1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White gives an emphatic ‘hell no’ to the idea of taking part in 100 flights this year

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dragician, Jul 12, 2013.

1. TheDr34m

TheDr34m Contributing Member

Thank you Hinkie for doing us a solid. Sure you got aldemir but losing white and getting dwight not much to think about. Sam Hinkie did us and him a solid.

Don't think for a second that he wasn't helping his boy Morey out but at the same time getting aldemir in return for that solid.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He did us a biggie. Darn we can laugh about others dealing with this kind of situation. I bet Royce still thinks he is a mighty fine bb player and good human being.

3. markusbrutus

markusbrutus Member

First i am one among those who said i have anxiety disorder and it is diagnosed properly by a doctor. Mine is even worse because i have attacks even just from watching a movie in the theatre. The worse attack i experienced my bp shot up to 200/100, my heart was pounding, and i couldnt breathe.

I am still bothered by it from time to time but i manage and try to live a normal life. And that's why i was frustrated with royce because i managed to lessen the effects of the attacks, why couldnt he?

And no i dont hate white. I was frustrated because the dude got talent.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You come off as just as judgmental as the most strident White critics.

I'll stand by my posts on the topic. I don't hate White at all. But for one, no his life is not "more important" :)confused:) than anyone else's, and yes, he could have handled this much, much better, no matter the severity of his disorder.

Anxiety disorder does not typically manifest itself with narcissistic behavior in public. But what do I know? Best wishes to him and to you.

5. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

funny how the rockets drafted him so high

6. conquistador#11

seems like yesterday royce touched our hearts with that documentary of him on draft night. oh my how things change. he was a royce white in sheep's clothing.

7. MonKing

MonKing Member

Lots of different opinions on what White is: He's a fighter for the cause of mental health issues. He's a fraud. He's a rare basketball talent. He's a spoiled child. But there is one thing we can all agree Royce White is - he is GONE!!!

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I still remember a year ago, summer league, when White stood up for Goran Dragic's brother (gave him the name "Zo-Zo"); He told the guy he could meet him outside. I thought he was going to be a Houston favorite.. oops.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You come across much more intelligent here than on Twitter, Royce.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have to agree. To me, this is the crux of the whole issue. We can sit here and debate one anothers' credentials about anxiety, but it seems clear that Royce is using the anxiety label as compartmentalization to deal with his poor actions.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wrote this before so I'll post it again re:White.

1 person likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

guess it was good not to have watched that documentary :cool:

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Dude not only has a problem with anxiety disorder but low IQ as well. Gets traded to a new team that might give him fresh start in his brief NBA career and the first thing he says is "Hell No, I'm not flying". Pretty r****ded imo.

Glad the deal is final. He's Philly's problem now and I hope I never see another Royce White thread again.

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

[​IMG]

15. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Sorry, but you cannot generalize. You don't know what some of us are going through at various stages of our life. Not everyone on this board is a 15y old with nothing to do in his spare time.

I'd like to see him in a situation I and few others were not long time ago - on verge of losing a job while having two or three kids, paying mortgage etc. If he doesn't pan out, he still has few millions on his bank account and can do whatever he feels like. If me or you or any "normal" person loses their job, it's a matter of survival - not just mine, but my kids' too.

So don't tell me he's been put under great pressure...maybe in his mind, yes, but there exist far more dire situations than his.

1 person likes this.
  16. SemisolidSnake

I do not know as much about this situation as many here, but, from what I do know, he sounds like he's a spoiled brat first and foremost, regardless of the severity of his condition. Even if his anxiety is really that bad (and who can even tell with as smoke as he's blown about it), his constant refusals to do just about anything and ever present moaning on Twitter are just indefensible.

Just ask yourself: if Asik or Lin or anyone else on this team had a problem like this, would they act this way? Of course, they wouldn't. They'd seek constant therapy, follow their doctors' advice, take the steps necessary to help their condition, and most importantly keep it to themselves while working on their issues. They'd be appreciative of the Rockets' accommodations and do their best to be a team player. The rest our team (and most people in general) have a certain amount of integrity. At his core, White clearly has none. He would be a poison for any team if he had no anxiety at all.

Also, as has also been pointed out, many jobs simply require certain attributes for you to do them. Period. You can't be a fighter pilot if you have bad eyes. It doesn't matter if that's all you've ever wanted to be. Being an NBA player requires you to fly constantly. The country is simply too big to drive everywhere in the time allotted in NBA schedules. His condition may be difficult, but it is manageable, as thousands, if not millions, of people around the world without million-dollar contracts can confirm. Royce doesn't want to play basketball in the NBA; he simply wants to earn an NBA salary. He won't be soon, and he'll go bankrupt quickly, but don't be surprised if we keep hearing from him and his lawyers for years to come.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

All well and good. Yes people need to be more aware. But the point still is

Royce has NOT EVEN SHOWN ANY BIT OF RECOVERY EFFORT to his publicized problem. NONE

All he's done is BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS. He's slamming the team name and image. He's even calling out other doctors than his own. Because he views the team doctor as an extended arm of corporate corruption of self interest or something. Was it not evidentally selfsish that royce wanted his own doctor to supercede all organizational decisions? As though they were gonna prevent him from seeing his own doctor anyway.

Royce could eeeaasily be showing content of THERAPY sessions hes undergoing. To inspire others to do the same. (And of course get himself some nice pub) BUT NOPE, just straight complaining about everyone elses lack of accomodations to him. And he himself saying its not even about the flights, that its just a matter of principles.

The main principle is he should be proactively busting his butt to be a player in the league. Like everyone else. The pressure IS on ROYCE. Instead of him filling up his own head of being some pseudo civil rights leader. Theres examples even in this thread of people who simply take the meds and any therapy at their disposal. Royce has done none of that. Just a bad example

#97 Shroopy2, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  18. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

How long before Philly fans freak out? New poll? Over/under bets?

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Some players get career ending injuries. They can't recover, and they're out of the league.

And at this point it's clear Royce has a career ending anxiety disorder. He can't overcome it. He's not fit to be an NBA player.