1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster cuts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 26, 2012.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Something has to be going on with Gaffney or maybe he's just over the hill. He was pretty solid last year and has really been a decent 2nd/3rd receiver type his whole career. I know he had the incident where he lashed out on twitter at his ex-wife or something like that. Hate to guess but it just seems that something is going on with him since there is so little interest around the league.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kubiak: Walter is a good kid, keeps on battlefightin' and has had a heck of a preseason. He's done well for us. I just call the plays and can't control where it goes.

(on WR Kevin Walter only having one reception in the preseason thus far) “I don’t know where the ball is going to go when we call plays. It just all depends. Y’all saw how we were rotating the receivers last night. That’s something I plan on doing when the season starts. We’re going to rotate those guys, those four right now, in my mind. I think you never know how it’s going to pan out, but Kevin has had a good preseason. He’s done everything he’s ever done for us and I expect him to play well.”

Warmly welcome LeStar Jean and Keshawn Martin!

#42 J.R., Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

It has to be something. He had a solid year last year. I am sure he will get picked up soon. However might not get picked until Week 2 because if picked up before opening day, his contract would be guaranteed.

4. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

Studdard???? He won a national title with Texas...sorry I go to Texas so I'm a homer.

5. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

How hard is it to gauge someone's transition from WR2 to WR1? I'd want Lestar Jean running Andre's routes so he can perfect it by the time Andre retires. It's also a good feeling to have Martin in Jacobys spot. Imagine throwing to Jacoby last year, only this time the ball is caught.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I followed the Skins last year. Gafney summary: system receiver, who was a favorite target of sexy Rexy, who can't get separation, who can't get YAC, and has a big package that was shown zoomed in on national during a game. That was it. No one cared that he left DC.

7. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

System receiver huh? I think I know a team that runs that same system...:cool:

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

like I posted in the other thread, Jabar Gaffney has a thigh injury, he didnt play in the last 2 preseason games.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Cowboys cut Shaun Chapas today. He is a young fullback who I think the Texans might take a look at.

10. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

Thanks for the Gaffney summary. I have been watching him since 2002, you know, when he was drafted by the Texans. He is a third down machine. The guy has just always made plays to move the chains. That being said I don't think the Texans need another WR. Time to take a look at Chris Cooley.

11. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Loiseau cut.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Loiseau is being waived according to a person familiar with the situation. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23Texans"><s>#</s><b>Texans</b></a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/drocksthaparty"><s>@</s><b>drocksthaparty</b></a>: any news on my boy Shawn Loiseau?</p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/241558037360435200" data-datetime="2012-08-31T15:28:18+00:00">August 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Players have to clear waivers before going on the practice squad, so that's a possible destination for ILB Loiseau. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23Texans"><s>#</s><b>Texans</b></a></p>&mdash; Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) <a href="https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/241558427472629760" data-datetime="2012-08-31T15:29:51+00:00">August 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not a surprise. Best case for him is practice squad.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

The two guys I am curious if the Texans get can get through waivers if they are cut are Jonathan Grimes and D.J. Bryant. Both had excellent preseasons. I think Bryant will be harder to get through waivers so wouldn't shock me if he makes the team. He should get the nod over Jesse Nading if it comes down to them two.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Waived/released/cut:

QB Case Keenum
    FB Moran Norris
    WR Juaquin Iglesias
    WR Jerrell Jackson
    TE Logan Brock
    C Cody Wallace
    DL Rennie Moore
    LB D.J. Bryant
    LB Delano Johnson
    LB Shawn Loiseau

#53 J.R., Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

There goes D.J. Bryant.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

That will be though, Bryant has shown to be a great pass rusher but so far all he has gone against are 3rd and 4th stringers. Nading is good is decent plus has the added benefits of size and experience. But in the end, either one of them should be good as a 4th to 5th option OLB.

Yeah, that is the part that makes the whole situation sort of tragic for him. I believe they gave him one game or two from last season for his 3 game suspension but because he is still recovering on top of the suspension, they decided to just cut their loses for now. If only one of those things had occurred to him instead of one, we probably would have kept him.

Given the limited amount of Punt/Kicker positions in the NFL we may get him back later when he is healthy but it sucks that things so out his hands wind up hurting his profession like that.

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Wow, they did let Bryant go, I don't think he will clear waivers but who knows.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Doubt any team will claim Keenum. Even if they do, he'd be smart to stay in Houston and learn from the top QB coaches in the league. There's a chance Schaub or Beck won't be back next year. Might as well wait it out and see what happens.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I wonder what OT/OL have been cut by other teams so far.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

CB Sherrick McManis traded to the Bears for FB Tyler Clutts.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Klutz," that's an epic name for a FB. I wonder if he'll Hulk Smash balls down to the ground as he tries to catch them :p