1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White in serious play for the Rockets at 14 and 16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sps0J1jgses" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those that don't know who he is...

2. Asian Sensation

I'd probably take him at 14 as well because I'd be pissed off to no end if Philly nabbed him at 15. I don't think they would considering they have Iggy and Thaddeus and Sam Young but you never know.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I agree with Carl. This team is in no place to be drafting by need. Always take the best player available. Plus, there won't be any center worth picking up by the time the Rockets are on the clock.

tl;dr: It's not time.

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z9JXQuPPSl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If he's scared of airplanes, he'd definitely gonna be scared of rockets

6. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Can he shoot?

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Doesnt he have anxiety and character issues?

8. TheWhopper

TheWhopper Member

His body is obviously ready for the NBA. His hands were 9.5 inches long and 11.5 inches wide...the biggest by far of everyone in the draft, centers included

His game seems ready for the NBA small forward position. Those hands + his handles get him to the rim and allow him to finish strong....very strong.

I like that the "riskiness" of the pick doesn't include his character and his game - only his anxiety disorder.

I think drugs + therapy can keep that anxiety in check enough for him to realize his upside.

I'd have no problem using 14 on him.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yes to therapy but do you want an athlete drugged the whole time?

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

His character seems fine, however his size and body weight are nothing to write home about. His passing skills for a 'big' is definitely something we can use but where's the playing time to develop him going to come from?

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

How's his lateral movement? Can he guard the 3 position in the NBA?

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Larry Johnson written all over him, with better handles. I just dont see us picking him they always pick someone we never even suspect.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Here's a nice video scouting report that sums up White's strengths and weaknesses:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/usQJQi3IiE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. The Rockets should have more info on Royce White than most team out there. Royce White's college coach, Fred Hoiberg, is a good friend of Kevin McHale. Hoiberg played for Kevin McHale at the end of his career and was the heir apparent to succeed McHale.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5195185&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

14. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

since hes around 270lbs i think hes best suited to play the 4. i wish he was more of a dominant rebounder though. i hear a lot of talk about his strength, but it doesnt show in his rebounding. i feel as if every 4 in the ncaa averages about 9rebs, where he averaged 9.2. i think his jumpshot and free throw shooting can improve over time.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

16. Sym0™

Sym0™ Member

Plays a lot like, a fit Boris Diaw. I liked fit Boris Diaw. I like Royce. Saw his interviews; he seemed very well spoken, mentioned that he even likes to write. Man to Man D seems a bit suspect, as well as zone rotations. Would rather rockets draft someone else, in terms of addressing needs, but this dude can play and I wouldn't be overly unhappy if Morey took him.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Doubt Scola is a Rocket. Morris is a SF, Smith is a 5.
    Royce White is a stud.

18. cod

cod Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Where is this guy gonna get playing time? we're stacked at the forward positions.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I like the high risk/reward players (probably why I like PJIII). I think RW can be grabbed later in the first round, so using a 14 or 16 pick on him might be pointless.

For someone that's not a center, his FT% is god awful, under 50%! I just cant wrap my head around a SF shooting that bad and being a success.

He also is turnover prone, almost 4 per game.

Like I said, I like his upside, but I think taking him at 16 might be a little early.