1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rotations...Rotations...Rotations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Nov 1, 2015.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

When you lose the first 3 games by 20, especially one that you were leading by 20, questions have to be asked.

From tonight's game some baffling rotations, sitting guys who were hot & sticking with guys that were ice cold.

Pathetic. Simply Pathetic...

Clint Capela has 10p 5r 1b in 14 mins on 5/5 shooting, is our only guy close to 7'...but McHale sits him?????????

Ty Lawson is playing like he's drunk, 4-4-4 in 37 minutes???

James Harden, who does have a shoulder injury that is being hushed, continues to jack up contested 3 after Contested 3???

He couldn't hit a stripper with a dollar bill at the moment...

Thornton was blazing in the First Half, but they can't get him a decent look in the 2nd half, which he sat out when Miami went on that huge run.

Dekker doesn't play at all, either does McDaniels, even when Ariza starts stinking again in the 2nd Half...I know Dekker isn't 'ready', but at least he is tall.

Our 'Depth is starting to look like fools gold.

Chuck Hayes gave us some solid minutes, but if he's 'The Answer' then we are in trouble.

This might be another 'protest' game by McHale, who is calling for some size & doesn't want Howard sitting out games, especially when TJ is also out & D-Mo is not expected back until, or just after, Christmas time.

But come on Coach...those roster rotations were pathetic.

Your thoughts & desired roster rotations?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The depth is not fool's gold. Mchale is not managing the depth correctly.. I mean Harrell in at the 5 in crunch time? He played well but he's a Rookie and 100 inches shorter than Capela!!! They both do the same **** why the hell is Harrell your small ball 5!? The he puts in Chuck when he was just signed off the street this morning!? WTF s Michale thinking!?

3. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

we needed more Brewer guarding whiteside.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Basically another McHale is garbage thread. Just put it in the Fire McHale thread.

But I agree

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Mchale thinks the only way to come back is Threes its so ****ing dumb.. Defense, fast break whould be good. This ****ing knucklehead put 5 "shooters" on the court all 6'7'' or below! What. The. Hell.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree with most of what you said.

I would like to see Lawson moved to the bench. Thought that when we got Lawson, and this season has made that even more apparent in my mind. Lawson hasn't even been bad in my opinion, but he's just been more ineffective than he should be and the fit with Harden simply isn't ideal.

It's like when we got Josh Smith. Play the lineups that fit the best. Don't force something that doesn't work.

7. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Capela playing 14mins in a game without Dwight is absolutely stupid

8. deb4rockets5

deb4rockets5 Member

I have been dumbfounded by the rotations too. When Harrell was on fire the first two games he came out and sat on the bench the rest of the game. Capella was playing great tonight and we needed him at the rim both on offense and defense. Harden is killing us on offense by taking twice as many 3's as our best 3 pt shooters. Has anyone claiming to be the MVP ever shot as low as 3 out of 32 from behind the arc? Lawson and Brewer need to take more of the 3's than the Beard. I guess Howard is our part-time center for the year. On a bright note......I am excited about a promising future with Capella and Harrell. They are fun to watch.

9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Depth is a joke when McHale is the coach.

10. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

We could acquire CP3 and still misuse him in our offensive sets here. Literally no ball weakside ball movement while Harden or Lawson run through picks - just a few guys waiting to receive the ball so they can jack up a contested 3.

If the first 3 games were open try-outs, the best lineup right now is.

Beverly
    Thornton
    Ariza
    Harrell
    Capella

Yes, that's how bad things have gotten.

11. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

This times 100.

But also, I have been saying for 3 years about McHale rotations that for "his system" it would be better if he just subbed by position only instead of trying to play all different kinds of lineups. The players would at least have a better idea of where they are supposed to be and what they are expected to do for THAT POSITION. In this system with his rotation patterns, a players may play 3 different positions in 1 game. It's hard enough knowing where you are supposed to be and what you are supposed to be doing in this non-disciplined system.

His current rotations SHOULD BE:

Lawson/Bev
    Harden/Thornton
    Ariza/Brewer
    TJones/Harrell
    Dwight/Capela

With what he had to work with tonight, it should have been:

Lawson/Bev
    Harden/Thornton
    Ariza/Brewer
    Harrell/Dekker
    Capela/Hayes

Playing some of these players out of position because he poor defense switches EVERYTHING anyway, also throws off the offensive sets and rotations and players just seem to be lost as to where they are supposed to be and what they are supposed to be doing.

What i know for sure is that using 10 different lineups in games and playing players at 3 positions during the same game is not going to produce good results, especially not consistently.

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

This is not a Fire McHale thread by any stretch of the imagination...his numbers & achievements speak for themselves. Plus he is well liked by the players.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"another" protest game?

DMo isn't expected back until Christmas? yikes.

14. carib

carib Member

I agree, not sure why Capella is playing so few minutes.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Depth gets a lot shallower when two starters are not playing. I agree regarding Capela. If Dwight can't play, Capela should be logging 30 minutes.