1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox Asst Boylen on 610 @ 5pm

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

Just heard that Rockets assistant Jim Boylen will be calling 610 from Los Angeles during the 5pm hour.

Anyone with a question might want to email Rich and Charley now at http://www.sportsradio610.com Look under contact us. It's worth a shot.

os

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Thanks for the heads up.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I spoke with Boylen on Saturday. He was very cool and was appreciative of clutchcity.net. I'm glad I got to meet him. I'm sure he will talk a lot about Eddie Griffin - he did to me. The team is very excited about Eddie and they have been working with him on an inside game, which is obvious (he's posting up more). Boylen said he has put on 17 pounds since they drafted him. Eddie told me he had put on "about 10 pounds" this summer.

Boylen coached the team on Saturday. Larry Smith did on Friday.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have not notice them reading too much e-mail on the air.

JACKHOLES!!

Rocket River
    :D

5. Old School

Old School Member

They have been the last of the staff to embrace email, that's for sure.

They just don't get it.

os

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

When I saw him(Griffin) at the Galleria, I thought he gained about 10lbs. I haven't been so pumped in anticipation of the new season since the summer we signed Pippen.

7. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

i just cant wait for the season. I believe griff will move into the starting line up for good early in the season.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cool, Clutch. Looking forward to your Griffin interview/feature.

If Griffin was drafted at 220, which his nba.com profile lists him at, another 17 pounds puts him at 237, which is pretty good for a 20 year old. Ideally, he should probably be 240-250, but he's getting there, and still has time to fill out a little more.

9. carlit0

carlit0 Member

he is on now

10. rocketlaunch

Jim Boylen Interview Just completed Transcript.

Heres a rough transcript of what was asked and how he answered. i hope this helps some of you out.

how is eddie doing:

said eddie is doing great this summer, has gained 14 to 17 pounds is filling out and getting a feel of his game. have him using his inside game more hooks etc. Working on the pick and pop more also.

What will players roles be this season:

Says eddie is a 4 who can play 5 only one or 2 dominate 5's in the league right now. his true position is the 4. eddies sky is the limit dont box him into one position.

Tito maddox:

Tito is a ballhandler who can play either guard spot hes big a little bigger then cuttino. He can run the break and pick and roll well. Love his size and toughness good defender stopper type. hes a solid pick should have been first rounder.

Steve, Cato, and mo:

Have all been working out with the team, mo has lost weight and steve is looking good needs more conditioning takes a little time for it. Steve hasnt had a migrane lately.

8 teams in the summer league who is looking good:

Said gooden is impressive can play inside and outside already has a post up game. Isnt a shot blocker but can rebound and score. Says amare is really exciting to watch very explosive high energy and has a toughness.

Alton ford:

Says alton is figuring out how to get the ball to the basket and get fouled has matured a great deal. Can guard the 3,4, and 5.

On Ming:

Says ming will pick up things quickly he isnt your typical 21 year old guy. He speaks english says tnt was wrong saying he doesnt he can comprehend. He will make the transition. the guys are excited about them.

11. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Started with EG, gained 14-17 lbs since last year.

Stated he is a 4 that can play 5 . Stated that there are only 1-2 dominate centers in the league right now.

Rockets had him for 8 blks against Pho and 6 Blks shots against the Griz.

Tito maddux talk:
    Ball handling guard that can play the 1 or 2.
    They love his size and his toughness. Said that he has first round talent.

Cato's weight is down same with Taylor.

Steve looks great. Shoulder looks good, No migraines lately.Stills has some weight to lose, but is playing great shooting wise, said something like Francis went for 23-25 the other day shooting around.

Gooden talk: Already has a back down game.

Amare Talk: Explosive, thinks he is going to be a great player in this league.

Alton Ford Talk: Impressed with his game. Can guard 3,4 and 5 postion.

Ming talk: (miss some of this segment, phone rang)

The guys are excited about him coming to Houston.

Hand checking rule: Hoping for some consistantancy in ref calling this foul.

Zone Rules: Said that the Rockets did not really play Zone last year, so this rule has not affected them to much.

#11 carlit0, Jul 15, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2002
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks a lot for the transcript, Carlit0! :)

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

looks like the Rockets coaches really believe in Tito even though he may have struggled a bit in the Summer League games so far.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks to you, too. That doesn't really sound like they don't see Maddox making the team?

15. rocketlaunch

I agree with you as well we all say we need a 2 guard. He says that maddox can be the backup 2 guard and hes a defensive stopper.

16. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

There is a thread on this subject already. Perhaps you can post your comments on that thread also.

17. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Follow up by the (610 am) radio hosts after the Rocket talk.

That the Rockets may have 5 guards under contract, Tito, Torres, Francis, Mooch and Cuttino.

Said Rocket are not going to be a player in the FA Market this summer and to forget Rashard Lewis.

But Rockets should offer the mid level exception for Lewis to come home to Houston.

The rest is bla bla bla .....

18. rocketlaunch

My bad i started this one like 4 minutes before the other guy posted his transcript.

19. tozai

tozai Member

Nice to hear. I'm still a little annoyed by the Rockets staff saying Tito can play both guard positions. That's complete BS. Just because he has the height to, doesn't mean he actually can. He doesn't have much of any SHOOTING ability so how can he play SHOOTING GUARD? He's a point guard, pure point guard. All his scoring is from penetration and shots on the break. I hope they don't seriously convince themselves (it looks like they have) that Tito can play 1 AND 2 because he can't...and defensive stopper might be a little bit of exagerration.

Anyways, it's good to see Griffin put on some weight and Mo & Steve are looking good...

20. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

There is one problem with Tito and that is turnovers. Hopefully he can improve in that catagory.