1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster Cuts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2015.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd say this is the deepest receiving unit this team has ever had. Keyshawn is probably the 7th best receiver on this team.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

There is NO CHANCE Strong is cut. LOL.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Yeah I agree, I like this crew pretty well. Shorts and Washington are solid, Strong should grow into a good #2. I guess Mumphery will have to field kicks, he looks like a RB. It looks like we won't have a spot for any of the waterbugs. I had high hopes for Worthy with his strength and speed but he hasn't shown much.

#23 Dubious, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Shorts was starter in Jacksonville. Very productive. Actually this probably the deepest the Texans been at WR in a LONG TIME, if EVER. Washington is a veteran possession WR that you need.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Everyone is forgetting Nwachukwu... :eek:

I believe he will stay.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Oh please.

Its one thing to be a fan and like your team, but its silly to dream everything out of your fantasy.

The Jags let go of Shorts, because he is injured often and decline of performance.

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/af...e-in-jacksonville-has-surely-come-to-and-end/

Since the 2012 season, Shorts has gotten worse each and every game, producing less and less each week.

Fans have started to notice his regression too.

Shorts should pay the #Jaguars for letting his sorry ass take the field every week. This dude's garbage & better not get that contract
    — John David (@Lankford84) December 7, 2014

7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At first, I thought you were trying to pass off a weak baseless opinion as another fact, but then saw your compelling evidence of some random fan talking poorly about Shorts.

Totally convinced now. Cut Shorts!:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think Cecil Shorts could have a very productive year. Here's some proof:

3 people like this.
  9. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I think Shorts will have a good year but he will be the third target amongst the WR group...he does some nice things over the middle. I definitely see Strong overtaking the number two spot at some point this year as he improves. Nate Washington will still be good for the Go Routes.

If Shorts does get hurt I think Mumph might be able to come in and take over that slot position. Hope thats not the case cuz don't want to have to throw too many rooks to the fire this year

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Short was on my fantasy team a few years ago. He was not bad.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Obviously, you are not the first one to feel upset because reality isn't work out exactly like you would think.

And you won't be the last one either.

The last 3 years Cecil Shorts playing in the Jags, his receiving yards has been going down from 979 to 777 to last years 557 yards and his TD scored dropped from 7 to 3 and then 1 last season.

If that's not simple enough for you, consider this FACT also :

Cecil Shorts dropped passes stats in the 2014-15 season : he got 53 catches, 5 drops.

Washington : 40 catches, 5 drops

For the Texans, the top 3 players had the highest receptions in the teams are AJ, Hopkins and Foster.

AJ, 85 catches, 4 drops
    Hopkins, 76 catches, 4 drops
    Foster, 38 catches, 2 drops

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

But someone on Twitter disagrees. Cut him

13. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pshew! Thanks for simplifying that!

I was having trouble following your previous in-depth analysis of "guy on twitter derp derp derp derp".

You sure you're not a coach or something?

On a serious note, though, if the Texans were to cut the player with the most explosive play from scrimmage all preseason, I'd be mortified.

#33 crose, Aug 31, 2015
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Funny you say that. I was just telling my brother this is the best group across the board I can remember the Texans having.

You keep Hopkins, Shorts, Washington, Strong, and Mumph. If you keep six, you keep EZ. That's what I'd do since I don't think EZ makes it back to the PS.

Then, at RB, you keep Foster, Blue, Grimes, and Hilliard. Hilliard has beat Polk at his own game, and is younger. Charles James would be your fourth healthy RB and provides you a weapon to move around.

15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Nobody is saying Shot will be cut by the Texans.

But just because a player is still young and fast, doesn't mean that he will be for sure to be good.

The same goes to any old player, just because they are old and played in the league for years, doesn't mean they can provide so called leadership, that's probably the most overrated thing ever.

The same goes for the rooks, just because Strong is a 3rd rounder, doesn't mean he will be a good contributor, at least for this coming season. Actually before the last preseason game, his progress was not that impressed at all. But sure looks now he is safe to be on the roster.

Overall, if you will look at this group and compare with last year, there is no reasons to believe that they can produce the similar output AJ and Hopkins did last year.

The Texans let AJ go because there is no way to pay his contract at his current situation and the team cap situation, but it doesn't mean he is necessary a worse player than Washington or Shorts now.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh God. You mentioned Andre.

The bobbysignal just went up. Here comes more of that crap that ran me off this site for a month.

1 person likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Um, you realize that he had a combo of Gabbert, Henne and a rookie Bortles in those 3 years?

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So he didn't make progress until he made progress.

Got it.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

I thought they might give Ankrah more time but this opens the door for Brown to get additional reps in practice and in Thursday's game. Unless Brown gets better at setting the edge, that 4th OLB is currently on someone else's team.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What are the drop metrics? what percentage is bad and good, because I do think he was on some subpar offenses.

It looks like we are going to emphasize short passing and ball control, over the middle and hots. Catching in traffic is going to be important.

edit* http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

40/5 is a little worse than good players.

(oh my, look at Antonio Brown's numbers
    Antonio Brown WR PIT 129/5)

#40 Dubious, Aug 31, 2015