1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White is the Man!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nachobar, Jul 17, 2012.

?

Do you like Royce White?

1. Yes

194 vote(s)
    85.1%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    3.5%
  3. Not Sure

26 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

This is something that a lot of people don't get. When a team has a player like Royce White he makes highlights not by dunking or scoring but with his passing ability it is definitely infectious. Summer league tends to be a lot of individual play but there were times when the ball was just flying around the court for the team and it usually started with Royce. I absolutely love the guys attitude. When he was interviewed at the half of one of the games he said, "I want to make the other players better."

2. kinein

kinein Member

Really think he is a keeper - his attitude you can't coach. His support of his teammates, and how it just came natural for him to do and say what he has ~ you can't coach that - its part of his character his dna. Liking him a lot.

3. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

At least he didn't say "Royce White is the next Rodman...:)

4. roxxy

roxxy Member

I love that kind of attitude. I have always been a fan of young guys. I enjoy watching players on many NBA teams once they first step into the league and watching them grow and develop over the years. Did the same for KD Russel and Harden.

1 person likes this.
  5. cyclONEnation

cyclONEnation Member

The more Royce succeeds, the more we succeed. We gave him his shot, now he has to repay us. I'm only hoping he can get some PT this year. Were likely to have another 1st round/lottery pick in the '13 draft, so if neither pans out, people may not want to come to ISU.

6. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Without any jumpsuit, can't see him ever getting PT. sorry, my opinion

7. cyclONEnation

cyclONEnation Member

You do realize he only drove to Louisville to play UCONN and UK, and also @Mizzou and @Kansas. Unless you count the @Drake game, which is 30 minutes away from Ames. He flew to all the other games.

8. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

everyone on the team gets a jumpsuit.......and might I add they're pretty sweet

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hmmm, thats funny. A Royce White thread without a Royce White Highlight video?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4i8fVR10UgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KDYAxyPcNQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fixed.;)

10. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

It's hard to score in the NBA, that's why I can't us losing Lamb in a deal. White gives his teammates easy buckets and will always encourage them to cut to the hoop. You have to get some easy baskets every game. Also, I didn't thing he could jump high because he seemed to lay it up a lot, but in the last game, he crossed that one guy up, drove the lane, and threw it down hard. I like him.

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, I rewatched a few summer league games tonight and came to post basically the same sentiments I see earlier in this thread. Love how White plays the game but unsure of how he can utilize those skills without developing some above average NBA skills in the mid range/finishing at the basket. NBA defenses will play the pass on Royce and force him to aggressively look for his shot. Until he is able to convert mid range jumpers and in the paint more consistently we aren't going to see the assist machine he could be.

I also felt that he got a lot of hustle and uncontested boards, but I didn't really see him secure many rebounds in traffic or while blocking out another player. That worries me a bit about his ability to play meaningful minutes as a pro. Finally, I'm a little worried about Royce's weight too. The guy is likely going to have to watch himself. At 260+ now, he looks to be in decent but not great shape. If he get's any bigger at all it's also going to limit his effectiveness. I can see him being a very strong guy, but the fact is in the modern game you get more use out of speed than strength.

Again, I really like White - he has exceptional passing skills & handles for a big and seems to have a high basketball IQ but I got my doubts that those skills alone will put him in the rotation.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The "rotation" is gone. He has to play. In either case.

13. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Pretty good analysis .. I don't really see him being effective without a better offensive game.Seemed like he missed a lot of uncontested layups right under the basket .. he really needs to lose weight and work on finishing .. I really love the things he does and hope he is taking SL as a lesson in what he needs to improve.Dude could either turn out an exceptional player or get lost in the mix .. not sure if a middle ground exists for him.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

He looks like a future roleplayer/sparkplug off the bench. Not a bad piece but I'm not seeing the upside given his lack of size and lack of a jump shot, post moves, etc. Most of his offensive value comes from running the floor and passing, and that does not a starter make.

15. David Stern

David Stern Member

I believe you meant to say jump shot and autocorrect caused the Freudian slip?

16. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

What is all this talk that he needs to lose weight?

The guy can bench more than anyone I've ever heard of. 185x29.

He's not fat.

17. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Are you kidding Me?!?

This guy is breaking down the defense making the opponent LOOK like a summer league team. This guy has the eye, the eye, to facilitate and score; of course could develop a stringer jump shot and post moves.

But wow point foward!!! This guy screams

18. KB9

KB9 Member

love him for what he did there, defending Zo-zo (LOL), but also like his style of play, passing and all that, new Barkley? maybe so...

19. nickn563

nickn563 New Member

Royce's pass is very effective when ball is in transition, not half-court set up so having mid-range is nice but not essential. I would prefer he develops some post moves first not mid-range. Remember Magic, he did not have mid-range skill until years later.
    With Royce and our new rookies, I picture Rockets will have many games like the NBA final Lakers vs.76ers when Kareem was out and Magic played center. Man, the Lakers transition ball gassed out the entire 76ers

20. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I've seen him listed at 270 on draft boards,that's pretty heavy .. He just didn't seem very explosive around the bucket and short armed several point blank attempts ..