1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White on ESPN Outside the Lines, January 22nd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gah, Jan 16, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Royce White on RealSports:

**(talking about the NCAA tournament last year): I'm the best player in the country. I knew that at the time. I abused their whole team all game.(Kentucky)

**(It's a business. They need your talent on the court. They don't want to hear you had an anxiety attack.): I'm sure they don't want to hear Harden broke his ankle either.

**I get nervous when people talk about planes. I am nervous right now talking about it. Then the sweaty palms, fast heart beat, almost passing out, all these things happen before I get to the airport. ... A death trap 35K feet in the air.

**Getting around in a car makes him nervous. Driving makes me uncomfortable. A lot of other people on the road and people text and drive. I'm more scared of it than you are. Are you wondering if they are texting and driving? (He is.)

**McHale was Royce White's best chance.

**(You know why they didn't want you.): Mental health is uncertain right now. It represents a lack of awareness.

**As he fell (in the draft), his anxiety rose.

**I want people to see you can deal with your disorder or chase your dream. They took a chance on me. They didn't have to.(referring to Grantland video)

**Key point: He wants an independent doctor, not the team doctor, to have final say for when he's well enough to play and not well enough to play.

**Only difference is you can't see my "injury".

**(People will watch this who say who do you think you are?): I totally get it. ... I'm a human being. That's it. ... I'm not gonna accept it without a fight.

**Mental health is a documented disability. Been around a long time. My health can't be bought. My morals can't be bought. I remain to stick to my morals.

**At Iowa State, Royce White didn't miss a single game. He trusted his coaches. He could trust the Rockets if they give him the doctor they would defer to. Then he wouldn't miss a single game this year either.

**(Michael McCann, Sports Lawyer): White is the first athlete to test a league and team on how flexible they can be with his mental health. Having this doctor being the final or only decision maker, not reasonable.

**Royce needs structure and predictability.

**You see my hangers. They're spaced. Suits facing the same way. Royce suffers from OCD.

**The item in here(my closet) that represents the most anxiety to me is these hats. A round shape on a hook. Geometrically, it messes with my mind. I'm careful when I come in my own closet. I don't want to spend 20 minutes trying to fix it.

**(How does the NBA kill you?) If I'd play now without protocol, I'd be risking my life.

**Royce White's coach at Iowa State played for McHale. He vouched for Royce White.

**(What did Iowa State do that Houston is not doing?): Iowa State understood Royce's position because Hoiberg had a heart problem. He was sensitive to Royce's problem and Royce trusted him.

**When you get down to it, Royce may have some sympathy(for the Rockets , but) he believes his condition is absolutely no different from a physical disorder.

**(If he doesn't play, what can he do or prepared to do?): Ultimate irony is he wants to be a spokesperson for mental health. There are other teams in the league and maybe one other team that will show interest in him and if this doesn't work out, he may be with some other team (next year).

#201 J.R., Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wait, is Royce White threatening to break James Harden's ankle?:p

3. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>For everyone that just watched Royce White on HBO, we will have Daryl Morey on, with a chance to respond, at 815 tomorrow morning.</p>&mdash; nick wright (@getnickwright) <a href="https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/293921720975376384">January 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, just trying to curse him. :mad:

:p

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

James Harden was on 1560 Afternoon Delight today and commented on the Royce White subject (starts around at 4m12), he also commented about the possibilities of recruiting players during the All Star game (1m35):

http://www.1560thegame.com/mp3/files/Harden%20.mp3

Personally I could see Morey package White with others in a deal to get that 2nd star. Just make it out like "hey maybe you'll have better luck with him but if you do you're getting an absolute steal."

2 people like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Interesting(and somewhat misleading) that Brian Gumble commented at the end about another team next year taking a chance on him.

I find this commend slightly un-educated about the NBA business world.

Will another team take a chance on him?... absolutely. I can guarantee it to you. But it will be with a non-guaranteed contract with a understanding ahead of time that its their way or the high way.

Suitable requests to be made, sure, but it would create a working environment much more similar to that of.... ding, ding, ding.. Iowa State where the relationship was established on much different circumstances.

The only reason why Royce can create leverage against the Rockets is because of his contract, and what is owed to him in the current circumstance. This would have NEVER happened had Royce been drafted in the second round with a non-guaranteed contract.

7. dobro1229

What radio station is this?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The more I hear from this fellow, who finds it impossible to shut up, the more I dislike him. His ego knows no bounds. Here he is talking about himself (naturally) and his performance in the NCAA tournament last year, thanks to the post from J.R.: "I'm the best player in the country. I knew that at the time. I abused their whole team all game" (talking about Kentucky). White's freakin' mouth has a motor that won't quit. I'm ready for his motor mouth to blow a gasket and quit running, before we all blow our gaskets here.

I know he has "mental issues," but I think we need to add egomaniac to the list. Here's the definition (from wikipedia, but it looks accurate to me) of egomania:

Egomania is an obsessive preoccupation with one's self and applies to someone who follows their own ungoverned impulses and is possessed by delusions of personal greatness and feels a lack of appreciation. Someone suffering from this extreme egocentric focus is an egomaniac. The condition is psychologically normal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egomania

That bit I bolded was something I found intriguing. Make of it what you will.

#208 Deckard, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. bleedrockets

bleedrockets Rookie

Morey is contractlly obligated to 790 not that talking head 610 so what is Nick Wright talking about

10. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

610 AM

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Morey will not comment much on Royce White. He will not do anything that could damage the Rockets' legal case.

12. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

When Royce describes his anxiety it sounds more like he's just restless from not working or having any responsibility in his life.

13. Dei

Dei Member

This is the one time I honestly wish Battier was still with us. He would've been the guy who could've prevented this from happening. And he's a better speaker than Royce.

14. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

"will you be watching the royce white interview aring tinight on hbo" lmao Harden wanted to say hell no lol and its true nobody is worried about this clown, harden is trying to win some championships:grin:

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Harden sounds like a nice, intelligent person.

Can't say the same about Royce White.

16. dobro1229

The Mavs were the same way last year with the Lamar Odom situation for months, and then one day Rick Carlisle came onto the radio in a controlled fashion and laid everything out there to the public for consumption. It was truly compelling radio.

Im not expecting Morey to come out and flame Royce, but I wouldn't be incredibly surprised if at some point the Rockets stick up for themselves publicly and release information that will make Royce look like a complete idiot.

A day after two self glorifying staged interviews with Royce on the national stage, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point when its appropriate Morey releases very power comments that they are able to back up.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I sure hope you're right. I'd love to see that happen.

18. dobro1229

Not sure its going to happen any time soon, but at some point you know they will defend themselves publicly when its appropriate. However, after the release of the 5 page letter, and 2 self promoting national campaigns, the Rockets have to be ready to say something at some point to shed some light on their side of things in a controlled environment.

19. acjeitherocket

any1 got a link to the full vid???

20. acjeitherocket