1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Router VPN Set-up help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davo, Jan 14, 2015.

1. davo

davo Contributing Member

Living overseas as an expat, I am constantly running into geo-blocked video problems from my home country. I have a PC hooked up directly to my TV, which works well in conjunction with a VPN client, but the keyboard interface is clunky, and I can't use it for my roku devices.

What I would REALLY like, is to have two wireless routers set up in my house - one with normal settings, and the other with permanent VPN (or DNS?) settings that make it look like it is in Australia. That way, I could simply "switch countries" by selecting a different wifi connection.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Can I install "parallel" wireless routers? Or is there some kind of device I can install (in addition to the main router) that will act as a wifi access point but can be configured with appropriate VPN/DNS settings? I have googled, but have not found a solution and my knowledge of network set-up is not great.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Absolutely possible. Look in to DD-WRT custom firmware.

You obviously need a VPN provider with locations in the countries you want to VPN in to.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yup, I've done this before using DD-WRT.

Look into http://privateinternetaccess.com

Here are your instructions. Worked great for me when I used it.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/#ddwrt_pptp

Oh, and this second router you will use for this will have to be plugged into a switch of some sort. Might have to get it on a different subnet as you only want it to act as an AP. If you have a modem from your ISP that is a modem/router combo with wifi then you might be out of luck as it can get complicated to setup

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why do you want to "fool" systems into believing you're in the country where stuff isn't allowed? There's a reason it isn't allowed. :eek: I, for one, will not help you deceive. I will not wish you luck with this, either.

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

Thanks for your help - just to clarify:
    - the instructions you provide are for a VPN provider called privateinternetaccess. I use hidemyass, and they offer services in Australia. Will they work as well as privateinternetaccess? I note that hidemyass also offers downloadable DD-WRT firmware for routers.
    - What sort of "switch" do I need? Apologies for my ignorance, but if you could provide me with a link or example it would be appreciated.
    - My set-up is separate modem (provided by ISP) and wireless router owned by me, so should be ok.

Thanks again.