1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rowdy story from the LA game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by krosfyah, Jan 11, 2007.

1. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

uh, yeah. nobody is going to grate on the opposing fans when their team is winning big against an opposing team everybody hates...IN THE HOME ARENA. wake up man. start a brawl? please.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

starting a brawl? IT is a basketball game. It would be incredibly stupid for anyone to start a brawl over team loyalty.

Harmless silly string wouldn't be the thing that is likely to start a brawl. flipping people off might be, but that shouldn't be either. It is just banter about a basketball game, and one woman who is probably the biggest uptight sports fan in the state.

3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some job. lol

Bottom line... The woman didn't like how he did his job and as a paying customer had a right to address it.

Learn how to read....

So last night, Clutch the Bear comes up our aisle and is spraying silly string on fans wearing LA jerseys. A couple rows down he gets this couple and the woman stands up and starts screaming at Clutch ...honestly pissed off. So we layed into her ...

She didn't immediately start using profane gestures. She had a beef with Clutch and the Rowdies decided for some moronic reason to make it their business.

Seeing as it did cause a confrontation, I'd say you are wrong. Not everyone gets as transfixed as a cat playing with string when they see a dude in a bear suit pulling corny stunts at a basketball game.

And even if true, it does not justify 50 or so grown people to start "laying in to her hard".

I suppose the fans that layed in to Patty Biggio hard after a World Series game didn't provoke that confrontation.

4. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Sure she needed to express herself better to Clutch than she did. No question about that.

If she wanted to involve security, that's her business. If she wants to argue with a bear, that's her business. If she was distracting other from watching the game while she was arguing with a bear, then those fans have the right to ask security to have security to have her move the argument elsewhere.

Just because you get some free tickets, it does not give you the right to start personal chants directed a paying customers. You people have to be smart enough to figure that out.

Hell no, they were not justified. But neither were the Rowdies for getting personal with that lady.

5. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

If you're the only person truely angry in a confrontation, I'd hardly call that a setup for a "brawl". Basically this woman asking for confrontation (by wearing laker gear to a rockets home game) couldn't handle a playful joke by a man in a bear costume.

By starting an arguement, she set herself up to be singled out by other fans.

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You don't exercise that right by launching into a tyrade at clutch. He lack of understanding, and and common sense caused the problems. Apparently thousands of other fans do like how Clutch does his job, so that woman doesn't have to buy a ticket if it bothers her. She is free to not show up.

She did immediately start yelling. She got needlessly upset over harmless silly string. Whether people or transfixed or not, doesn't change the fact that the stuff is completely harmless to an adult. She went way out of line to the team's mascott, and the fans did a fun thing, but giving her some deserved non-profane grief.
    No the silly string didn't provoke a confrontation. The woman's irrational, and unreasonable behavior caused the confrontation.
    Sure it does. At a sports arena that is an accepted norm.

7. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

I'm starting think you don't have a clue

Good for you.

They guy admitted the Rowdies started with her first. He admitted they called her a sore loser among other things. Then he comes here to brag about it..... Get real, most Rocket fans are not going to behave that way in a situation that was none of their business to begin with.

If you're in Walmart and some lady in front of you is having a beef with the cashier, is everyone in ear shot gonna start a chant and start berating the woman? No, if the woman is a nusance, you'd get an authority figure to handle it.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Do you not understand that different establishments have different established norms? Are you that clueless? In a Walmart I don't cheer when the cashier successfully rings me up either. That isn't the norm for a megamart.

Harmless razzing of opponents fans in a sports stadium is. Neither she nor you have to conform to those norms, but by the same token you don't have a leg to stand on when berating others because they do follow the accepted norms.

9. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

So...you're telling me that a situation like that in no way could turn in to a brawl. Is that your viewpoint?

The argument started when she got sprayed...... See Walmart comments above.

Also...

What if it had been a pie? I've seen that happen to with mascots. How would you react to that if you were minding your own business and someone got pie all over you? Where do you draw the line?

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I love how we have our best record at home in a long time and the Rowdies have finally livened up the Toyota Center, giving us a real homecourt advantage, and we have Debbie Downer coming in here telling everyone that they can't talk trash to a fan of an opposing team. It's part of sports. If you can't handle it, you shouldn't go to a game at the opposing team's home arena.

I went to Game 7 in Dallas, ALONE, wearing a Yao Ming jersey and got heckled like never before. But I expected it, going into Dallas' arena wearing a Rockets jersey. I (unexpectedly) walked upon the Mavs' pre game pep rally and was booed beyond belief and had two douche bags wearing string bikinis painted blue came up and talk trash to me as I walked by...All I did was pop my jersey at them and walk confidently by. Also, I was randomly heckled by fans during the game. I don't even want to talk about some of the things after the game -- but I'll just say this, I know what it's like to be alone among 20,000 other people. And, you know what, despite the ass kicking that the Rockets received that night, I had a great time because I was able to represent the team I love on the road and not be bothered by all of the trash. I actually enjoyed it because it meant I was getting on the other fans nerves and would have been doing the same thing had the Rockets won.

Debbie Downer, get real...

11. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!! Ban Ill-Skillz!!!

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like the biatch needed a good ribbing, as long as it was relatively harmless.

13. SirCharlesFan

Those situations with the pie are always set up with an "actor" or someone that's "in" on the joke.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Man, talk about thin-skinned. We went to the Browns-Texans game, and we had the banter going on with the Browns fans all game long. At the end, everyone shook hands and had a good laugh about it, except one guy who was just being a jerk. He flipped everyone off, and that's when the good-natured ribbing turned into the same thing as what happened at the Rockets game. I've been to more opposing arenas than I can count- I've been harassed mercilessly by opposing fans. Yet, at the end, we always shake hands and offer mutual congratulations. If this lady expected anything different in an opposing arena, then she's the one with the problem.

Besides, she's a Lakers fan. They have no rights.

15. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

No, I'm not clueless. I'm just a lot smarter than you. Do you not understand it was none of the Rowdies business? Write a letter to Les Alexander and ask him if he thinks it's a good idea if the Rowdies interject in disputes between his employees and paying customers.

Neither is 50 or so grown people sticking their nose in someone else's business and yelling stupid crap at that person.

And don't think just because you are at a sporting event you don't have to use good judgement. As I said in my initial statement, what they did was pointless and stupid.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

you're wastng time that could be better spent owning the neocons in D&D Blade. ;)

I think I haev the answer to your question.

No-Skillz is actually a huge Lakers fan, adn feels bad for his fellow fan and feels the need to come in and defend her from the big bad bear adn the equally big bad ROwdies.

ok...that situation resolved.
    NExt thread?

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Wait, so you're telling me that the source of her getting upset was that Clutch sprayed silly string on her? Oh my God. The typical Kleenex Komplex. Gee, hope that string didn't ruin her 'do. Talk about a big baby- I feel a Talking Heads moment coming on:

"See her drink. from a bottle.
    See her eat. from a plate.
    Cute. cute. as a button.
    Dont you wanna make her. stay up late.
    And were having fun. with no money.
    Little smile. on her face.
    Dont cha love. the little baby.
    Dont you want to make her. stay up late."

18. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

So now, the Rowdies are responsible for our home record.... Geez....

If the fan decides to playfully joust with you, have at it. If you see the fan is involved in something like what happened there. Don't throw gas on the fire.

Good for you. I don't see where you wrote that 50 guys started chanting personal comments at you.

I have watched the Rockets in Phoenix, Dallas and Seattle wearing Rockets gear and haven't had anyone say much of anything to me. I've been to hundreds of Rocket's game and never once had the urge to talk crap to a opposing team's fan.

19. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

20. SirCharlesFan

Chanting "personal comments" ? According to the OP, the chant was "sore loser". Also, I can say much worse was said to me than "personal comments". Get a life.