1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rose's case for MVP?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

t_mac1's favorite lines:

"again, blah blah blah"

"do you even..."

"i still think ____ SHOULD"

"it's arguable..."

2. noize

noize Contributing Member

Both Jeff Van Gudy and Marc Smith said Rose deserve the MVP. A drastic change of opinion coming from someone who both thought Lebron was number one at the beganning of the season. That just tell you the commitment that Rose has in wanting to be the best. Jeff then had Howard second, Dirk third and Lebron forth.

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

While all that might be true, personally who would chose over him? D12, Dirk, Lebron? Head to head Rose has stepped up in those games against his fellow MVP candidates and beat them all.

Rose won't be the perfect MVP and I get that but he is playing like the best player in the league, he's emerged from a star to a superstar and he is more deserving then anybody else. I've watched a lottt of Bulls games this year and there's stretches in games where the Bulls simply do not score when he isn't on the floor. Crazy thing is he's only going to improve.

4. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Ah t_mac1 still nuthugging Lebron and denouncing any player the threatens his idol's crown. Ever wonder how the hell BSPN have an audience... it's this guy.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You focus your mvp discussion mainly on stat.

That itself is probably the most flawed justification for a player winning MVP.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that is an excellent list from Jeff, One of the most knowledgable basketball minds in the world.

7. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I do believe he made decent headway in seperating himself from the crowd this past week because I do believe in the last week he led the nba in plus/minus with +52.

since all you haters love to use his effiency against him.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Ryan (LA)

What could possibly be your argument against Rose as MVP OTHER than PER?

John Hollinger (2:10 PM)

You mean, besides the fact we're giving it to the key offensive player on the league's 15th-best offense, when the story of the team's surprise season has been their top-rated defense, and he's been the worst defender on the team in terms of plus-minus ... for the second time in three years? Must just be my irrational hater bias at work again.

also ESPN thorpe has rose at 3rd in his rankings.

and those points are very valid. i still stand the bulls would be a middle of the pack team without their defense, no matter how great rose can be offensively (which he hasn't).

9. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

When LeBron and co. got knocked off by Magic, he was defending Alston. When LeBron and co. got knocked off by Celtics, Rondo was killing. He boasted how he would switch to defend Rondo and it didn't happen. And somehow you believe LeBron's why they were a good defense team?

Varejao is just like Noah when it comes to defense. And somehow you used this against Rose? When LeBron's MVPs got rescinded, you'll have a case.

10. clippy

clippy Member

LBJ's last two MVPs were about as obvious of choices as there have ever been. He had the best numbers in the league on the best team in the league with no obvious #2. In retrospect, it's no obvious just how bad his supporting cast was and that makes his MVPs even more deserved. The MVP is a regular season reward so the fact that the Cavs didn't win it all either year has no bearing on the results.

This year, it's not quite as straightforward because although Rose is the clear #1 on his team and they have a great record, his numbers aren't as good as his competitors (which is those guys who are also #1 options on elite teams). Breaking it down...

* You can rule Howard out because the Magic aren't in that top echelon of teams (sort of like Chris Paul in recent years).
    * LBJ and Wade both have better numbers than Rose but since they are on the same team, and that team currently is worse than Chicago, that plays against them (sort of like Shaq + Kobe in the early 2000s).
    * The Spurs have the runaway best record in the league but no clearcut first option.
    * Ditto for the Celtics-- that's a team effort leading them to the top record in the East.
    * The Lakers look very good but Gasol has Bynum & Kobe.
    * You have to put Dirk up there. The Mavs have a top record, and he's their clearcut #1. Also, they really suffered when he went out. However, he won't get it due to the fiasco from 2007 (I think it was). And that's a shame, because he is really a great player and is having a better season than Rose.

So.. yeah, Rose will get it.

11. t_mac1

1) to know how impactful a player is, check their +/- over 82 games. lebron has had at least a top 2 +/- for the past 4-5 years.

the last 2 years were no-brainers for him as the MVP. he was having HISTORIC regular seasons.

his playoff failures are another story.

rose's +/- are mediocre. VERY mediocre.

12. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

+/- is a team stats, Cavs used to blow out bad team and their +/- looked good. Varejao was 3rd in the league last year, that said it all.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Derrick Rose's line after 1... 9 points (4-9 FG, 1-1 on 3-pointers), 2 rebounds, 5 assists, 0 turnovers. Played all 12 minutes, +10. Bulls lead the Hawks 31-21.

14. Obito

I'm watching Derrick Rose play right now and he makes every play for the Bulls, I really don't know how you can't see him as the main catalyst of Chicago success.

MVP enough said.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Man, Chicago is on fire.

16. t_mac1

2nd unit continues to look pretty awesome to me. always had great D, and the offense has been coming alive in the past few games.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Damn the Hawks are ass.

18. Obito

20 points 8/13, 4/4 from 3, 7 assists, 3 rebounds, zero turnovers. Buzzer beating 3.

C'mon now man, I know you're smart poster but this anti-Rose thing is getting old. Rose is the most valuable player in the NBA right now and everyone see's it.

19. t_mac1

more stats for y'all for rose's candidacy:

rose is #2 in usage rating behind kobe. that's expected b/c he's the PG.

where does rose rank in win shares? #7
    how about in win shares per 48 minutes? #14
    defensive win shares? #10 (luol deng is freakin' #3)
    offensive win shares? #11
    PER/efficiency? #12

the only players who are top 3 in ALL of these categories? lebron and dwight.

just putting it out there.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Rose has a huge first half and T_Mac1 in here talking about the Bulls bench.

Best believe if this was LeBron he would be saying man LeBron looks great tonight.