1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White and the Eddie Griffin Comparrison

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeasy713, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

For those who see where I’m going (you don’t have to read my ramblings, just answer this…

DO YOU SEE A COMPARISSON TO EDDIE GRIFFIN IN ROYCE WHITE?

I haven’t created a thread since my first attempt but I’m desperate to know if anyone else can see the resemblance in Royce White that we went through with Eddie Griffin. I’m glad wasn’t placed in the same situation and was aware of his mental health issue, that’s the only reason my concern isn’t higher. Although I will contest that Royce should take a look at how Eddie’s career spiraled out of control and led to his untimely death.

I’ll start by looking at how they compare:
    - Eddie Griffin was a 7th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft / Royce White 16th overall (it’s been noted that had he not been forthcoming about his illness he could have been a top 10 pick)
    - Both played for relatively small programs Seton Hall/Iowa State
    - High level of skill/potential in both
    - Mental issues (Anxiety/Alcoholism)

Other than that the similarities are slim but the underlying details of each are what draws me to make this comparison. Imagine had Royce been quite about his issue and been forced to start on this team as the new rookie hero that we expected Eddie to be. I could see him following that path of missing games and rifts with teammates and coaches. Maybe even the alcohol as well had he not known it was a medical mental issue but just him not understanding what was going on. I still believe that Eddie had a mental illness issue that led to alcoholism. How would he have performed had he been diagnosed with a mental issue?

Okay back to what I’m asking… got a little sidetracked. I honestly meant to just post the question and debate it in the stream.

HOW else could we go from this
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/eddie-griffin
    AND THIS
    http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=114
    TO THIS
    http://www.thedreamshake.com/2012/9...-day-for-the-rockets-it-must-be-eddie-griffin
    AND Back again with this
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...-issues-in-royce-white-conflict-with-rockets/
    and this
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-talk-royce-white-out-of-leaving-the-nba-game

2. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

This is what I posted on Bleacher Report in response to an article

HOUSTON LET'S NOT ACT UNFAMILIAR, him walking away safely isn't the worst thing that could happen. Simply losing him as an asset now would stand well so long as the end result is better than a former 7th overall pick named Eddie Griffin who had issues with alcoholism. He ran himself out of the league and died in Houston before heading overseas. I know comparing him to White will be considered a stretch but I think he had deeper mental issues (which led to character questions). Different front office combating the same problem... how to handle a troubled kid. How patient do the Rockets brass has to be? EXTREMELY like two/three year plan, patience. How willing will White have to be to work through his issues? Much more than he's letting on. D-League would benefit him more than any of the other rookies as it cold provide a better springboard than just diving headfirst into an 82 game season filled with traveling, back to back games, and media scrutiny of almost every move.

3. Metta

Metta Member

I think I kind of see where you're at with this, but at the same time, I don't know what you expect any of us to add.

Everyone has demons and everyone deals w/their demons in a different way. It can't be debated or summed up on a message board. The end.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Let's stop with the comparison. Eddie's personality was never like Royce's....royce has issues, but he's clearly motivated by something., which is very important in life. Eddie was just going through the motions and probably didn't feel like he had anything to live for. Plus alcohol takes it to a whole other level.

Not the same. I've been critical of Royce's actions, but it's unfair to paint him as another EG.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wonder if Eddie would have received the same kind of tabloid-esque speculation and wild ambivalence from Rockets fans had the GARM been as large and well developed as 2012. Well, obviously yes.

However don't mistake me as having sympathy for Royce - as you point out, he is aware of his condition and we were too. The issue I have with Royce is that there is an apparent refusal to make any progress; it's almost as if he views progress as an invasion by the Rockets on his privacy.

Anyway, the rest of my thoughts are in the Royce thread with 3000 posts. I just wanted to highlight that they will never be the same because Royce will either find success, or be the sole reason for not finding success. He's not chained to a demon like alcoholism; his fate is in his hands.

6. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

Not trying to cast him in that light but more reflecting each of their issues under the same light. What I'm getting at is what if Eddie had been diagnose with a mental illness or had White not been how similar would their stories be. I think closer than many would guess

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Eddie was really really quiet according to all the stories I read. Total opposite of White. A Griffin twitter feed would probably take 2 years to rack up the volumn of tweets that White put out in one day.

So, at least Royce is talking about his problems. Hopefully he won't die from suicide.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Again, Royce has a passion for life. He likes to do several things. You can clearly see it in his face when he speaks. Eddie was never even close to that. If eddie had been diagnosed, he probably would have still been in trouble because he was quiet, probably angry, and wouldn't really open up. Remember he went to rehab for alcohol, so technically he was "diagnosed" as alcoholic and sent to get help, yet he still died from driving drunk later on.

If royce hadnt been diagnosed, he probably would have never become famous or wealthy, but he'd probably be loving life somewhere doing something he loved. The guy finds joy in too many things to go down the same path.

9. MKL

MKL Member

Wow, IBTL here.

Low blow, even I won't touch this.

10. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

I see more Ricky Williams than Anything to be honest.

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Well let's just hope he doesn't take the same tragic path.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Whatever the case, alcoholism is definitely more fan friendly than whatever it is Royce has. At least, with alcoholism, you have an idea what's wrong.

13. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

Point taken. I've been in the Army for 15 years and have seen two suicides from people I work with on a daily. What they showed to the public was a far cry to what they live behind closed doors. Not saying this is the case with Royce but I won't say I know what either him or Eddie go through on a daily basis. What I can say is that I seen the pick of Royce's kid on his twitter post and that alone may prove to be enough motivation for him to do what's healthy for him. True they don't share similar personalities but I can compare their level of talent and their short careers as Royce seems to be burning the candle on both ends of his career already. Out of the three drafted he had the highest ceiling and was considered a steal

14. Raven

Raven Member

I think that "something" is attention.

15. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

I'm not predicting a fatal ending just that all these articles coming out reminded me of some of those we went through in the two years Eddie was playing for the Rockets

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

They have some generalities that are common in

Power forwards with good potential
    Drafted by Houston in spite of early red flags betting on "upside".
    Mental health issues holding back their maturity.
    The LEVEL of the mental health issues themselves requiring DEEP treatment more than normal.

Thats kinda it.

Past the generalities, no not in the people THEMSELVES.

Eddie Griffin was detached and withdrawn from everything socially. Probably had to be in his circle to "know" him. A backseat kinda guy, not a spokesman.

Royce White is more talkative and engaging, has leadership qualities. Is a spokesman. Just doesnt have a handle on his disorder.

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Another similarity between them: Eddie Griffin and Royce White entered the draft when Rockets had three first-rounders.

Rockets traded all late 1st rounders for Griffin. Even without Royce, we still have Jones and used Lamb to trade for an all star.

My bad, Royce, if I make you feel like a piece of 'commodity' here.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Eddie? More like Royce is Ron to the power of 10 and TWill to the power of 10. The dude is way more messed up than GAD. Sadly I truly think he should be spending full time in an "helpful environment" ie hospital.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I couldn't help but lol'ed
    This. This is a league of commodities.
    He is a human and should not be treated like a professional player.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Lookup Leon Smith. Probably more of a similar story. A budy of mine played with him in Mexico in their pro league just a couple of years ago. When I get some time today I will try to write up the stories as accurate as I can recall.