1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White on ESPN Outside the Lines, January 22nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 16, 2013.

1. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I am not normally vindictive but I do not agree with those who say cut or trade and it isn't because I believe there can be resolution. It is about precedent. They need to keep him suspended and sit on his rights. We'll see how resolute he is this time next season or the next when he watches his NBA chances dwindle. I think handling any other way, whether through trading/cutting him or giving in to having a 3rd party dictate when he can play, would be admitting defeat and setting a dangerous precedent.

I am über-pissed over the Comcast situation but I am in full support of how the Rockets have handled this to date.

2. teebone21

teebone21 Member

3 year suspension means he wont get paid- cut him means he will get all his money. F***k him, he doesnt deserve a dime

3. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I don't even think he is that good to begin with.

I can't wait for the Rockets to file a lawsuit to make his contract null because he didn't fill out contract duties.

Honestly, I say you give in to getting an independent doc... but make him play in the D-league. Watch his ass not play and make an example of him because he will ruin his own awareness!

4. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

At the end of the day, it's all about money. Do the Rockets pay him if he doesn't attend practices? D-League? What if they cut his minutes short and he has "anxiety"? I think Royce can't tell the difference between his anxiety disorder and just normal stress. Notice that anytime he's had to do something not to his liking - D-League assignment, training camp, he's brought up "medical reasons".

The symptoms of a mental condition can be faked. Royce has a history of theft, and of avoiding responsibility (transferring to another school). He basically deceived the Rockets organization into drafting him and signing a contract.

Imagine if one day when leaving the house he looks at his hats and starts having "anxiety", so he calls in "sick" because his mind isn't ready for the game. Do the Rockets still pay him? If it's erratic, then it affects lineups to the point that it's better off not playing him.

Royce says if the Rockets agreed to the "#protocol" he's laid out, that he probably would play every single game. Can you trust his word? I don't think so.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=faking-mental-illness

5. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Andre Miller + 2nd round pick for Toney Douglas and Royce White.

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I agree that a mental disorder poses the same or possibly even greater danger to a person than a physical one. Problem is there's like 10 times the amount of baggage the organization has to account for when dealing with a mental disorder. It's much more unpredictable and difficult to diagnose.

I disagree with you that the Rockets knew what they were getting into and are obligated to see it through. The Rockets definitely were prepared to deal with the transportation issue and provide him access to mental healthcare professionals. They also had some reassurance from Royce himself that everything was okay. His successful playing career in college provided some evidence that he could get through a basketball season. At no point did they didn't ever foresee him (or a 3rd party doctor) being able to determine when he can go to work or not. At that point it became untenable to accommodate him.

Basically, the Rockets didn't account for one of three things.
    1.) The depth of his mental issues
    2.) The depths of his egomania/prima-donna-ism/narcissm
    3.) Or simply never considered that he might be scamming them

I hope it's just the first one as the last two would be pretty sinister.

7. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

royce white on 97.9 the box right now!

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Woah Royce says they're in the '12 hour' of negotiations and there's supposed to be a resolution today. He says he's going to report to the D-league Feb 11 if things go according to plan.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I hope not.

He doesn't deserve that 44th chance with us. Find a new team.

There are so many guys in the DLeague that are HUNGRY. They would bend over backwards just to get some sort of attention or potential playing time from the Rockets. I'm sure dozens of them have horrible things going on in their lives, possibly chronic dpression, but they haven't turned it into an "employer-hostage" game.

I'd rather have Von Wafer.

10. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I was just about to post that :eek:

What I dont understand is if they are so close to a resolution, what is he doing giving these national interviews?:confused:

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

We've been down this road too many times. How many times has Royce pulled the rug out from underneath the feet of the Rockets at the 11th hour? Feb 11th is a long time for Royce to come up with another way to make himself feel like a martyr.

12. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Oh, hai.

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

royce called into 97.9 this morning to talk about his situation. he was saying the plan is for him to join the d-league Feb. 11th.

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

don't believe that psycho brat..your still under negotiations and your spilling it to the media..hope DM and Les put an end to the BeWell saga.

15. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not going to be holding my breathe on this. Just waiting on another excuse... such a waste of potential.

16. Samdogg36

Samdogg36 Member

I want Macklin brought up and givin chance 6'10 physical player with heart...white has no heart

17. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Translation:

I'm running out of money, want to buy more fabulous hats.

#BeFabulous

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he said he hasn't gotten any money yet

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think Royce should be given a number of "sick" days/games where the team will compensate him if his anxiety acts up. Maybe something like 2 games a year. I think that will keep him honest and he won't fake symptoms knowing that he won't get paid if he does. I understand that regular NBA players get compensated when they are hurt but that is because those injuries are normally a result of their job.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He says a lot of things, many which are suspect.

Otherwise, he must have a sugar momma to be driving an Audi, have B&W speakers, live in a nice pad with that fabulous wardrobe.

Doesn't really matter if he was actually paid before being suspended, just saying (tongue in cheek) he'll need more money to support his metro lifestyle.