1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White Interview on Grantland

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VBG, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is where Royce really loses me:

Sorry, Royce, but you have no ground to stand on here.

If I am unable to do my job because of the very nature of the job, then I have to look elsewhere for work. Hell, Royce, you do have an offer from the Globetrotters to live an easy-going and comfortable lifestyle, so it's not like it's this or living on the streets.

He talks of discrimination. But of course, he isn't against discrimination itself - surely he discriminates when it comes to lending money to people, sleeping with women, choosing a place to eat out at - so it's not that he's agaisnt discrimination in and of itself. He's just seeking to make the mentally ill - which, let's not forget, can include people who are simply stressed out - achieve a priviledged status.

Perhaps if you were an ailing older woman raising 5 grandkids some politician would trumpet your cause and and pass "Royce's Law" so as to garner support for a re-election campaign, but as a 21 year old who would be a millionaire for simply playing basketball, you will go nowhere with this.

In his defense, he could just be an ignorant 21 year old. But it's looking more like megalomania each time he speaks.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I think Royce is right the NBA should have a mental health policy. They should have reasonable accomodation and protocols. The only problem is that such a policy would likely still leave him on the outside looking in. But, there could be other ballers out there who have mental illnesses that can be accomodated if the NBA takes the time to draft a reasonable policy.

3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Causal Determinism has more clout than true Free Will.

But choice, whether it's an illusion or not, has to prevail for a society (or an individual) to function.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

if an NFL player was saying the same thing royce is he would be laughed out of the league

5. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

Royce White is not even an NBA player at the very moment ...

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

He's still talking huh? Rockets are apparently paying him for his media interviews. Nice going Houston.

What was the exact reason again they delayed or pushed his return date back to the 11th of February? Because the Vipers are on a road trip? :rolleyes:

#86 J.R., Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  7. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NBA should respect mental health needs. That is both reasonable and not in question. The question is what would the protocol and accommodations look like? White keeps making demands but, at least in public, offers no specifics, the part that really matters. From what I understand, no one disagrees that policies should be in place. The specifics (private transportation, doctors, permanent game-to-game injury status, etc.) are where White's train goes off the rails.

Mental health/mental toughness is a requirement to succeed in the league just as much as physical health/conditioning. If a player doesn't have it, then they just can't make it. Why would a team spend valuable resources and a roster spot treating Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, or Sam Bowie, if those guys may never be able to handle the rigors of an NBA season or be depended upon on a game to game basis? It doesn't make sense. Same thing goes for mental/brain issues. If you haven't the capacity for doing the job, and "protocol" and treatment cannot get you into a reliable state, then tough. Find a job you can do.

At the very least, have policies in place to intervene when a player's mental health is deteriorating as with the long collapse of Eddie Griffin.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The doc should see how he does without Prozac.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

Wrong! The search for power corrupts. Money is a tool. There are power struggles even if money is not involved, such as authority in families, religions and government. Power corrupts. Everything else is a tool. Royce White is a very misguided, immature and ignorant young man. He fears because he has anxiety but he is manipulating facts to gain power. There is a very real war against Capitalism taking place across the world and it has been going on since the early1900's. It is a fight for power between egomaniacs who steer toward Communism and independent, free thinkers (liberals - who are capitalists, not the wolves in sheeps clothing who call them selves liberal but want the government to run everything.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Summary of Royce's POV:

1. Life is stressful.
    2. I am scared of life.
    3. Accommodate me.
    4. If you think I am wrong, you are ignorant.

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

He does't seem to be motivated to play though. He's singularly focused at the moment.

Maybe when he is motivated to play basketball he can focus all that energy onto the court.

And thats probably the only break I give him, him being able to use his issues to gain an advantage on the court like how he said he can see things before everyone else because of the way his brain works. Great. When that happens and it's successful, fine, 3 cheers for Royce.

But until its obvious he's seen the basketball light...

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

There is no war against capitalism -- for someone to look at who controls the power in this world and say there is a war on capitalism means that person has joined the ranks of the 26% of adults who suffer from mental illness.

It is not all bad news though, the good news is that Royce is fighting hard for your rights.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I should have said, "I could care less what White has to say in this interview!"

:-D-

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think he was referring to the fact that you said "you could care less" instead of saying "you could NOT care less." If you COULD care less, then why don't you? ;)

15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If I never see or hear the word 'protocol' again, it will be too soon.

Screw this guy and his dumbass crusade.

1 person likes this.
  16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Some of his points make sense other don't. He reaches to make analogies that really don't make sense. The 98% struggling to obtain wealth is not true, because there are a group in that 98% that is living fairly stress free. He also reaches trying to assign mental illness to 98% of the population based on that assumption. Royce is that smart dude that wears the Michael Jackson Thriller jacket to church every Sunday.

1 person likes this.
  17. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

So being poor or of average income causes stress, or is symptomatic of the super rich imposing stress on those who can't reach their level, and this stress is a mental illness. I wonder how some of the rich, crazy people I know got infected. Not to mention Royce White himself....

I'm so confused. Then again, I'm probably mentally ill and just haven't been diagnosed yet. Stupid doctors.... I need some protocols up in this b!tch!

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's practicing very little.

#regress

19. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy is such a fraud.

If he was such a humanitarian, he could use his wealth and fame to start a foundation to help out the mentally ill homeless that have no resources to #bewell, but instead he just talks.....and talks.....and talks.

I am tired of seeing this dude's face.

20. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

Two thumbs sideways!