1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rotoworld] Dominican website reporting Manny close to signing with Yankees

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by countingcrow, Dec 22, 2008.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1884

Manny Ramirez-OF- Dodgers

Dec. 22 - 12:12 am et

Impactodeportivo.com.do reports that the Yankees are on the verge of signing Manny Ramirez to a three-year, $75 million deal.

Doubtful, extremely doubtful. Still, everyone else will picking up on the Dominican-based report soon enough. Manny to the Yankees is a definite possibility, but it's highly unlikely that the two sides are this far along. On the off chance that it is, a more legitimate source will pick up on it soon.

Source: Impacto Deportivo

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Do it Yankees do it! Let it be true. Then I will hope you crash and burn the next 3 seasons even more than normal.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Hasn't manny already had his payday? How greedy can players get these days?

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

wow. I wonder how he'll be greeted on his return to fenway...

5. tigereye

tigereye Member

They are getting this info from Sunday mornings NY Daily News, where Manny states he thinks the Yanks are warming up to the idea of him in pinstripes.

Curiously, at the top of Manny's wiki, it has been updated to state that he "currently is an OF for the New York Yankees."

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I don't trust anything not written in English.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I really, really hope this isn't true. Say what you want about Manny but he's the most clutch hitter in baseball. The idea of him playing for the Yankees and potentially putting them over the top makes me feel like I just swallowed a box of thumbtacks.

8. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Sometimes I wish they were the "Houston Yankees"

9. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I really never understood this logic. Is he supposed to sign for the league minimum?

10. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

I hope they get it done, and from what I read they are still in the Teixeira sweepstakes. Can you imagine a Jeter, Arod, Manny and Teixeira line-up? Nice to see some owners care about winning. I will root for the Yankees cause they will do what ever it takes to try to field a winning team.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) If they were to sign Manny, they would not sign Tex. It's an either or.

2) Buster Olney was just on the radio in NY and said this is absolutely false. No offer has been made to Manny.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Yeah, because every team has that much cash to spend, as freely as they choose. And what have the Yankees won in the last decade...nothing.

I will root for teams like the Rays or the Phillies any day over a team like the Yankees.

13. Legend Killer

Yeah but unlike Drayton, the Yankees are willing to spend the money they do have to improve thier team. With a payroll like that, you know they have to be losing money but they dont care because they want to win a championship. Drayton is all talk. Drayton raked in the profits from 3 million fans yet he doesn't want to spend any money to improve his team?

I love my Astros but I HATE Drayton, I'm tired of his lying.

14. Major

Major Member

The Yankees aren't losing money. In fact, I believe they are more profitable than the Astros (and almost every other team). They have massive revenue streams unavailable to any other team because of their market size.

15. justtxyank

I think they actually did report a loss the season before last.

16. Legend Killer

Yeah but thanks to revenue sharing the Yanks give some of that money to MLB to pass around among the other clubs, to which Drayton pockets that money and continues to cry broke and continue to dump salary.

17. Major

Major Member

Yeah, but that's distorted because they also own their own TV network - so the Yankees are paying themselves to broadcast games, meaning the costs show up on the Yankees' books and the profits show up on the YES Network books.

18. justtxyank

This is true, but it's also worth noting that the YES Network profits are not entirely the property of the Yankee franchise. Goldman Sachs, etc. have stakes in the YES entity, and much of the revenue that the network generates has to be spread around between shareholders and investment capital back into the network.

I'm not arguing that they are losing money though, only that it isn't like they are printing money and only spending some of it. Their operating budget eats into their revenues at a huge clip. An analysis was done earlier this offseason that explained that the cost of missing the playoffs to the Yankees is enormous and actually puts them at an overall loss on the balance sheet. They really do max out on the payroll in an effort to win, even at the potential expense of profit.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

OH Hell's no.....