1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox's draft picks from 1998-2002

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sun12, Dec 4, 2003.

1. sun12

sun12 Member

1st round:
    Houston: #14 Michael Dickerson
    #15: Matt Harpring, Orlando
    #17: Nesterovic, Minnesota
    #21: Ricky Davis, Charlotte
    #25: Al Harrington, Indiana

1st round:
    Houston: #2 Francis from Vancouver
    Houston: #22 K. Thomas
    Utah: #24 AK47

2nd
    Houston: #44 Tyrone Washington
    #57 Ginobilli, SA

1st round
    Houston: trade #9 Joel Przybilla to Milwaukee for #15 Jason Collier and a future first
    #15 got Jason Collier from Milwaukee
    #16, Turkoglu, Sacremento
    #17, Desmond Mason, Seattle
    #18, Q, Richardson, LAC
    #19, J. Magloire, Charlotte

2nd round
    Houston: #31 from Dallas for Dan Langhi
    #38, Eduardo Najera, Dallas from Houston

1st round
    Houston trade #13, #18, #23 for #7 EG from NJ
    #13 Jefferson
    #14 Troy Murphy
    #19 Zach Randolph
    #20 Brendan Haywood
    #24 Raul Lopez
    #25 Gerald Wallace
    #27 Jamaal Tinsley
    #28 Tony Parker

1st round
    Houston: #1 Yao Ming
    #15 Nachbar, Small forward
    #21 Qyntel Woods, Portland, small forward
    #22 Tayshaun Prince, Detroit, small forward

2nd round
    Houston: #38 Tito Maddox
    #42 Ronald Murray, Milwaukee
    #44 Lonny Baxter, Chicago

We did okay to good for 1998 and 1999. 2000 and 2001 were disasters, especially for 2001, there were many good players in that draft. Don't say we won't get Yao if not for EG, that's not true. Even if we picked Randolph instead of EG, we still won't be good because there is no certainty Randolph would produce as well as EG in his first year. Randolph only started to produce this year.

So here is my analysis about Rox's draft:

Rox emphasizes a lot on college scouting (Cat, K. Thomas, Dickerson). The draft scouting for high school kids as well as freshman is poor due to less emphasis, less money and fewer personnel? The draft scouting for international talents is poor due to less money and personnel?

Rox tried to go international on the 2002 draft. The judge is still out on Boki while Prince is already producing. I think Les and CD should invest more in good scouting. You have to spend a little bit more to know better on international talents. Dallas, Spurs and Utah are the early birds in this area.

Rox is probably in the middle of all teams with regard to scouting. The early birds are getting great talents, Nowitzki, Parker, Ginobilli, AK47. It is going to be more difficult to miss talents in Europe.

2. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

A draft topic that doesn't ramble about not getting Jefferson...nice.

I think we definitely tried to jump on the international bandwagon in 2002 just because everyone was doing it.

At least we didn't have the number one pick in 2001!

I definitely envy the Spurs scouting of Parker and Manu...

3. rockets688

rockets688 Member

This has been hashed and re-hashed to death...calling for someone up there (Clutch, haha) to do something about the TWO PAGES of new posts after last night's game...thnx...

4. PhiSlammaJamma

I think we have the opportunity to own China. We already own The Marlyand metro area and a few others. All we have to do is make the committment to scouting those regions.

5. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Reading on through all this bad picks, exept for nachbar, and yao actually made me cry.

6. houstoncart

houstoncart Member

Steve Francis wasnt a bad pick.

7. egn

egn Member

says who??

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Pretty much everyone who knows basketball.

9. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

If drafts were done knowing who would be busts, you think any of those players would have been available to the Rockets?

10. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

For the most part, our drafts have been decent, they just didn't pan out.

Besides the blatant 1998 Rashard Lewis debacle, our picks were for guys who I was excited about. Mobley/Dickerson was a pretty good rookie backcourt. Francis(though we didn't draft him)/KT was also admirable. To be honest, I liked Magloire and thought maybe the Rox would trade down to about 15 to get him. I guess they liked Collier better, but I can't b**** about that, it was the "safe pick," IIRC what people were saying at the time. Last year's draft was a gem: Yao is all I expected and more (honestly wasn't expecting too much) and Boki is a pleasant surprise.

The only year that REALLY made me mad was 2001, but we won't get into that. If we had our picks though, definitely don't think we take RJ, that's for sure.