1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster Cuts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2015.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O'Brien says this will probably be the 53 that the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> will go into the regular season with.</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/640980937321381888">September 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing you mean 2009 when you say that. When I compare the two Nuk and Dre are about the same level, Shorts is better than Walter, Mumphrey is better than David Anderson, Jacoby Jones is basically EZ who didn't make the roster, and we still haven't talked about Washington, Strong, or Martin.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I agree this is by far the best wr group Texans have ever had. It's not saying a lot since we've never had a great group but this year's group is impressive. Hop might take that leap as a probowler this season.

4. Summer Song Giver

Dre

Nuk

Walter Shorts

Washington
    everybody else

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No way is there as big a gap between Dre and Nuk as there is between Nuk and Kevin Walter....and no way is Kevin Walter (the God of blocking) on the same level as Shorts.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe after Hopkins gets 15,000 yard seasons.

Shorts has one season (2012) with stats to even bring up in discussion, Walter has 2 (2007 and 2008). The talent is there but need to see Shorts do it again. Not sure why you mentioned EZ since he is not on the team, I think Strong has the potential to be the difference maker. Also remember that the 09 team had a quality TE that was actually used.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing you mean 1,500 yard seasons....but Nuk hasn't ever come anywhere close to 171 targets in a season either. Given as many targets as Dre had in 2009 where he had 1569 yards, last year Nuk was on pace for 1629 yards. The gap between Dre and Nuk isn't anywhere near as wide as some suggest.

The gap in talent between Schaub when Kevin Walter had 2 decent seasons and any QB Shorts has ever had to deal with is ridiculous.

I bring up EZ because that's about the talent level of Jacoby Jones. Sure he didn't make the team, but neither would Jones.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That would be something

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Ha! Correct I meant 1500 yards.

When Hopkins can actually produce, not project, as much; then you can compare the two seasons. He should have the chance to do so this season, let's hope he does.

Again, with Shorts and Walters I could use your argument against you and say if Walter had more targets (had to compete with Andre, Daniels, and Slaton) he would have more stats. Cecil Shorts was the #1 receiver in his best season (2012). Again, not arguing the talent, I just want to see more than one decent season.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yes it would be :)

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's all fair. Any of these kinds of things are based on individual projections so it's all subjective.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I should clarify that I meant before this year, that would've been our deepest WR corps.

13. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I'm okay with saying Dre > Hopkins, but it's way closer than you think and Hopkins is looking like he's about to mentioned amongst the NFL elite. But that aside....there is no way that group behind AJ can touch the talent at WR we currently have behind Hopkins.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, gotcha, then we agree.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agree with all of this.

Andre was an elite talent, but I want to point out that he NEVER had the catching ability that DeAndre has. The man has the best mitts we've ever had in a Texans uniform. He doesn't have Andre's speed, and time will tell if he has his toughness, but just in terms of pure catching ability, DeAndre is in a league of his own.

Behind him? That group you quoted included "the best thing you can say about me is that I'm a good blocker" Kevin Walter, "Me no catch football!" Jacoby Jones and "Just don't ask me to keep moving and catch a football at the same time" David Anderson.

Sorry, that group was not deep AT ALL. Walter wasn't horrible, but he was definitely better suited to be a 3rd receiver than a #2 and the other two were scrubs as far as receivers (Both were good special teamers).

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

No Matt Cassel here:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bills announced they re-signed QB Matt Cassel.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/641258868358578176">September 8, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I really think Hopkins will insert himself into the conversation for the top 5 WRs in the league this season.

Don't be surprised to see some Odell Beckham Jr-esque type plays from him this season.

18. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

How many TDs do you see? I say 7.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I like Nuk but can we wait until he's the man for at least 4 years before attempting to say he's this close or that close to Dre. We don't know how he will fare once he's the main focus and teams prep their defenses to stopping him.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

As the #2 receiver on this team he just put up a 1200 yard season with a better YPC average than Dre ever had. Dre never cracked 1200 yards in as few targets as DeAndre had.

Now, they aren't the same type of receiver really, but DeAndre's production last year was elite.