drafted you, you told us that your fear of flying was not an issue and that you were ready to be an NBA player. Shortly after we drafted you, you apologized for having to mislead us. You later indicated that you were feeling anxious about flying to the NBA’s rookie orientation program this summer. When you missed your scheduled flight, we arranged for a later flight and for Matt Brase to travel with you, working with the NBA to accommodate your concerns. Shortly after that, we informed you that we thought it would be beneficial for you to meet with Dr. Aaron Fink, a world-renowned psychiatrist, who could provide you with access to an appropriate professional in Houston to help should any situations arise. We gave you Dr. Fink’s contact information and several available times for an interview. You and your representatives responded that you viewed this as a very helpful step and confirmed that you would meet with Dr. Fink. You did not do so.

The page labeled “Mental Health Protocol” begins as follows:

In order for the working conditions to be safe and healthy for someone with mental illness/disability, it is the belief of the medical experts and myself credited for this document that a protocol has to be developed on how to appropriately deal with an individual in respect to mental illness(s)/disabilities from an operational and medical standpoint. A protocol will not only ensure the safe and healthy work conditions for a player like myself with mental illness, but also will lend a system of accountability for both the team and I to use to base what is the appropriate route of action.

Due to the lack of protocol regarding mental illness, this agreed upon document will serve as an addendum to insert into the medical category of the contract and team rules.

1. Protocol terms

a: Acknowledgment: Acknowledging mental illness/disability as being in the category of mental condition.

i. Recognizing the individualistic nature of mental illness

1. All mental illnesses unique to each individual despite similar diagnosis.

- Daryl Morey's letter to Royce

16. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Is there any indication the hurdle is a doctor ordering that Royce get X amount of playing time? As opposed to saying he is unable to play. NBA teams are used to scratching a player due to injury. Shouldn't be a big deal to scratch royce is he's feeling anxious.
    Playing a guy who's not ready because a doctor says you have to would be a different ball of wax.

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Sorry, I had to go there...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>“@<a href="https://twitter.com/izakdavid13">izakdavid13</a>: “@<a href="https://twitter.com/factsionary">factsionary</a>: Every 50 seconds, a laptop is stolen.”Royce White @<a href="https://twitter.com/highway_30">highway_30</a> Faints!!!”<a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BeWell">#BeWell</a> friend...</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/292399559609569280" data-datetime="2013-01-18T22:34:22+00:00">January 18, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. codell

codell Contributing Member

How many threads are you going to post this in?

19. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Getting a #BeWell from White is a notable achievement ;) "friend" is just icing on the cake

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Outside of spending their pick on someone who wasn't crazy, I'm not sure exactly how Morey and Rox org has failed. From what we know Morey and co. have done eveyrthing possible to get Royce to play ball. Let's not forget that:

*White promised the Rox before he got drafted that flying isn't an issue
    *White essentially admitted he lied and said he won't go to the rookie orientation because he fears flying
    *White also missed part of training camp due to flying issues
    *White requested to be able to bus his way to games, and the Rox not only agreed to this, they also paid for his bus and his driver out of their own pocket
    *White decided he'd rather tweet his way to PT rather than earn it when he got sent to the dleague.

Who cares what this A-hole says in interviews? What matters is what he does outside of them, this was the same guy who swore up and down in predraft interviews that his fear flying could be conquered easily with the help he's been getting.