1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rotten Tomatoes] 100 Worst Movies of the past Decade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Sep 30, 2009.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Going 'Ballistic' on the Decade's Worst Movies

by Jonathan Crow · September 29, 2009

Movie critics are, by definition, folks with strong opinions about movies. But opinions are personal and subjective, so usually critical response to any movie is split between the positive and the negative. Still, there are a few extraordinary films every year that unite reviewers. When they all uniformly praise a movie, it's probably close to a masterpiece. When they all hate a flick, it probably stinks worse than week-old Limburger.

RottenTomatoes.com, which aggregates the opinions of over 100 professional movie critics and distills them down to a single numeric "freshness" rating, has compiled the "Worst of the Worst," a list of the absolute dredges of cinema over the past decade. By looking at the movies with the highest percentages of negative reviews, they have ranked the 100 worst-reviewed films of the last ten years. The list encompasses a whole range of critically-reviled movies, from the John Travolta sci-fi fiasco "Battlefield Earth" in 2000 to Sandra Bullock's unfunny stalker comedy "All About Steve," which opened just a few weeks ago.

Looking over the list, there are plenty of memorably terrible flicks listed: Mariah Carey's first (and hopefully last) leading role in "Glitter," Madonna's most recent (and hopefully last) star turn "Swept Away," three "Larry the Cable Guy" movies, and Eddie Murphy's "The Adventures of Pluto Nash," which ranks as one of the all-time biggest box-office bombs. Even "Gigli," the Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez catastrophe that's currently Yahoo! users' lowest-rated film of all time, only ranks 73rd on their list. Think about that: 72 movies are actually worse than "Gigli."

Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer -- who Slate once called "evildoers, charlatans, symbols of Western civilization's decline" for their relentless output of depressingly disposable parodies like "Epic Movie" -- tied German schlock auteur Uwe Boll ("Bloodrayne") for being responsible for the most movies on the list, cranking out four each.

Carmen Electra, who has been in all of Friedberg and Seltzer's movies, has appeared in a whopping six stinkers on the list, the most of any other star. However, you don't have to be a D-lister to wind up in a dud. A surprising number of Oscar-winners found themselves in critically savaged films, from Robert De Niro ("Godsend") and Al Pacino ("88 Minutes") to Diane Keaton ("Because I Said So") and Ben Kingsley ("A Sound of Thunder").

So what wound up being the worst of the worst? That honor goes to the 2002 explosion fest "Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever," starring Antonio Banderas and Lucy Liu. The movie -- which earned a rare 0% freshness rating -- was described by critics as being "an ungainly mess," "loud and boring," "flat, stale, confusing and lazy," and "a picture for idiots." Though the flick damaged but didn't completely ruin both Banderas' and Liu's careers, Thai-born director Wych Kaosyananda (aka Kaos) hasn't directed a movie since.

Here's the bottom ten from RottenTomatoes's "Worst of the Worst":

10. Witless Protection (2008)
    9. Redline (2007)
    8. 3 Strikes (2000)
    7. Strange Wilderness (2008)
    6. Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (2004)
    5. National Lampoon's Gold Diggers (2004)
    4. King's Ransom (2005)
    3. Pinocchio (2002)
    2. One Missed Call (2008)
    1. Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever (2002)

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-rotten-tomatoes-100-worst.html

If you wanna see the whole list here is the link...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/worst_of_the_worst/1/

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Skimmed through the list, and was surprised only saw one of the movies on there, Battlefield Earth.

Ironically, some of my best moviegoing experiences had been watching horrible movies with friends in empty theaters(back when I was in high school watching matinees). Making fun of bad movies was always nice. :)

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I went through that entire list. I haven't seen even one flick on that whole list. I don't watch movies that often, but odds are that I would have seen one of them.

4. aghast

aghast Member

If I ever take up a(n additional) recreational drug habit, I will inaugurate it with a showing of:
    That title is great.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

the new guy wasn't THAT bad. Okay it was but it had Zoey Deschanel =)

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The only movie i saw of the top 10 was One missed Call, and it wasn't a good movie, but there are movies that were much worse. For example Transformers 1 really was a terrible movie, that much money and hype and such a bad movie.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I've only seen two of the movies in the top 100. The two Larry the Cable Guy movies. A couple of my former roommates bought both of the DVDs for like $5 total and decided we all had to watch them. I didn't actually think they were THAT bad. One of those movies so bad that you just have to laugh at it from time to time. I can't believe "From Justin to Kelly" isn't on the list.

On the other hand, I have to laugh at the amount of people that still show up to see these craptastic movies at the theater. I worked in a theater box office for several years. Probably the least attended movie released during my time at the theater was Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne. Over the course of a weekend I probably sold 15 tickets to Bloodrayne.

In addition to apparently being a terrible movie, Gigli has to be the worst named movie of all time. I loved people coming up to purchase tickets and saying "Gimme two to that JIGGLY movie."

8. Nero

Nero Member

Hmm..

I looked through it and actually remember seeing maybe 4 or 5 of them on tv over the years, and yeah they were bad.

But no League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? No Van Helsing?

And the worst movie EVER isn't on the list at all!

They screwed the pooch on this list, or maybe the worst movie ever was never actually reviewed at all, which is hard to believe, since it did receive a theatrical release.

Hmph.

9. Rookie

Rookie Contributing Member

Since the Worst 10 did not include Pulp Fiction and Moulin Rouge, the list is a farce.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Only one I’ve seen is One Missed Call, and yes, it was REALLY bad.

They should’ve put that Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay movie on there somewhere. I tried to watch it a few weeks ago and ended up turning it off about 20 minutes in after not so much as cracking a smile from the get-go. And I LOVED the 1st movie.

Also, those _____ Movie movies are really bad. Date Movie, Scary Movie, Stupid Movie, whatever. All of them are just really un-funny. Why do they keep making them???

11. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Only one I've seen was "Master of Disguise". And it was mind-numbingly awful. Wish I could get that 1.5 hours back. ugh.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

:confused:

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

:confused:

14. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Pulp Fiction in the 10 worst?

Also, this was the worst 100 of the past DECADE.

15. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Flamebait. Ignore.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dana garvey had a few of those movies

Rocket River

17. cson

cson Contributing Member

I only saw one, Johnson Family Vacation, and it was on an international flight, so I don't think it counts.

18. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Aww cmon Corky Romano at #64... That scene where he is trying to squeeze out a fart is priceless.

House of the Dead should be in the top 10, although I enjoy watching it from time to time just to see how bad it is again.

I've only seen about 10 of the movies on that list, thank God.

That Exorcist prequel should be on that list too, that movie was terrible.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

All 3 Larry the Cable Guy movies? No way! Date Movie, Epic Movie, AND Disaster Movie? Get out of here!

20. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I don't think that Harlold & Kumar II is quite as bad as you make it out to be. There are several gags in there that made me laugh pretty hard, but once it gets to the Wedding scene it is just f'n horrible.

To your other point, they keep making those movies because they are CHEAP and you don't have to get many people to show up to turn a profit. As long as enough people keep showing up for them to turn a profit, they will keep cranking them out.