1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rose's case for MVP?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Mar 2, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i'm watching another bulls game, and i'm watching another game of inefficiency by derrick rose. if he wins the MVP this year, him and iverson will go down as the two most inefficient winners of all time.

and there was an ESPN article about how rose +/- is the same when he's on or off the floor. EWA isn't that impressive.

the bulls are winning with stifling defense first and foremost. don't get me wrong, rose is a key offensively. but is he MVP good?

thoughts?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes Rose is MVP good. Not playing his best ball right now. His shooting the last 3-4 games is terrible though. But his body of work carrying the team when Boozer and Noah were out far outweighs 3-4 recent games. Seems to coincide with Noah's return but I'm sure they will figure it out.

Have you watched Rose the whole season or do you just cherry-pick his bad games? No sane person who has seen Rose the entire season can doubt he's near or at the top of the MVP race. There are 20+ games left in the season to shake things out.

Who exactly would you say is clearly ahead of Rose for MVP now?

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Rhetorical question....

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Although a good case can be made for DRose, D12 is the mvp this year imo.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i watched probably 75% of rose's games this season. what he does offensively is huge for the bulls, but i feel their defense is what really carries them and allows them to stay in EVERY game whether rose has a great game or not. their defense is REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY good.

i don't think you understand how great that defense is (boston-championship level great) and they're doing it without a lot of great defenders. props to thibs once again.

i think performance-wise, lebron and dwight howard are CLEARLY ahead of rose for MVP (those 2 are heads and shoulders above everybody basically). it's not even a question. both are MUCH more efficient, and do it on both ends.

EDIT: plus APO, MVP-type players don't have long stretches of bad play to end the year. rose has been pretty inefficient before the all-star break except for that great performance vs the spurs.

dwight would win it if his team would win more games, and end up with a top 3 record in the L. he's playing the best ball out of anybody right now and at the right time. MVPs play their best ball after the all-star break. and dwight is beasting.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

He's almost there.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I do understand how good the Bulls defense is. One award that should be unanimous is Thibs getting Coach of the Year. It is incredible how he has transformed that team coming after pathetic Vinny Del Negro. Even though Thibs is a bit more intense than most NBA coaches, Bulls players probably feel like they died and went to heaven. I'll repeat something from earlier: It's unfair for a team to have Thibs and Ron Adams on the same staff (teaching defense).

I'll accept LeBron and Howard as being ahead of Rose, but it ain't over yet. I'm proud of Howard for his growth and avoiding his usual mid-season slowdown after his typical strong start.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well, the problem is that the MVP award is simply the best player on the top 3 or so teams most likely to win the trophy....so if the team as a whole is stop 3, then technically he should be MVP.

He'd probably still win it based on the literal definition of the award though. All the other teams are so stacked that they'd endure an injury to their top player a lot better than the bulls would. What other player would run the offense is Rose went down? Making Boozer the focal point just doesn't sound great. Hard to say though, i don't think Rose has gone down for a significant amount of time this year, has he? Booze and noah did though and they still played well.

9. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Losing to Atlanta doesn't help Rose's cause..

10. Landry92

Landry92 Member

This year is the first from a long time where we dont have a clear cut winner 2 months before

I would give to DHoward because of his offensive and defensive impact

11. ashiin

ashiin Member

remember when rose sank the three to force overtime against us? You still dont find him mvp worthy?

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Pretty sure Howard and James have hard worse losses than Rose losing to Atlanta.

13. lean

lean Member

Who could forget? Since that game I've felt he's MVP but admittedly I only watch Rockets games, I don't get the chance to watch other teams as much and it's hard to just look at numbers and decide who is better.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

T-mac1 what do you have against Rose? You're the same guy that said Wall will easily pass Derrick Rose as a better PG in a few years. This was like a month ago which Rose was putting in work at the time.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Rose's last 5 games

8-22
    9-24
    7-19
    7-17
    5-21

35% shooting 21% from 3

Isn't helping his MVP case, unfortunately. I'm rooting for him though.

17. VBG

VBG Member

Gotta be Dwight or Lebron for me

18. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Would say the same about Heat losing to NY, not good for Bron..

Still its between Rose, Howard and Bron for MVP.
    Durant is on the outside looking in, but is pretty far off.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

I don't think Durant will get it. He also hurt his ankle tonight so hopefully that doesn't keep him down.

20. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Rose is legit...no question he will be in the running for it.

Rose
    Brewer (Korver in the 4th)
    Deng
    Boozer
    Noah

That's a damn good lineup. The Bulls are gonna win 70% of the remaining games. I guess if the Heat dont slow down it will be between both of them. Should be interesting though