1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster Cuts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Of all the QBs released, the best the Texans could do was Zac Dysert?

2. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Nonsense.

Just release Grimes

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Who did you want? Matt Cassell? Matt Flynn? Rex Grossman? TJ Yates? Tebow?

Those guys aren't eligible for the practice squad and I don't think the Texans are interested in carrying a 3rd QB on the active roster. They did with Savage because he's young and has value and somebody would claim him if they tried to put him on the PS. But they're not going to commit that spot to a vet who has no future with the team unless Hoyer or Mallett get injured.

So if you're looking for a QB with practice squad eligibility just to run scout team offense, your choices are fairly limited. I would assume that if Hoyer or Mallett get injured, they might look at one of the retreads instead of promoting Dysert from the practice squad.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Or you know Dysert is good and OB knows QB's like his track récord suggests

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Congrats you made the team. Sike. Your fired.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Incorrect. He performed poorly last season under fox and was buried on the depth chart. I know this as I drafted him for fantasy in an early round. He was a disaster last season. Can't blame Kubes for this one.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was my mistake, Nemo pointed it out last night. I guess I thought Kubes was in Denver last year even though i know that to not be the case. Oh well.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Dolphins sign EZ to their practice squad

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Former Patriots' RB Jonas Gray is scheduled to work out Tuesday for the Tennessee Titans, according to his agent, <a href="https://twitter.com/seanstellato">@seanstellato</a>.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/640910228087685122">September 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Ball was unimpressive in Denver last year. Had problems in pass pro, not explosive & had very little impact.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. I know.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

why the hell is tennessee stockpiling these RBs for?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably because almost none of them are any good. Gray might be the starter as soon as he signs, if he signs.

14. Blake

Because Sankey reeked of bust last season.

So EZ and James chose other teams...understand James as Baltimore has less CB depth but surprised EZ left as we have some big question marks at WR. Then again....we don't have South Beach.

15. Cannonball

We might be as deep at WR as we've ever been. And EZ couldn't crack the roster last year over Devier Posey and Damaris Johnson who wouldn't or couldn't make the roster this year. Not sure what Miami's WR situation is, but if EZ couldn't get off the practice squad last year, it's understandable if he doesn't think he'd make it off again this year with the Texans and has a better chance with another team.

16. Blake

Can't say I agree with you on depth. Washington is 32 and has lost a step, Shorts has constant hamstring issues, Martin is mediocre on a good day, Strong isn't showing much and Mumphrey is unknown. Wouldn't exactly call that deep. But hope I am wrong and the behind-Hopkins crew over performs.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I thought every guy you mentioned looked like a solid NFL contributor.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL...u can say that about every position group in the NFL if use that type of criteria.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I strongly disagree, the Texans have the deepest WR corps in franchise history. EZ wasn't cracking the top 5 any time soon.

20. Cannonball

What would you say was the best WR group we've had then?

I'd say probably AJ, Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, & David Anderson.

I feel comfortable in Shorts and Washington being better than the "behind-Andre" group. The only question I'd have is if one of the rookies can step up and contribute or not.

Regardless, still doesn't address my point. Do you at least acknowledge we're deeper than last year? Guys who made that roster, Posey and D. Johnson, are gone, replaced by better guys. Martin was the #4 WR last year and now he's #6. We added 4 guys better than him. If EZ couldn't make the team last year with a weaker WR corp, he certainly can't make it now. Like James, he has a better chance of getting promoted to the active roster somewhere else.

#540 Cannonball, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015