1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox first, second and third offensive options

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seth, Sep 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Seth

Seth Member

What do you think the offensive balance will be on average (FGA per game), assuming Yao can play effectivelly from day one?

Yao - Brooks - Martin?

Brooks - Yao - Martin?

Martin - Yao - Brooks?

Will Scola crack our top 3 shot takers?
    Will we reduce the use of Yao offensivelly during the season to prevent him to wear out?
    Will Martin-Brooks (combined) both shoot more than Yao-Scola?

I have always think the best offense is inside-out, but this team has so many options they can basically play any offense they need to. But on the other hand, i think all of our players have weakneses offensively meaning that on nights they can be controlled.
    What approach would you take as a coach and what approach do you think Rick A will take?

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Guys who think Yao will be our 1st or even 2nd option right away may be so wrong and so dissapointed when the season starts.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

1. break/easy quick score
    2. get it to Yao early, work off Yao
    3. shot clock winding down, let Martin manufacture something

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think Scola definitely cracks the top three.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The first open shooter.

DD

2 people like this.
  6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This, I HOPE Yao is 4th option for a majority of the season.

I want him to play 20-25 minutes during the season, then the Rockets pickup his minutes to 35+ in the playoffs. As long as we can make the playoffs with a 100% healthy, I don't care what seed we are, we are gonna be a TOUGH out.

7. Seth

Seth Member

As a poster on the Spurs formun said i think we should approach our inside game the way the Spurs do with Parker/Ginobili for their backcourt game. Playing for Parker the majority of the first 3 quarters when he can score leaving Ginobili fresh for the fourth acting as a decoy or occasional shooter for the first 3 quarters.
    Scola and Yao should take the same approach, let Scola be the workhorse during the first 3 quarters if he is finding his way inside, then, we can switch to Yao during the end of the 3rd and during the 4th.

8. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

smart way would be inside out with Yao, Martin then Brooks.. Scola is a strong 4th option

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

It is meaningless to talk about this right now. We don't know how well and how long Yao can play. After training camp and preseason, coach Adelman will get his idea.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Probably Martin - Yao - Brooks

When there's a last second shot the order probably reverses.

11. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Does that mean Yao will never take the final shot?

12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Assuming yao plays effectively, (big if) my order would be yao-martin-scola, with aaron brooks playing more of a point guard role being more of a bailout shooter. I would love to see Ab develop into a top 5 point guards in the nba with all the talent we have on the team this year, his assists should raise this year, im hoping almost cp3 like (pipe dream i know).

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

1. Yao
    2. Martin
    3. Brooks

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It will change every game and it will be different by the end of the season than in the beginning.

Yao-Martin-Brooks-Scola will be our final result. With a man like Yao on your team you always make him the first option. Always. That being said some teams will do everything they can to stop him... including fronting and triple teaming. When they are successful of course Yao will be smart enought to pass out and if Yao can't get the ball Adelman will be smart enough to take advantage of the other teams overplaying. Those nights Yao will get less touches and less points. But he will still be the intended first choice.

On a side note this reasoning is why the Rockets will be so much better off than in years past with Yao. The Rockets have never had a more willing group of guys that fit the style of Adelman and Yao and are willing to play team ball. In the past it was always Tmac's team first and then let's give it to the big guy. Now it will be let's run down the court and score quick, if nothing happens then let's give it to the big guy and see what he can create.

Which means creating for himself or someone else. That is the offense in a nutshell and that has always been adelmans hope. Only with ballhogs like Tmac and Artest, alston, wafer and even Ariza last year we have not been able to implement it. Now I feel we have a team that wants to truly play like a team. So it dosn't matter who is the number one scorer. That person will be different on most if we are taking what the other team gives us. it is impossible to cover all of our threats.

Good thread by the way.

1 person likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Adultman is the first option in Adultman's offense.

16. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

When the season starts probably:

1. Yao
    2. Martin
    3. Brooks

When the season gets going probably:

1. Yao
    2. Martin
    3. Brooks

In the playoffs most likely:

1. Yao
    2. Martin
    3. Brooks

2 and 3 could vary.

1 person likes this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Sounds about right.

18. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Fixed

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think Adelman cares about first, second or third. He just cares about options, the more the better.

Also, it is very possible that one of Brooks and Martin (Brooks more possible) is going to be traded before the deadline. And whoever we get will definitely be one of the top two options by playoffs time.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm glad you broke that down into 3 separate categories for us.

Otherwise, it would have been confusing.