1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster '04 - '05

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Aug 24, 2004.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

These players make up the Rockets roster, as per Rox site. Who actually is with the team on Opening Night?
    (BOLD is Yes. Italics is NO. Underlined is likely, tho unsure. All IMO)

Reece Gaines
    Adrian Griffin
    Juwann Howard
    Jim Jackson
    Mark Jackson (FA)
    Tyronn Lue
    Tracy McGrady
    Bostjan Nachbar
    Scott Padgett
    Eric Piatkowski
    Vassilis Spanoulis**
    Bob Sura
    Maurice Taylor
    Charlie Ward
    Clarence Weatherspoon
    Mike Wilks
    Yao Ming

I only fell certain about seven slots. Last year's two 'big' FA signings and two of the TMc threesome are on my outta here list, for varying reasons.

I believe Lue's expiring contract and Howard's 'affordable' contract make them 'trade bait'.

I am unconvinced this roster is ready for play, nor do I believe management does either.

2. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

You can put Howard and Lue on the list. It's a pipe dream if you think the Rox are going to make some big trade...not going to happen. I think that's a fine roster, maybe not a championship, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

sounds like a personal problem to me :rolleyes:

barring injury, Howard IS going to be in the Rox starting lineup come opening night...and the sooner people accept it, the less stressed you will all be. The Rockets are not the Dallas Mavericks, they don't just make trades for the sake of making trades.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No personal problems, no sitting tight in Rox offices, either.

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I don't see why Howard can't be traded. He is actually wanted by teams and could land a decent player to improve a part of the team. I'm not saying that I think or hope that he is gone, I do like the idea of him in the starting lineup, but he DOES have trade value.

But, I am like xiki, I have a gut feeling for some reason that there will be another move (not Pike for Deke) this team will make and that will involve one of our forwards.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It would about have to, wouldn't it -- and Howard has the best value. He'd be a keeper if Mo or Spoon could be expected to bring anything/much in the open market.

I am a Spoon man, but let's remember -- he was swapped for Meech and Mooch.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I too believe that JHow will be in our starting lineup and further believe that he will be an integral part of our game plan and rightly so. He defends well, has a sweet midrange jumper, and is capable of putting up 30 on any given night if teams decide to swarm both Yao and TMac.

Howard is going to be a great addition to this team and I don't see any good reason to let him go, especially since all we really need now is a backup 5.

8. Willis25

I agree. There is a definate veterans' movement being made with the Rockets - JJ, Howard, Sura, and Ward are all over 30. I think there is a reason for that - mainly, surround your superstars (T-mac & Yao) with quality players who know their roles (defense, rebounds, NO TURNOVERS) and can play off the 2 stars

I agree with xiki that another move is coming, but I do not believe that Howard or JJ (or Ward or Sura for that matter) are going to be traded -

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Three I agree with you about, but only JH could bring a good piece back. With Mo, there's a 4 not 'able' to be traded, as contractually set as he is.

10. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Did anybody realize that only 3 players left from Rudy's team? And I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for Taylor's huge contract and Boki's rookie contract, they would be gone too. Has any team in the NBA history goes through so much changes within 2 year?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the team may be well served by trading Howard, but I don't think they will. I think the intention is he's our starter at PF. It'd be nice to trade him for a starting SF, imo, and let Mo start, but I don't see it happening. I also don't see Lue going. I expect he'll play PG as much as Ward does. And, I don't see Griffin going simply because it's hard to trade a walking injury.

12. Nero

Nero Member

Only people on that list who won't be here are Mark Jackson and Spanoulis. Oh, and Pike will be gone for Mutombo.

That's it, that's our roster, with Wilks, Griffin and Gaines being the 'Taxi Squad' guys.

Unless the Rockets decide they want to let Badiane sit here all year and learn from the end of the bench - in which case, Padgett is likely the odd man out, or maybe Wilks.

Hehehehe hey, even Tom Sluby made an NBA roster for a year.

Our roster ain't that bad.

:D

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, it's not. But -- which West roster is? This is a balanced conference with only two, maybe three, teams 'locks' for home court. And only one, maybe two, teams 'locks' for the lotto.

14. Willis25

I understand that sintiment, Denver is definately better and so is Houston, the Spurs (with the T-wolves returning the same first place team).

BUT - The Suns and the Mavs are questions (remember - Q played his best games early in the season and is an injury risk AND Damiper was a below average player every season BEFORE his contract year - so there are no guarentees there). The Lakers have some roster balenceing to do (too many SFs - and nothing else)

At the end of the day - while I see how Houston can improve, I just don't see a deal out there (that BOTH sides will do) that will get it done this off season (and stop with the Hinrich for Mo T trade posts) - JVG has about 9-10 players he can be confortable going to every night - so as soon as we get the backup C, I think he is ready to go to battle with this squad.

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

You know what is interesting, is the fact that the Pike for Deke trade hasn't been finalized yet. What is the hold up? Bulls looking for a better option? From the reports, Jon Berry was the only other guard they were pursuing with a trade of Deke, and it has been reported that he is re-signing with Denver. I wonder if it is the Rockets holding off waiting for a) the 60 day waiting period to trade one or more of the guys we recieved from Orlando to expire and/or b) waiting to see if other deals will happen (Allen, Carter, Peja) where another player becomes available in the process (ie: Mutombo available after the Crawford deal). No, I don't think this roster is finished and they are just waiting to have all options available to them before the strike.

16. CoinToss

CoinToss Contributing Member

The Starters:

Yao Ming
    Juwann Howard
    Jim Jackson
    Tracy McGrady
    Charlie Ward

The Bench:

Bob Sura
    Maurice Taylor
    Dekembe Motumbo*(assuming trade goes through)
    Tyronn Lue
    Reece Gaines
    Adrian Griffin
    Bostjan Nachbar

The IR:

Clarence Weatherspoon (might switch with Gaines or Griffin)
    Mike Wilks (if here)
    Scott Padgett (if here)

Not here

Mark Jackson (FA)
    Vassilis Spanoulis
    Eric Piatkowski

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK with all the above -- also, what if one or more ex-Knicks were to be involved?

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

BUT - who can you really count out? Might GS and/or LAC be a play-off threat in the East? Who, of the remaining in the West, is certain to be sitting home on May Day???

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

How is one player that is going to show he can play. I have always liked him as a player, just never liked his contract and didn't think he deserved level 1 money when he is a level 2 player.

Definently can rebound better than the PF we have right now so he is a great addition in my opionion and should take the starting job over Mo.

20. MONON

MONON Member

I could live with the roster as is. However the Pike for Mutombo deal & possibly 1 more will happen IMHO!