1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Williams being shopped. Should Texans be interested?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I know the Texans have been looking for a safety for what seems like eternity, so I was wondering if they should give him a shot? He's still 28 and he wants to get away from a 3-4 defense.

Fox sports

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Wait till they release him, then I'm fine picking him up assuming he passes a physical.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Can hit, but can't cover. I'll pass.

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

What happened to this dude? I don't follow pro football as much as college, but didnt he used to be a pro-bowler?

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Like any all-star game, it's all about popularity and Roy was dishing out huge hits that made him a fan favorite. However, it wasn't long until everyone in the league figured out he couldn't cover worth anything.

We already have enough issues with our secondary IMO. The last thing we need on this team is a Safety who cannot cover.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. As said before....lacks the coverage skills needed.

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Only for a very low minimum. Old boy hasn't shown himself to be worth that much from what I have seen of him in the Cowboys line up.

8. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Doesn't he play Strong as opposed to Free? I understand all safeties need to be able to cover but the strong safety's primary job is too stop the run. He can't possibly be that bad in coverage can he?

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's kind of a shame how he's seemingly plateaud as a pro considering he was one of the best defensive players I have ever seen in college. He's been an okay pro but as others have eluded to he gets exposed on coverage plays fairly easily. He's basically a LB in a safety's body.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You haven't seen him play much have you? He cannot cover, it wasn't his m.o. coming out of college but he's really been exposed in the NFL. He's a good tackler and is good for a big hit every now and then, but that's about it.

11. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Rather have C.C Brown over Roy Williams and thats not saying much...

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wouldnt trade a 7th round pick for him...I just dont want him on the field when my team is playing defense.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A serious question for Cowboys fans: What was the reasoning behind giving such a limited player like Williams the big contract? His limitations have been on full display since he's been in the NFL. Was it the highlight hits? Did the Cowboys think his intimidation factor would overcome his glaring lack of coverage skills? Is he a great lockerroom guy? Does he have a close relationship with Jerry Jones?

Like B4L said, Roy Williams was a great college player but since the NFL operates at a higher speed and skill level, his flaws were on display from the beginning. I don't think it was hard to see he was going to plateau early in his career.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Abso-freaking-lutely NO! He's a sooner, a cowboy, and, most importantly, he sucks. I'm not sure it actually gets worse than that.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Williams used to be pretty quick when he was younger, which made up for some of his terrible pass coverage skills.

Now that he's getting slower it's painfully obvious he can't find the ball.

He can still blow people up, but putting him in guarantees at least one home run ball per game on our D... no thanks

16. Republic

Republic Member

I don't really know too many SS's in the league who are great 1 on 1 cover men. It isn't their primary role. Their job is to flop between the tight end (their primary cover target) and assisting with stopping the running game.

Roy Williams in this capacity is great, and perhaps still one of the best in the league. He is NOT a shutdown corner. It seems you people are comparing apples to oranges in here. If you look at his position, consider his position, and compare him to others at his position, he's one of the top players. If you take him out of position and compare him to shutdown corners, he sucks (almost all safetys would). But that type of comparison makes no sense. This would be like evaluating free safeties on their ability to stop the run.

/shrug

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm surprised the Boys never tried him at LB as that is the only position I would give a look.

18. Republic

Republic Member

Because he's one of the stop strong safeties in the game. If the Dallas secondary is healthy and Roy plays his natural position (SS), he's one of the tops in the game. However, when guys are injured and he's shifted to playing cover, it goes without saying that's a weakness to exploit.

In my opinion, there are only a handful of safeties in the league that I consider to be great cover men. The strange thing is, none of them line up on the strong side (typically). It simply isn't the role of a strong safety to be a cover man.

Most strong safeties get burned when forced into single coverage. It isn't just Roy or the Cowboys. Look around the league.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Samething I was thinking. Seems like he would be better off at OLB than SS this point of his career.

20. Republic

Republic Member

While I agree that sometimes sounds good because of his skill set, I think it would be doomed to fail. He isn't used to the pounding linebackers take. He wouldn't last for half a season let alone an entire one.