1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White....has got to go unfortunately............

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by C1UTCH-C1TY, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He looks lost because he's not being given the ball. The way you make a player like Royce look good is give him the ball and let him run the show.

Has he "earned" it? Absolutely not. But that's not what it's about. It's about doing what is best for the Rox organization.

We're gonna have to move some of these kids. Because they all aren't going to pan out. Right now......TJones probably has more trade value than any of them followed by Donuts. Whoever looks the best is who is going to bring back the best return. And we aren't going to be able to make them all look great at the same time. So, it's either trade them while they look good or keep everybody and eventually get a zero return on a couple of them because they never could crack the lineup.

We really can't afford to trade Lamb because Martin is pending UFA and is most likely to leave or be traded. We need to make one or two of these guys look great and move them with KMart in a trade at the deadline so we can have a better shot at Zeller in 13 and Wiggins in 14.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Funny stuff...

3. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

you have to go unfortunately

4. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Not saying that the anxiety issue is his sole definition of himself. I just hope his life as an NBA player develops to the point where his public persona is less about his disorder and more about his game. I really do wish the guy well. That Grantland video was moving.

I still think Royce was a great pick for the Rockets, but it's probably going to take some time before he comes into his own. People need to be patient.

5. AbrahamLincoln

lmao. Well I'm not number 1. I refuse to think of myself as a hermit so I reject at least the second part of number 2. I lurked for about 2 years on and off. Not here to troll.

I've been a fan since the 90's. I joined because I was very excited about watching the young guys play. I wanted to talk about the young draft picks and prospective trades. I found myself on this page everyday instead of just around the trade deadline or during a decent rumor of a trade. Let's not generalize too much.

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

I get where you are coming from. Agreed.

7. marothisu

marothisu Member

1) He's a project.

2) Anyone who questions why the Rockets would have drafted him obviously had never seen him play in college. He dominated in college, led ISU in every major statistical category, and also pretty much owned Anthony Davis, Terrence Jones, and Michael Kidd Gilchrist in the NCAA tournament game.

3) You must be a really one dimensional person to think that someone who tweets on their own time must not be focused on something else. There are actually people out there who do more than watch Sportscenter, read ESPN.com, and watch sports 24/7 and nothing else everyday. Royce is not one dimensional. You'd have a point if he was tweeting during practice or a game/scrimmage. Until then? Just no.

4) Yeah, Royce has a fear of flying, but it didn't stop him during college. Oh yeah, he flew to Italy and back with his team too. He hates to fly, but it's not like he absolutely will not do it.

5) He never let his anxiety disorder affect his performance on the court. By the way, he hit a game winning shot against Kansas State...which was a jumper, something he's not good at. He was pretty clutch in a number of games for ISU down the stretch with thousands watching.

Points 2-5 especially, if you aren't familiar with these 100%, then you have no room to talk about them.

That being said, he's a project. He has the ability to be very good, if you utilize him the right way. And nothing against this, but I am originally from Minnesota. McHale was a great player, and also being a TWolves fan, he basically ruined our franchise for a handful of years. I've never been a fan of him or his coaching, or anything basketball related that's not him actually playing.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know if he'll be good or not....but I know that you don't spend a draft pick on a guy like this and then just decide it's time for him to leave before he ever plays a regular season game.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For all out tanking to get great picks in 13 and 14, your comments make sense. But despite the appearance of it, this is NOT what Les is doing. All these assets were not to tank with, they were to get Dwight with. Now that that fiasco is over, we are not sending Jones or Dmo anywhere unless its to acquire a superstar. Certainly not for future picks or to pad our loss record.

Whether its fair or not, or in the best interests of the team (that depends on whether we are truly tanking or not), White isnt going to get fed the ball and get lots of minutes (taking minutes from others that have so far surpassed his efforts easily). Unfortunately for him, he shot himself in the foot by missing the first week of practice and now cant catch up. We have only one more pre-season game left and I would wager that McHale is going to play the guys who seem rotation bound in that final game. And that doesnt look like White. This is a bit reminiscent of last year with Morris whereby there were all these expectations but at the end of the day, he just wasnt ready (and looked it). Ditto for White. While I admit he has had very few minutes to prove himself, he hasnt done anything with the ones he has gotten. Others have, and those guys, Jones in particular look ready to contribute now, which is what we need with the season opener looming.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Quick piggyback thought on this....

you can see Jones' worth immediately. When he's on the floor at the same time as Asik, the frontcourt defense is really good.

White is a project. It's a longer term deal. The question is whether the Rockets decide he isn't worth the effort over the long term.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We are praising Jones because it's extremely impressive for a rookie to come in looking as capable as he has. But it isn't expected.

Many productive NBA players, including polished veteran pros like Luis Scola, took the better part of a season or more to adjust and adapt to the NBA game. It's far too early to give up on any of the rookies.

1 person likes this.
  12. alethios

alethios Member

Marcus Morris finally accepted that it was in his best interest and the team's to spend time developing in the DL and over the summer when his contribution was hampered by inconsistency and lack of ability to fit into the system developed by the coaching staff. Morris wasn't shipped out after he started stinking up the place, because his intrinsic value was still recognized, ala diamond in the rough. So to will Royce be able to develop into a consistent player and be able to contribute, just not right away.

13. FanOnGessner

FanOnGessner Member

I agree. I say let him play in The D League this season and see how he plays. Not a fan of him tbh... And I didn't like him that much at ISU either.. Overrated IMO. Plus he just has too much damn baggage.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Okay I'm gonna go ahead and say it....

"It's preseason idiot"

He was the 16th pick in the draft. He's a rookie. He's yet to play a regular season game. Give the man a freaking chance.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He will, in D league.

16. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

In short, Royce hasn't earned playing time. By his own admission, he has played poorly. The other guys fighting for playing time have played better. If other guys are going to be playing ahead of Royce, I would rather see him getting some burn down in RVG.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Bryce Drew was awesome in college too.

Having said that, the thing we need to remember about White is that he's a guy who a team revolves around. Does anyone seriously think he won't be off to the D-League to start the season? In fact he might play there for a large part of the season, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player. It might be that he gets 'seasoned' down there and then we run the team through him in the last month to see how it goes at NBA level?

Even if he plays D-League all season long, to suggest that there's no roster spot for a first round draft pick is more than stupid! If the OP could please quote one (1) example of a first round draft pick being cut prior to the start of the season??

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The thing you don't really understand is that you don't know anything about his game yet. He does have a post game but he just needs to get comfortable. The coaches know him more and sees him in practice plenty of times. You only saw him in a few games with sparing minutes and decided to come up with the conclusion about him.

Royce is a unique player and the coaches are still trying to figure out what is the best way to utilize his skills. Plus, as you said it, its only preseason and he only had a few games under his belt. On top of that, he's still a rookie so you shouldn't expect much out of a rookie in his first preseason campaign.

There are plenty of great players in the past that did not play well or struggled mightily in their first preseason campaign. You can't use this few first games of his and all of a sudden make an assumption about him. If you know basketball, then you should know that it takes 2-3 years for a player to really play to his potential, not a few preseason games.

You can make this thread at the end of the season or next season, but not a few games in when he only played few minutes each game.

19. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I CAN BLOCK PEOPLE?! :eek: Man, I wish I knew this forever ago

20. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

Exactly what I am thinking. White's game is very unique. He has potential but he has a lot to learn. He isnt gonna get a chance to work on it with the Rockets.

I wouldnt be surprised if he spent the whole year in the d-league.