1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White in serious play for the Rockets at 14 and 16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 21, 2012.

1. QazQay

QazQay Member

Parsons?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Goodbye Marcus Morris.

DD

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I understand BPA but I still do not understand taking White. We have 3 SF's and 3 PF's on the roster next season. Where would he get any PT? Do we really need another Morris situation with everyone clamoring for White to get PT?

4. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Bingo. If we do draft him, we are picking up Marquis Teague and Royce White with Boston's draft picks. Logically this means we have a tentative deal with Boston under the table if the guys the Rockets really covet do not fall to them, i.e. Dwight Howard does not get traded here.

This really makes no sense because Orlando JUST hired their GM last night, and I doubt Morey has had an opportunity to make any offers for him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Magic">#Magic</a> have offered their GM job to 30-year-old <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Thunder">#Thunder</a> exec Rob Hennigan, who is in contract talks with the team, sources confirm.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/215569192949268480" data-datetime="2012-06-20T22:17:55+00:00">June 20, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wonder if this deal would be FOR Orlando. I mean, Orlando's cupboards will be pretty bare this offseason if Dwight is traded:

Davis, J-Rich, Duhon, Q-Rich and some guy named Harper. Anderson is RA, Reddick has non-guaranteed contract, Nelson and Clark both have player options (Nelson was leaning towards leaving). That is a depleted roster with only Starting 2 and 4 plus Backups at 1, 3, 4 and 5. Orlando will need a Starting 1, 3 and 5, plus upgrades to the backup squad.

Hypothetically, The Magic could field a team of:
    Lowry/Teague(#22)/Duhon
    Martin/JRich
    Royce(#21)/Q-Rich
    Scola/Davis
    Anderson/Leonard(#14)/Harper

That would leave us with possibly:
    Dragic/Fortson
    Lee/Bud
    Parsons/Morris/Simpson
    Motie/Patterson
    Howard/Camby

With Howard, we are better off. Are we making the playoffs? Yes.

5. rockets11champs

White at 14 and Teague at 16???

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gotta clean out the cupboards if we're aiming for a better-passing version of Chuck Hayes (who was actually getting really good in that facet of his game, but that's water under the bridge).

I'd be willing to take a flier on Royce White. As he said at the combine, "I do a lot of things well, nothing great, gotta work on etc etc."

Awesome passer.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is Carl Herrera multiple people, or simple an autobot, scanning the board at all times and programmed to respond asap with as witty a comment as possible??

LOL, 14 and 16.

I'm not a huge fan of White, because feel his upside is limited to a Boris Diaw type. But at 14 or 16, Boris Diaw would be great value, so I wouldn't hate the selection, I'd just rather they take a bigger risk again, even though Morris didn't work out, or trade back or up.

8. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Royce White - More advanced Ron Artest

1 person likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that's actually the best comparison of current NBA player i can think of, and even that is not truly representative of the diverse skill-set Royce White has. He's one of a kind, the good and the bad. Certainly worth the risk of a mid-round pick.

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

None of our SFs or PFs has a handle and attacks the rim like he does. I think he could be the type of player that gets to the FT line often. He def has some things he needs to work on but that is what you expect at picks 14 and 16. He can develop a outside shot and better FT shooting. How many bigs do we have that can get the rebound and then push the break? I would like to have that on my team. Should be a intersting draft next week. As usual, im sure whomever we pick people on this site will not agree with it.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I know that passing is supposed to be a Royce White strength but to think he would be as good as Hayes might be a reach IMO. Chuck is one of the better passing big men in the league IMO. Not saying it won't happen but i definitely respect Chucks passing skill.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Chuck really developed his passing skill under Adelman, but White is pretty good already. He's had high turnover issue which may not be as widely recognized as his passing skill though. Worth a late first round pick.

13. dmcray95

dmcray95 Member

Agree

Agree

14. dmcray95

dmcray95 Member

Really Chuck Hayes?? Don't remember Chuck with a crossover from the free-throw line and dunk. Chuck couldn't palm the ball which limited his offense in the lane.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What does any of that have to do with his passing skills?

16. dmcray95

dmcray95 Member

Replied to wrong message. My bad

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

if we end up with white and teague this draft im goin to be pi#@!& because im so excited for the draft and to end up with these to smh

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Jamal Mashburn 2.0?

19. amaru

amaru Member

Hell yea I'm in!!! :)

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

55% :p

Not much better. Not sure how you can be in the NBA and only hit about half of your FREE throws.